Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:54 PM   #1  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Default Advice on Sculpt/Power classes

I'm hoping some of the exercise pros can give me some advice on this. I am recently getting back into working out and the fitness center I go to offers a lot of different exercise classes in their group studios. Some of these classes are called "Sculpt" or "Power" and are described as strengthening all the major muscle groups, using dumbbells, balls, bands, and using exercise movements like squats, lunges, and presses.
I have been using the resistance machines (Nautilus) and also some free weights, and I know that what is recommended is to not work out the same muscle groups with weights two days in a row but to take a day or two off. My question is, if I work out with weights/Nautilus, is it beneficial, or is it counterproductive to take one of these "sculpt" or "power" classes the next day? I am thinking that these classes work the same muscle groups but probably with a lesser intensity (more reps with a lower resistance since there are no weight stacks involved and only small weights are contained in the equipment closet.) But I certainly don't want to work out in futility and undermine all my good work.
Oh - I know about the cardio aspect -- have that planned out. Just want to know if I can do the resistance classes on days next to the weight lifting ones.
Advice please?
Thanks!
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 04:02 AM   #2  
Meg

Spiny, based on the "power" classes that I've taken, I say yes. Go ahead and take one the day after a weightlifting workout.

The classes usually feature light weights and high reps. In ours, we spend five minutes per muscle group, lifting to different tempos but never resting. It builds endurance but isn't going to stress the muscles you worked out the day before the same way that a set of traditional weights would.

The first year I was lifting, I did weights during the week and took a power class on Sunday just to change things up.

Have fun!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #3  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I defer to Meg but I was going to say no. This is actually interesting for me because I take my power class on Wednesdays (also just for variety) and I was therefore doing my own lifting then on Mondays and Fridays. Maybe this opens up more opportunity for me!

Last edited by elisa822; 01-10-2008 at 08:02 PM.
elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #4  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Thanks! Meg, that was the answer I was hoping for!
Spinymouse is offline   Reply With Quote