Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 10-24-2007, 01:31 PM   #1  

S/C/G: way to high/ 150

Default Does Curves Really Work?

I am currently doing a 21 day fitness program at curves. I had my first work out today and I really liked it. However, I was wondering if there is a long term possibility here? It seems like it will get really boring soon. And, I was the youngest person in there. I mean it is slightly inspiring that if a 60 somthing can do the workout then so can I.
I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were on Curves.
Stardutchess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:43 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 188/ticker/130

Height: 5'3"

ive never done curves...but imho, i think any form of exercise program will work, with proper eating. you will start to tone and strengthen...they key is finding something you like and being able to stick with it.
GatorgalstuckinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 01:45 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Curves is a great way to get women who weren't exercising to actually start exercising. I think Curves is great for those who don't want to go to the gym, don't know where to start or need the motivation of going someplace to get their exercise done.

With that, I think if you are dedicated that you will outgrow Curves and need either a real gym or some equipment at home. Walking on your own is also a great way to supplement or go beyond your Curves workout.

I would also say this is my opinion from hearing about the opinions of others as I've never been to Curves.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:11 PM   #4  
Kristina

S/C/G: 230/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4

I love Curves. It is what is good for me right now. It's quick and easy - and I have access 24/7. I do realize, though, that I will need to move on within a year or so. But - it's a great way to get started.
Prissiroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #5  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

Former Curves member here. And I only quit because of hubby's long hours and no one to watch our son while I went.

For me, I think it was a great program for either beginning OR continuing and never found it boring. The reason being is that I could change my workout to suit me, that there were others to talk to, and that it was ONLY 30 minutes. It's hard to get too bored in that short of time. And you can modify your workout as you find yourself growing weary of the same ole same ole. You can just the resting platforms to do more than walking, like jumping jacks, lunges, whatever. Many Curves have extras too, like hoola hoops in some of them, and you can spend some time after the workout hooping for something different.

As for it working, for some there it did, and for others it didn't. The reason for that is that you only get out of anything what you're willing to put into it. The gal who came and barely moved a machine, spent most of her time talking and eventually quit claiming that Curves didn't work is quite different than the one who came, worked extra hard at each machine and followed a diet program in conjunction. Some people go once a week and think that Curves didn't work. Others go 5 days a week and see results. And some may go 5 but again, they may do more talking than working out.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:22 PM   #6  

Default Curves Does Work

I have been a member of Curves for a couple of years now. The key, as with all exercise is that you actually have to show up and do it to see the results! I haven't been able to go for about a month now and it's driving me crazy!! It's something I enjoy doing. It's my 30 minutes for me!

Talk to the owner and the staff to see if more younger people show up at a certain time of day. Usually right after work at 5:30pm there are more women my age versus if I go during the day.

At my Curves in Bellevue, Nebraska, the staff are wonderful. I even got a call last Saturday from a staff member to make sure everything was o.k. because I hadn't been there in a while. They really care about you as a person, not just someone to get money from like other gyms.

If you are trying to lose weight, you will probably have to do alternative cardio, or go to Curves more than just 3 days a week!

I hope this helps!
aswalther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:40 PM   #7  
Simply Filling Technique

I have never tried Curves although they do seem readily available and I have never heard any thing "bad" about them myself. I have belonged to gyms and to the YWCA in the past.

There have been so many good points mentioned here that I won't repeat those. What I would like to add is that when you are thinking about working out just don't limit yourself to that 30 minutes or so at the gym. Start building activity in your life period. I used to ask my husband to share in our household chores. Now that I am seriously dieting, I don't! The more I do the more fat I burn.

Besides, working out I also have increased my overall activity level throughout my day. I have also chosen to finish a lot of the unfinished projects that I have in my life as I am sure you do as well. How about deciding to clean out and organize the garage one Saturday? Raking the leaves now that it is fall? Washing the car? Start looking around for physical things to do and before you know it you will using the other muscles that your work out didn't use.

Good luck!

Last edited by pamatga; 10-24-2007 at 03:40 PM. Reason: spelling
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 236/ticker/135

Height: 5'3"

I lasted there a year before I got bored. I think if I were to do it again, I'd ask to be weighed weekly rather than monthly and just leave the measurements for once monthly.
ChrissyBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 04:29 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 275/202/140

Height: 5'2"

I've belonged to Curves for about a year and a half now. I do really enjoy it and I do feel I get more out of it some day than others, depending how much I put into it. I've thought about checking out other gyms but decided I wasn't ready to go to a co-ed gym. I am much older than you but even at your age I personally would not have been comfortable being over weight and going to a gym we most people were very fit, I have no problem going into Curves with all ladies, young and old.

With all that being said I have heard some very good things lately about Fit Zone. They not only have a simular curcit training but offer different exercise classes too. You may want to check them out before you make a committment.

I too believe that any and all exercise or activity you do is going to help promote your weight loss and strengthen your body. Good Luck
wanna b thin is offline   Reply With Quote