Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-30-2007, 06:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 153.5/107.5/105

Height: 5'0"

Default Runners, a question about times...

When I started running, and couldn't go for more than 30 seconds without having to stop, my goal was to be able to do 5ks and then I figured I'd work on speed a bit. Then when I'm able to do 5ks in an impressive amount of time I want to increase distance again. I don't know if this is the right way to do it, but it's working for me so far.

I'm finally able to run 5ks so it's time to work on speed. BUT, I don't really know how fast I'm going, at least not real accurately and I don't know what I should be aiming for. I took my cell phone with me one day and as far as I could tell, I'm somewhere around 10 minutes a mile. That's give or take a bit and depends on the day as well since some days I can go faster but other days I'm really slow.

Anyway, two questions:

1/ How pathetic is that time?

2/ How fast should I be aiming for to run a mile? I don't ever plan on racing, nor do I care to be a speed demon, BUT I do want to be able to do a really impressive pace.

Thanks!

PS. I still can't believe I'm sitting here discussing the 5ks I'm running! Less than 6 months ago I was watching someone run on the side of the road and commented to my MIL that I could never be a runner...now I really enjoy it. It's so much more fun than walking.
goinforthegold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

If you just started running and you're doing 10-minute miles, you're doing fantastic! I've been running for about a year now and I'm just getting to that pace. I worked on distance first, however, and honestly that made me faster at the shorter distances. When you can run 10 miles or more, a 3 mile run feels very short, so you can go faster. Obviously your mile pace will go up on longer runs because you'll have to conserve some energy for endurance. My pace on a 10+ mile run is around 11:30 or slower usually, though I'm getting under that lately. For a 5K I'm usually between 9:30 and 10:30 now, but it took a while to get there, and it took increasing my weekly mileage.

As for what pace is impressive, it just depends on who you're talking to! My husband runs 5Ks at about a 6:00 mile pace, but I'll never have the physical ability to do that. It took me almost an HOUR longer to run our half marathon on 9/3. I was incredibly impressed with myself for finishing it, though! It's all about setting your own individual goals and watching your improvement.

The best advice I can give you, though, is to use an online running log so you can easily track your improvements. I don't know if I'm allowed to plug it here, but I use runningahead.com and it's fantastic. They have handy graphs and calendars and discussion forums. You can track every run in as detailed a manner as you wish. What I love is that when I put in the total time and distance it calculates my average pace. Then I can look at ALL my workouts and see how much my pace is improving. You can even track the mileage on your shoes -- it's lovely. Plus, you can look at other people's logs to see what kind of workouts they're doing and get inspiration and information from them.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 07:13 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 275/137/140

Height: 5'7"

If you just started running and are at a 10 minute per mile pace, that is impressive! Like Lisa, I've been running just under a year now, and have just gotten to the point where those speeds are doable. My best advice to you is to really focus more on mileage at this point rather than speed. Most of the advice I've gotten is that in the earlier stage of your running careere, speed will come with logging the miles more than trying to achieve a set time.
WindyCityChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #4  

I started running at the end of May/first of June, in there somewhere. I don't know that I'm exactly at 10 minutes per mile. I need to get a stop watch. I was only using my cell phone which doesn't count seconds or anything so it's likely somewhat over 10 minutes...it did seem to be under 11 though...on that particular day. I've only timed like that once.

Somewhere I had heard of people doing 6 minute miles before...but wasn't sure if that was like an olympic athlete or something . I kinda thought being able to do 8 minutes a mile would be good...maybe I should aim a little lower? I do know this will take time though.

I originally had set out this plan of training mainly because of where I run and I thought that 5ks was a reasonable amount to be able to run just starting out. Heck, I was partying when I ran my first mile without stopping. I run at a race track near my house. It's actually practically across the street. It's a training track for race horses and is exactly a half mile for one lap. It's really an almost perfect spot to run. It's nice soft, yet firmly packed gravel, there is a really slight hill on one side, a straight stretch around the top corner, a slight downward slope on the other side to another straight stretch on the bottom turn. The slope up helps me get stronger for hills and the downward one gives me a break and boy can I ever really fly going down it....it's sooooooo much fun. It's all sheltered and completely surrounded by trees so it's private and not really overly windy or freezing now that the weather is getting cold...plus, they plow it all winter. I really couldn't ask for anything better....except that it's only a half mile. So for every mile, I have to do two laps...by the time I hit 6 laps I'm getting way bored. I kinda figured that by sticking to just over 6 laps and working on speed that it would also help with distance in the long run. I thought if I get faster/stronger I will then be able to go farther at the slower paces. Will it not work as well for me that way? Sometimes I wish I had taken a running course. I also come home and do my Push DVD for 40-50 minutes everyday when I get home from running, so going farther just takes too much time, I can't fit it all in.

The other thing is that I have severe asthma so the biggest thing that holds me back are my lungs. Whenever I try to go faster, my lungs hurt and get very tight...though my legs are fine. Even when I'm done doing the 5ks, my legs feel fine, I'm just a little bored at that point and my chest hurts. I was hoping that by working on speed by doing intervals of slow and fast that my lungs would strengthen more.

Yikes, I feel like all I've done is provide excuses not to push myself for father distances and I HATE when people give excuses for taking the easy way out. *sigh*

At the risk of sounding like even more of wuss though , for right now, I'm content doing the 5ks. I'm not sure if I'll ever get to a point that running 10ks or more is something I'll be able to do. Of course, I never thought I'd be able to run 5ks either so you never know what will come.

Oh, and another question...any chance that running builds muscles in your butt too?
Old 09-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

1. Not pathetic at all

2. There is no magic target. How fast you can run is dependent on so many factors including genetics. Target is a very personal thing. My target for everyday runs is pretty loose. My target for races is tighter but it is based on how I did last time, the weather, how I feel today, the terrain, etc. Its not based on anyone else
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 08:54 PM   #6  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Running builds muscle everywhere in the lower body to varying degree, running hills will build butt more, but shouldnt be done more than 1/week. Speedwork should also be limited to 1/week.

If you think you run ~10's right now then your target should not be "below 8's". Your target should be 9:50 or 9:45. When you reach 9:45 then your target can be 9:30, etc. I move my target 1 second at a time one race at a time. Also, what your RACE speed or occasional HARD RUN if you choose not to race and what your DAILY run speed are 2 very different things. You should not run hard very often or you get injured. For example, I did run a 7:45/mile 5K last week, but I spend most of my daily runs at about 10:15 min/mile. give or take.

Your ultimate potential speed will not happen quickly. All things being equal it takes at least 6 months of consistant running for a solid cardiovascular base to be formed. It takes time to develop the solid base across the full spectrum of intensities needed for running (high intensity, hills, etc.)

It is not necessary to run 1/2 marathons to get faster. But running farther once a week will help. Running consistantly will help (4x a week?)

But personally....I wouldnt worry so much about times. 80-90% of your runs should just ...just run. Run at what feels good that day.

Last edited by ennay; 09-30-2007 at 08:59 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:46 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I like that, Ennay. Well said.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 09:43 AM   #8  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I run pretty consistently at an 11.5 minute mile, and this works for me - I started the C25K the first week in June. I find if I try to run faster, not farther, I am tired AND sore. I'm happy with my snail's pace!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 10:58 AM   #9  

Height: 5'7"

If you are running, your pace is not pathetic. Some of us are faster or slower due to the factors that everyone else has already talked about. Great job on getting out there!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:10 PM   #10  

I just wanted to update this and thank you guys for your great advice. Today I went for a run out the way I used to walk when I was walking 10ks. I stopped doing that the past month or two b/c I was just concentrating on the running and the race track here is quicker and easier. Anyway, I went out today just for something different. When I was walking this route and first started running, I'd start running about 2ks after starting, my original goal was to run the whole way out (another 3ks) and then was I able to do that, my goal was to run all the way back in as well. Running back in was always harder b/c it's more uphill...the way out was more downhill. Anyway, I always walked most of the way back in and never ran any of the hills. So today...I started running in my usual spot, ran to the end, turned around and....RAN ALL THE WAY BACK to past where I started!! I couldn't believe it. I even ran all the hills!!! WOW! AND my legs didn't even hurt!!! OMG, I couldn't believe it. I went out with the car after that to use my trip meter and see how far I ran...ready for this....SEVEN KILOMETERS!!! I walked 3 and ran 7!! I'm so proud of myself!!
Old 10-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #11  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

wooot woot!
Old 10-13-2007, 03:28 AM   #12  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinforthegold View Post
I just wanted to update this and thank you guys for your great advice. Today I went for a run out the way I used to walk when I was walking 10ks. I stopped doing that the past month or two b/c I was just concentrating on the running and the race track here is quicker and easier. Anyway, I went out today just for something different. When I was walking this route and first started running, I'd start running about 2ks after starting, my original goal was to run the whole way out (another 3ks) and then was I able to do that, my goal was to run all the way back in as well. Running back in was always harder b/c it's more uphill...the way out was more downhill. Anyway, I always walked most of the way back in and never ran any of the hills. So today...I started running in my usual spot, ran to the end, turned around and....RAN ALL THE WAY BACK to past where I started!! I couldn't believe it. I even ran all the hills!!! WOW! AND my legs didn't even hurt!!! OMG, I couldn't believe it. I went out with the car after that to use my trip meter and see how far I ran...ready for this....SEVEN KILOMETERS!!! I walked 3 and ran 7!! I'm so proud of myself!!
You're awesome!

Kara
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 06:14 AM   #13  

Thanks gals!