Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 09-08-2007, 01:04 PM   #46  

How hard are you running for your run sections, Allison? You should be aiming for a conversational pace-- slow enough and easy enough that you can speak in full sentences.
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:06 PM   #47  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMaria View Post
How hard are you running for your run sections, Allison? You should be aiming for a conversational pace-- slow enough and easy enough that you can speak in full sentences.
Well, I talk to my dog sometimes--things like "don't pull" and "get out of my way or I'll step on you." And I say "hi" or "good morning" to anyone I pass by. I don't know if I could carry on a long conversation, but I'm not that breathless at all. And I don't feel like I'm running fast at all--in fact it is more of a slow jog because I know if I speed up, I'll not be able to continue (no stamina).
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:15 PM   #48  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

Did 1.2 miles staight running for a total of 2.33 miles. Will walk again tonight and try to get some water exercise in tomorrow, then run again on Monday. Hoping to get up to 1 1/2 miles on Monday and start adding more in each time I run until I get to the end of C25K!
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:53 AM   #49  

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'7 1/2

I've started back running, trying to work my way back up to week 7. Yesterday I did 14 minutes, next time I plan to do 20 and then 25. I'm mostly trying to make sure my foot/ankle are in good condition. I wrap them for each run. Hopefully I can still do the 5k that I signed up for at the end of October.
LeedaRenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 01:05 PM   #50  

Even for someone who's not coming off an injury, that's awfully quick for a beginner to be increasing mileage.

If it were me I'd hang out at whatever's comfortable right now for a week or so (not increasing time/distance past what works well right now), then bump up to an additional 3-5 minutes per run, again whatever's comfortable, and hold there for a week or so as well. Rinse, repeat.

C25K is very fast-paced, faster than a lot of new runners can handle. Lots of folks get injured and become former runners trying to keep up with it. You've had years to reach your current level of fitness or lack of fitness. Another few weeks (or even another few months) to reach a fitness goal isn't a big deal in the bigger picture.
Old 09-09-2007, 02:20 PM   #51  
Starting Over

Leeda be careful or else you'll re-hurt yourself. Been there, done that so now I am off of C25K and sort of just adding in small amounts of mileage each time I run to play it safe. Formula is working thus far. I did 15 mins yesterday which ended up being 1.2 miles - slow yes but I'm being careful. Tomorrow I am only upping it to about 1.4-1.5 miles. As much as I'd love to just bump up to 2+ right away, it will screw me up in the end.

Today was a walk day and I am taking the kids to the park in a little bit and maybe the pool later if they are driving me crazy!
Old 09-09-2007, 03:45 PM   #52  

Cakses, even safer would be not to increase distance/time every time you run.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:47 PM   #53  
Getting there...

S/C/G: 195.6/see ticker/135

Height: 5' 6"

Angry

No running for me today. I woke up with a head cold a couple of days ago and couldn't breathe well this morning. Taking drugs knocks me out, so no running. Ah well. I did take the dogs for a walk though...

Jax
jaxjob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:49 PM   #54  
Wow...It knows my name...

S/C/G: 205/184/140

Height: 5'5"

Bleurgh - I've just 'finished' week one but i've decided to re-do it. What I like about C25K is I get to tweak it as much as I want. I'm having a lickle problem though you know... the problem is that after I run I do a cool down walk and maybe have a stretch and the next day my muscles are feeling fine - but then the next time I run I feel a tightness in my calfs... any idea what I should do? it kinda sucks because it means i'm tired quicker than usual.
seranab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 06:57 PM   #55  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Serena - I found this happened to me, too... it still does if I don't follow my own advice: STRETCH! Honestly, I could not get my head around the idea that I had to stretch BEFORE I ran... I mean, a five-minute, brisk walk should be enough, and walking after, and stretching after, right? Well, when I do that, my calves and shins are sore the next time I run. Of course, I have no idea if it is just me, but if I give myself a goos solid four or five minutes stretching BEFORE the warm-up walk (and nowadays ten minutes stretching AFTER!) I have a lot less trouble. Worth a try?

Good luck! Heather

EDIT: Actually - even today, I found I had to go the first mile before my legs 'caught up' with my brain!!

Last edited by HeatherAngel; 09-09-2007 at 06:58 PM.
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 10:21 AM   #56  

Ok, I'm taking ya'lls advice and keeping it at 14-15 minutes for the rest of the week, and I'll keep the same time for at least a week every time I increase it. Once I get back up to 25 minutes, I will start week 7.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:39 PM   #57  

S/C/G: 214/ticker/175

Height: 5'8

So I slacked off last week. I was away on the long weekend, then it was just excuse after excuse. Whoops.

I went out this morning determined to just do more than I do two weeks ago (6/8 intervals of the week 1 runs). Y'all - I did them all! I was so freaking excited when I got home. I think I definitely pushed myself a little farther than I ought to, because I needed a hit from my puffer when I got home, but I did it! Yippeee!!
practiceliving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:28 PM   #58  
Starting Over

Woo hoo everyone! Ya'll seem to be getting back on track!

I did 1.5 miles exactly of running today at a 12:30 pace. I am not sure if I am going to up it or not again. It felt good but not amazing. I am off to shower now.

I am down another pound too! And today marks the 1 year mark (as in one yeat TO GO) on my DH's deployment. Now I can start counting it down. Was having a hard time wrapping my mind around 15 months lol. So I've got 365 days (give or take) to lose this weight!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:51 PM   #59  

cakses, congrats on the pound!

I didn't know your DH was overseas. Does he know you're trying to lose weight or is it going to be a big surprise when he comes back? I know that he will be happy to see you again no matter what!
Old 09-10-2007, 06:52 PM   #60  

marianne, congrats on getting back into it!