Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-20-2007, 03:44 PM   #1  

Height: 5'2"

Default Shoes for running...

I REALLY need some good running shoes. Right now I am using a pair of New Balance shoes and they are killing my feet and knees. What shoes do all of you runners wear? I heard that "Brooks" (or something like that) is good, but can those shoes be bought in any shoe store or are they usually only in "running" stores because I've never actually come across a runner's store before. I don't think we have one where I am from. Anyway, please give me some suggestions if you have any. Thanks so much!!
Jpye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:16 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 141

Height: 5 5

I have Brooks and I love them! I bought them in a running store though. Did you do a search on the internet for running stores in your area? You might be suprised to find that one is close by. I wouldnt recommend buying them off of the internet because the guy sized my foot and I normally wear a 7 1/2-8 and in these I wear a 9. I would have never known to order a size and a half bigger!!
Having a good pair of sneakers def make a difference in running! I would recommend getting a good pair!
Briza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #3  
Running Babe

Go to a store and get fitted! There are so many shoes out there and we're so different. I am using Saucony Hurricanes and love them, but they work well with my feet!

Ali
Sweater Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 06:07 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I've had Brooks, Nike and Reebok and I've liked them all, but I was fitted at a running store every time... You should definitely get a good pair, your body will thank you...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 07:41 PM   #5  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

I've been running for three weeks now in my sturdy and well cushioned Skechers - NOT the fancy 'fashionable' ones, no!

Today I have ordered a pair of Asics 1120's that I have been assured will help my knees, so I'll let you know!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #6  

Heather, Sketchers are fashion shoes. Nice to look at and fine to walk around in, NOT fine to run in no matter what Sketchers tells you.

OP, Agreed, you NEED to go to a running store. (Don't worry, they've seen bigger folks than you, and they won't laugh.) Check fleetfeet.com to see if there's one near you, or look at these lists of of good running stores in the US http://www.runnersworld.com/article/...1869-0,00.html http://www.runningnetwork.com/featur...Dec06list.html .
MariaMaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:43 AM   #7  
Heather 2.0

S/C/G: 290/281/139

Height: 5'8"

Maria - I TOTALLY agree - I bought my Skechers about four years ago as comfy trainers for occasionally walking the dogs, back when I did NO exercise, and they are sturdy, so they've been okay for starting out. I went to The Running Room for the Asics, and the guy there was brutally honest about my shoes - which I expected - but he did also say that starting something like the Couch to 5K programme is fine in just about anything, since the 'running' component is less than ten minutes, no more than three times a week.

It's as I feel I am progressing, and see that I plan to stick with this, that I realised I wanted - and needed - better shoes.

The Skechers have been a well-cushioned, stable shoe for everyday walking and basic stuff - now I need something more I am hoping the Asics will be AWESOME!

Heather
HeatherAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #8  

Height: 5'7"

Some people have really good biomechanics and can get away with just about anything. Some people have really bad biomechanics and can have pain after just one short running session. Most people are somewhere in between.

If there is no running store nearby, I would try the internet rather than run in Sketchers. roadrunnersports.com has reasonable prices and a good exchange policy. While it is not a great substitute for an evaluation by a knowledgable fitter, for most of us, it'll do. Make sure to read their advice about arch type, support and fit--most running shoes require you to size up anywhere from half to one-and-a-half sizes from your street shoe size and the site gives guidance on that for each shoe.

Also note that all descriptions being equal, each shoe's company uses different lasts than the others and some brands will tend to fit you better than others. Brooks and Reebok have worked fine for me, but Nikes will give me a blister every time. New Balance cross trainers are wonderful for me, but I can't stand their running shoes. DH only runs in Nikes. Go figure.

Anne

Last edited by AnneWonders; 06-21-2007 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Punctuation, baby! Punctuation!
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:51 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

Hope you don't mind, but I'd like to briefly hijack this thread

I'm wondering about when to replace sneakers. I've had my Nikes for several years now and they've probably had about 13 months total of 5x a week exercise--either elliptical or running on the treadmill--put on them. The thing is that I always workout at the gym--you'll never find me running around the streets (my knees can't take it), so my shoes don't have the ordinary signs of wear and tear that you would expect from running on asphalt. In other words, I can't tell whether or not they need to be replaced. Does anyone know how to tell when gym-sneakers should be replaced? Are there gym-specific signs of wear and tear?
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 04:12 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 234/205/185

Height: 5'10"

I like Brooks Adrenaline 6 the toe box has room compared to New Balance model I had. Sports Authority or Sport Mart is a good place to try
them on. Once I find a shoe and size I like I search the internet to find the best price for the last 2 1/2 years I have bought Brooks Adrenaline 6 this year I got a discount because they came out Adrenaline 7 most of the time
the only change is the material pattern and color and the shoe stays the same.
geobuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 07:55 PM   #11  
Mel

Baffled- That's an excellent question! My shoes get the same treatment. After a nasty gravel and pothole encounter, I don't run outside anymore. I still replace my shoes about every six months. My running (or treadmilling and ellipticaling) shoes become my grocery store shoes, my grocery store shoes get rotated to my gardening shoes, and I get new running shoes. After about six months, the inside of the shoe just seems to get too compressed and they start feeling like cement. But they still look fairly new.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 09:38 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Here's an article I just found : How Often Do I Need To Replace My Running Shoes?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote