Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 06-03-2007, 05:07 PM   #1  
Void Where Prohibited

S/C/G: 260/222/135

Height: 5'9''

Default Need exercise advice

I am just re-starting my diet/exercise program and as far as exercise have decided to start out with 15 minutes per day every day either biking or jogging. I am 23 and have about 80 lbs to lose. (Very out of shape- huffing and puffing!)

I expect to increase the length of time by 5 mnutes every few weeks until I am doing half an hour 7/days a week.

I am not sure if this will be effective, or if there are other things I need to think about, or if half and hour every day is too little for an ultimate goal.

Can I get some tips/advice? Thanks!
jsta_grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:34 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

If you have joint issues, you might want to save jogging until you've lost a bit more weight. Have you considered walking for 30 minutes instead? Ultimately, you want to do 60 minutes of exercise most days. But, please don't let that stop you from doing whatever you can right now. Just taking that first step is a huge accomplishment.

Also, be sure and add strength training into your workout routine. You want to develop some muscle while you're losing weight. It really helps to shape and tone your body. Good luck!
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:43 PM   #3  
I deserve to feel good!

S/C/G: 250/225/150

Height: 5'5"

I agree that any little bit helps, however as far as exercise is concerned less is not more! If you can only do 15 minutes at a time that is fine, but try doing 15 minutes of moderate exercise twice a day to start. Research shows that splitting up your workouts is just as effective as doing it all at once each day. The gradual increase is a good idea though, sometimes if you try to do too much all at once you'll just end up feeling exhausted and discouraged and you won't be likely to stick with to.
wisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 05:50 PM   #4  
Void Where Prohibited

S/C/G: 260/222/135

Height: 5'9''

Can you suggest something to start out with as far as strength training? And what should I ultimately be increasing that to? Thanks!
jsta_grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:06 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 172

Height: 5 9

ANYONE USED PILATES? HOW OFTEN DO YOU HAVE TO DO IT A WEEK?

I am about 40 lbs above my goal weight.
bigbonednyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 155/150/125-130

Height: 5' 5"

I think you need to be working out at least 30 minutes 5-6 days a week. If you can't jog more than 15 minutes, then you should be walking and adding in a few minutes of jogging here and there. Soon you'll be jogging the whole time! I also agree with the person up above that said you need strength training. You need to build muscle and strengthen your body to support you while you're doing aerobic activites like walking/jogging.

Krista has some good all-over strength training workouts at her website: http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displaysection.php?sid=2
Kilketay is offline   Reply With Quote