Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-14-2007, 08:28 PM   #1  
Dixie Belle -6 weeks old!

Default Please Help Someone! I am LOST?!?

Ok. I am sorta kinda new. I posted a few times then didn't come back but now I am back and I am hoping to find a great support group.
Heres the deal. Me and DH joined a gym about 2 weeks ago. We have been workinig out in some form or fashion every day but 1 day. If we don't go to the gym we talk a walk/run/jog for about 20-30 min.

My routine is as follows:
treadclimber- up from 10 min to 25 min daily
Weight Machines- 4-5 times a week, legs, arms, abs

I am weak for sweets , sorta discouraged and not usually a pesimist but since I have been going to the gym I have gained about 5 pounds!

my friends keep saying "muscle weighs more than fat" but come on now!
I have heard to try whey protein shakes to help ( I bought chocolate) but have not started that yet.

I am 5'8, 185, female, post hysterectomy
I don't know if anyone can advise but I appreciate all!
thanks for listening!!!
StudentDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 11:22 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/200/165

Height: 5' 2.5" (HW: 222)

Thumbs up Okay--first of all, WELCOME BACK!!

WELCOME BACK HOME!!!

Dear StudentDoctor: (Are you really?! WOW!! Congrats! and Good Luck with your studies!!

All that being said, I would personally recommend you read books/see videos by Dr. Covert Bailey. While he has retired, he's an MD who really understands metabolism and how it functions. Until maybe 5 years ago, he used to do specials on PBS (one of the inspirations for my "FatToFit" name).
Definitely, muscles do weigh more than fat which is why fat people float more easily in pools, while wiry, muscular types sink!

A pre-med like you would surely appreciate my suggestion to have blood work done, just to determine where all your levels are.

Two years ago I asked at my WW meeting: "How many people here have heard the saying, Before you embark on any weight loss program, see your doctor'?" Most of the people in the room raised their hands, including me.
Then I asked, "And how many of us actually did this?" Only two people raised their hands (and I wasn't one)! "Like most of you, I did not raise my hand. But I've been coming here for two weeks, doing everything I'm supposed to, and instead of losing weight, I've been gaining it. I'm used to losing, when I put my mind to it. I just thought that menopause was 'kicking my ***'. Well, I went to the doctor. MY THYROID HAD STOPPED WORKING! I am here to tell you, if you're doing all the things you should be doing, and avoiding everything you shouldn't, and it's still not working--see your doctor!"

So--go get your checkup--just to rule out any unexpected, unexplainable changes--you'll be glad you did! Not to mention, being pre-med, you'll have more insightfully detailed questions to ask your doctor! Best of luck!!

--FatToFitVirgo
FatToFitVirgo is offline   Reply With Quote