Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM   #46  
Ilene the Bean

Ennay, , I've run the day after drinking a bottle of wine and I was surprised at how easy the run was. I think there are a lot of carbs in wine that's MY excuse and I'm sticking to it ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #47  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

Ilene - that probably works better when you drink wine more often than once a decade. Maybe that should be my new strategy...drink more often. Build that tolerance back up.

Its weird...I spent my entire sophomore year in college drunk and today was the closest to a hangover I ever had. But it probably was the lack of sleep.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 03:50 AM   #48  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I did a good hour on the treadmill this morning, I'm getting some of my confidence back which is good timing, after a couple of hard runs in the past month. Rest day tomorrow then the half on Sunday.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #49  

S/C/G: Starting over

Height: 5'7"

Funny, today it felt like I had a hangover when I went out running but alas I haven't had a drink in a month. I think it was dehydration. It was just awful. Also dh had to be somewhere early so I only got in 2.5 miles. I got 4 in on wednesday though.

I am trying to increase my mileage but I only really have time for it on the weekends. Weekends I have all the time in the world but during the week it has to be really fast in the morning before DH goes to work.

Jogging strollers and hills...I just can't do that at all. Patially this is because mine has a flat and its like pushing a ton of bricks up the hill. A good workout but I can barely walk it.

But still I am impressed with Anne for attempting this feat.
hikerchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 04:20 PM   #50  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

I'm starting to think it wasnt a hangover. I still want to throw up every time I eat or drink anything, especially fruit or water. And last night when I went to bed my bones and teeth hurt.

Please god dont let me be sick for the half...I've trained basically for 15 months.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:23 PM   #51  
Ilene the Bean

.. Ennay -- Sending good vibes to you hope you feel better soon ....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 08:52 PM   #52  
Out there trying

S/C/G: 185/127/125

Height: 5'4"

I have a question for all you runners. I post more in the "ladies who lift" section but I'm really a "lady who lifts, run, steps and spins!".

I have worked my way (finally) up to 5k. Mostly I can run it (slowly) without stopping at all to walk. I'm not too fast but that's okay. I'm just so thrilled to be able to do it.

I've been running for a few months now and two or three times, I've gotten a fairly bad pain in my side. I would say it was a stitch but it's always on the left side and quite low down - just above and inside my left hip bone is probably the best way to describe it. It can be pretty bad and I have no idea if I should stop (hate to stop and ruin my time) or if I can run through it. Once I had to stop and tonight I just kept going and it finally went away.

Any ideas what this is? One time was definitely an empty stomach and tonight was about an hour or so after a light dinner so that's completely different. I know I don't drink enough water so could that be it?

I imagine I'm not the only one who's had something similar.

Thanks in advance and Ennay, I really really hope you're feeling better soon!!

elisa822 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2007, 11:08 PM   #53  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Elisa - it could be a stitch. This is going to sound odd, but it works for me. stitches are often caused by the lowest lobes of your lungs not getting fresh oxygen. Often the lowest part stays compressed and either doesnt empty or fill completely every breath. Lungs go much farther down than most people realize.

1) posture posture posture...slumping makes it worse - so practice good posture often

2) odd # breathing. always breathing in and out with the same foot forward can cause repeated compression of the lung lobe on that side. so if (for example) you breath in for 2 steps and out for 2 steps, you will always be at the same side. Changing your breathing to breathe in 2 out 3 or in 3 out 2 (doesnt matter as long as you breathe deep and fully) allows you to start each breath cycle on a different side and often allows you to prevent or run through a stitch.

hth.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:53 PM   #54  
back on track, again!

S/C/G: 307/see the ticker/healthy

Height: 5'8"

Default Not much... but fast, for me.

Ennay, hope you feel better!

So, I went out to run for 45 mins tonight, but something somewhere is burning again. Usually when we get this kind of haze and smoke only at night, it is cane fields in Cuba burning. Whatever it is, it's rough for my longer runs. But I did do a quick mile, and got my fastest time ever, 10:29! Woo Hoo!

Dee
NavyWifeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:14 AM   #55  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

dee- I heard the brush fires up near the georgia border were causing smoke and ash in Miami.
Old 05-12-2007, 10:10 AM   #56  

Height: 5'7"

6.2 miles this morning. The last mile was rough, but other than that it was a decent run. It just felt like I overreached a bit--very enthused by the easy buildup of miles as I got consistent again. Saw the sun rise over the mountains, and almost no traffic at 6 am on Saturday.

ennay, sending get well vibes your way!

Anne
AnneWonders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 12:42 PM   #57  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Ennay - hope you're feeling better.

I didn't run today, but I did go and put a deposit on a bike which I'm really happy about. the problem is that I pick it up on saturday, which is only a week before the marathon and I suspect that the last thing I want to be doing at that stage is commuting to work on it and using different muscles, so it may need to wait a few weeks til I use it properly (I'm going on holiday straight after the marathon so won't be going to work). It's a hybrid rather than anything particularly fast, but the plan is to work a bit of cycling into my life, see if I like it, and if I do then look at trying triathlon, but there's no point spending loads on all the kit until I know whether I really fancy anything involving cycling.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 01:02 PM   #58  
runbikeswim

S/C/G: 164/150/137

Height: 5'-6"

May I join you??

Just getting back to running after a bit of time off -- had a running accident, hit my head, and body needs to relearn how to do it. Very awkward and really irritating since I am running so much slower than before that my hip joints aren't happy. Doc says keep doing it and it will improve -- the brain will retrain.

So 2.5 with the big dog and about 1.0 with the old guy this morning as dawn was breaking. Considering I could not run 100 yards a month ago, I count it as progress.

Somehow the swimming part of my brain is doing ok. It has been a lifesaver while I've been rehabbing. Biking? -- forget about it for now. Still can't walk heel to toe across the room without falling.

Hopefully I won't get pulled over by the police -- I can't pass the sobriety test!!

Best wishes to this month's marathoners and half-marathoners!!

RQ
rosequeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 02:11 PM   #59  
back on track, again!

S/C/G: 307/see the ticker/healthy

Height: 5'8"

ennay.. you were right, it is the wildfires. Almost makes me wish for a treadmill, it is being rough to run much. I got out this morning for almost a mile and a half, right at a 13min/mile pace. I'm going to try tonight for a couple of miles or more, depending on the smokiness of the air. Hope you all have a great weekend!
NavyWifeDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #60  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

Ran the Race for the Cure 5k this morning, and it was HORRIBLE, but at least I finished. Not only do I have that tendonitis issue in my left foot and ankle, but I also have a pretty bad head cold!! And of course the sun came out right when we started and it was beating down on us like crazy! So I walked more than half of it. I haven't really run in two weeks, though, so I was surprised that I could run any of it, with the sickness, the lack of training, and the foot pain. I finished in something like 49 minutes, which is a far cry from the 31:19 I got at my first 5k a few weeks ago!! Honestly, today I just wanted to finish the thing. And this is NOT a race for runners anyway. Most people walk it, and they don't start you in different waves, so you can't get around people at all. Very annoying. My husband even did it in 24:00, which is really slow for him. He didn't try to race it because he knew they don't organize it very well anyway, but he usually does 5Ks in about 19 minutes, so that was way off.

Anyway, I hope to start training for my half marathon soon, but I may have to take another trip to the doctor about this foot. Ugh...
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote