Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 04-22-2007, 11:13 PM   #1  

Default how to track miles outside...

ok so i do own a treadmill and i love the fact that i can track how many miles i do while on it. That was for the cold weather and now that it is getting nice out, i would like to start running outside but i don't know how to keep count of my rate and miles.
For example, i know how long it takes me to run one mile, but i stop to walk in the middle if i need to catch my breath or i might wanna speed up and do some interval running.

So i was just curious how you all keep track of your distance when running outside.

and i was also curious about the NikePod or whatever its called cuz it sounds pretty interesting and useful.THANX!!
Bean87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:26 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I use this site

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/

and it works even in my very small Canadian town.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:54 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I haven't tried the one Susan posted (I will soon), but lots of people like mapmyrun.com. That one doesn't work for me because I live in the boonies. I just measure a route with my car and then use the same one over and over. If I want to increase my mileage I just run that same course again. I'm bored with it, of course, so I need a new one, but dogs are an issue where I live. So yeah...one of those sites, or your car.
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 11:19 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

I've used both those sites and I prefer MapMyRun... On the left side of the screen there is a pace and calorie calculator...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:34 PM   #5  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I use gmaps also and I have a GPS watch. Although sometimes, like my killer trail run, neither works very well and then I just go by time.

I've never tried mapmyrun but if it doesnt work in the boonies that would be out for me. I like gmaps because if you are running on trails/park paths you can switch to satellite view and see the trails if they arent too tree covered.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 03:51 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

MapMyrun has a satelite view also...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 04:30 PM   #7  
Life's tough Get a helmet

S/C/G: 195/195/145

Height: 5'3"

I use my nike+ipod sensor and love it. It's pretty accurate. You have to have the ipod nano and then can buy the receiver/sensor for $29 - plus you can use any shoe type not just the nikes....i love my mizuno running shoes and bought a little attachment online for like $5 - its amazing and i recommend it!
Spunkster5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:40 PM   #8  

wow you guys are really great! both of the websites are amazing and im still working out which ill register with and what route to choose but thank you all so much. my preception of a mile was so off that i would count a mile as three times what it says on the site

THANKS
Bean87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 10:42 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 238/199/150

Height: 5'5"

Thanks from me too!!! I just got my bike out recently and was thinking that I should start tracking how far I'm really going, those really help!
drake3272004 is offline   Reply With Quote