Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-18-2007, 12:07 PM   #1  

Default Exercise After Eating

Forgive me if this has been asked before ... How long after eating a meal should I wait before I exercise? This morning my plans to exercise got pushed to the side, I was so busy. Before I knew it, I was hungry and didn't think I had the energy to workout before I ate. So now it's been about 1/2 hour after and I want to workout. Is it too soon? Should I let my food digest some more?
WaistingAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:40 PM   #2  
Meg

Honey, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. It really depends on you, how much you ate, and what kind of exercise you're planning on doing.

If I do cardio too soon after I eat, I get queasy and start burping up whatever I ate (sorry for the TMI). Yuck - hate that feeling! So I wait at least an hour and a half, just for my own comfort. If I was lifting weights, it wouldn't be such a big deal unless I was doing legs (another guaranteed nausea maker for me ).

When you eat, a lot of blood is required for digestion so it tends to leave your limbs and concentrate in your core. I don't think that means no exercise, but maybe take it easy at first to see how your body is reacting?

Good for you for still wanting to exercise despite your plans being screwed up!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:11 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I have the opposite question.

Is it bad to exercise before you eat? I've heard that the body wants to burn fat but if you don't have any food in there, it'll burn muscle instead.

I can't imagine that my body would have any trouble peaking around my insides and finding a residual ounce or two of fat.

So, if I want to exercise shortly after arising in the AM, would it be OK to do some sort of exercise and eat breakfast later?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:20 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 209/209/160

Height: 5'9

I think you need to eat something before you work out. I usually have a banana or a small yogurt right before going to the gym. I've found that if I don't eat anything, I don't have the energy to complete my workout or reach my daily cardio goals. Just eat a little something easily digestible for energy and save the meal for after the gym.
baffled111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #5  
Meg

Mare, I always exercise before I eat breakfast! I hit the gym every morning at 5:45 am for an hour on an empty stomach and I really don't think I'm burning muscle. My rule is no food till I exercise and since I love to eat, I'm there!!

Some trainers recommend cardio before eating for maximun fat loss but there really haven't been any good studies to back that idea up.

When you exercise, your body isn't burning off what is or isn't in your stomach anyway since that isn't even digested. Our goal is burning stored calories in the form of F-A-T, right? Exercise - along with calorie restriction - creates the calorie deficit that utilizes stored fat for energy.

So it's really a personal decision whether to eat or not before you exercise in the morning. Some people feel weak without a little snack, even first thing in the AM; others are like me and get queasy if they eat and then do maniacal cardio. If what you're doing is working for you, there's no reason to change.
Old 02-18-2007, 01:35 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meg View Post
Honey, I don't think there's a right or wrong answer here. It really depends on you, how much you ate, and what kind of exercise you're planning on doing.

If I do cardio too soon after I eat, I get queasy and start burping up whatever I ate (sorry for the TMI). Yuck - hate that feeling! So I wait at least an hour and a half, just for my own comfort. If I was lifting weights, it wouldn't be such a big deal unless I was doing legs (another guaranteed nausea maker for me ).

When you eat, a lot of blood is required for digestion so it tends to leave your limbs and concentrate in your core. I don't think that means no exercise, but maybe take it easy at first to see how your body is reacting?

Good for you for still wanting to exercise despite your plans being screwed up!
Thanks Meg, you really know your stuff! Now that it's been awhile, I don't feel my food sitting in my belly anymore, I'm going to get it done. You have no idea how big this is to me - to still want to workout. I've always hated exercise. I just finally decided to suck it up because I know that it's what is best for me. Thanks so much!
WaistingAweigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 01:37 PM   #7  
Meg

That's awesome! You should be so proud of yourself!!
Old 02-20-2007, 11:55 PM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

I can eat oatmeal and an eggwhite omelette and literally run out the door and do 5-6k with no problem at all... It depends what it is for me, oatmeal and eggwhites don't bother me at all , but something spicy would for sure, I guess it's the plainness of the meal that makes it OK for me.... When I used to workout at 5am, I didn't eat ....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote