Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 02-18-2007, 06:34 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Default what kind of treadmill to buy??

Hi all,

I'm considering buying a treadmill for days when it's just too ugly to exercise outdoors. I do belong and go to a gym, but there are days when I would prefer to jump on the treadmill at home.

For those who have a home treadmill:

What kind do you recommend? How much $$ do they cost (ballpark)? Are there any brands to stay away from?

I know some are bigger and bulkier than others, some fold up, etc. I would prefer one that is not humongous, but I do want it to hold up. I will primarily use it for fast walking, mixed in with a little slow running.

Also, I would prefer one that is not too loud, so I can watch tv or listen to music while working out.

Thanks in advance for any advice you may have. I'd be grateful to hear any of your experiences with treadmills. Thanks!!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:47 PM   #2  
it's always something

Check this post http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50314 for some information from Consumer Reports on treadmills

Basically they say to avoid the treadmills you find in department stores like Sears and Walmart, and buy better quality treadmills from specialty stores. They found a lot of lemons in their testing.

When you shop for one, make sure you ask about repairs. Hopefully you'll never need a repair, but what happens if you do? For example, I called ProForm and they told me they would ship the part to me and talk me through the repair on the phone. That's not something I wanted to chance. Some manufacturers require that you box up and ship it to an approved repair center. That would cost a small fortune

Hopefully others will share their advice and tips

If you buy one, please let us know what brand and model you get, and how you like it
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Very helpful link, Suzanne. Thanks! Especially for what and where not to buy (Walmart, Sears, etc.).

Would still love to hear from any of you who have and use a treadmill regularly... especially one that you do like. Thanks so much!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:09 PM   #4  
Committed Maintainer

S/C/G: 214/117.5/120

Height: 4'-11.75"

Well, I will probably be in the minority here but I bought a ProForm from HSN over a year ago. I use it practically every day for walking, jogging, sprinting, incline intervals etc. It was only $500 with free shipping and it wasn't too bad assembling it by myself. I know it is not top of the line but it works for me, problem free so far. It folds up, has preset programs...which I never use .... and is pretty loud but I wear noise cancelling earphones so that isn't too big of an issue and the kids have gotten used to the sound....lol Anyway, that's my review.
Christina7806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 09:43 PM   #5  
Wife, Mom and Teacher

S/C/G: 223~211~150

Height: 5'3"

I also give a thumbs up to ProForm! I got mine from Sears for about $600 3 years ago and have had NO PROBLEMS! I put it together myself with no problem at all. It creaks a bit now, but I just have to make the time to re-inspect the connections and it will be fine.
Michele L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 10:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I've had a Weslo, I think it's the cheaper version of ProForm, and it worked well for about 10 years but then it couldn't maintain the elevation settings and would slip back to flat. ProForm is a good brand, I have other stuff by them. I have a Gold's Gym brand now, which isn't made any more, but I really think it's a private label made by ProForm anyway. I love mine; we spent more this time and got something more health-club quality. I love my preset programs (never used them before, was a manual girl, but now that I do the hi intensity/recovery/hiit workouts, I love the presets). Folding up is overrated - and he's why. They are really too heavy to move every day, so really you would only fold it up and leave it. Well, that only works if you use it facing a wall. If you are in a corner facing out to your room like to watch tv, you will fold it up just to have it stand in the middle of your room (because you won't wheel it away, it's too heavy). It only makes sense to fold it if it's going to be folded into a corner, which means you have to be looking at the said corner before you fold it up. Oh, and continuous horse power vs variable horsepower is supposed to be a big deal in preserving your motor's life.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote