Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 12-26-2006, 02:07 PM   #1  

Unhappy Is Fitness Balls Safe???!!!

I had a fitness ball that I rarely used because I wasn't comfortable using weights while sitting or laying on this ball...I have several videos where they promote weight training using the ball.

And if I wasn't scare enough I had a girlfriend who said as long as the ball was properly blown and fastened that it's fine, well, she had an accident 2 weeks ago while laying on her back lifting 75 lbs weights...guess what happen, the ball popped and where did the hand bar of weight land?? ON HER FACE!!!

What's your opinion on weights and fitness balls????

chiari
chiarij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 04:11 PM   #2  

S/C/G: BMI:32.1/27.1/24.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiarij View Post
I had a fitness ball that I rarely used because I wasn't comfortable using weights while sitting or laying on this ball...I have several videos where they promote weight training using the ball.

And if I wasn't scare enough I had a girlfriend who said as long as the ball was properly blown and fastened that it's fine, well, she had an accident 2 weeks ago while laying on her back lifting 75 lbs weights...guess what happen, the ball popped and where did the hand bar of weight land?? ON HER FACE!!!

What's your opinion on weights and fitness balls????

chiari
A good fitness ball shouldn't pop at all.

That being said, I think 75 lbs is far too much weight to be using on a ball. Moderately heavy dumbbells are fine, IMO. Like up to 20 lbs or so.

I use the stability ball in several workouts, and it is an excellent tool to help build core strength. But to use it to bench press 75 lbs? No way. A bench for that.

They're safe. You just have to use them wisely.
MissH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 11:21 AM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissH View Post
They're safe. You just have to use them wisely.
I agree. Plus the SB can be very effective, too.
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 02:52 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
I agree. Plus the SB can be very effective, too.
Oh yes they can be! Are you familiar with Cathe Friedrich's workouts? She uses the ball and let me tell you! It is NOT easy!!
Old 12-27-2006, 03:52 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 216/186/130

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Stability balls are completely safe. I think that your friend was using too much weight on it.
thintowin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:59 PM   #6  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissH View Post
Oh yes they can be! Are you familiar with Cathe Friedrich's workouts? She uses the ball and let me tell you! It is NOT easy!!
I love Cathe!! I want to get her Core Max video. It looks really good. Do you have that one? Any reviews?
Mini-Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 09:46 PM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Me View Post
I love Cathe!! I want to get her Core Max video. It looks really good. Do you have that one? Any reviews?
Yes, I have the whole set that that one comes in. It's very good. I don't consider it a "workout" video. Meaning, it's great to add on to the end of a really good aerobic or weight training session. But yeah. It's a goodun.

Oh, and it's actually three 20-min. sessions.