Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Default Your thoughts on Kettle Bells

I have no problem going for a brisk walk, or riding a stationary bike for 30 minutes. But I am by no means a runner, jogger, or elliptical-er (although I'm warming up to it). I know you can't replace basic cardio. I'm not looking to do that. Nor am I looking to replace weight training, but I want to incorporate kettle bells into my workout.

What are your thoughts on Kettle Bell cardio programs (I've searched numerous youtube videos). Seems like a really good way to get weight training, core strength and cardio in one nice little (TINY) package.

The weight training portion is pretty simplistic I'd think. It's a weighted bell like any other, it's the cardio that I'm asking about.

Thoughts ?
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #2  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I started kettlebells at a very high weight very unfit. I used a basic beginner workout video from YouTube and I really like it and feel good after. I've put them away for a while to heal a bad shoulder but I miss them. Be very careful with your form.
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:16 PM   #3  
Heidi

S/C/G: 204.5/149/153

Height: 5'7"

I agree -- be very careful with your form. Have you lifted a kettle bell, or only seen them? The way they are weighted makes them swing very fast; you need to be careful. I've used them with a trainer who was able to show me what I was doing wrong in order to use them correctly. You may want to get some personal instruction before using them on your own.
newleaf123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #4  

Height: 5'6

I consider Kettlebells to be mostly cardio and circuit-training type strength training. Kettlebell swings are my preferred method of cardio moreso than just walking on a treadmill, etc. I find the dynamic lifts really get your heart rate up and you work up a pretty good sweat even after just 15-20 minutes. They also help to lean you out particularly in the torso area. Definitely watch your form though.
fitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:52 PM   #5  

One you have mastered the technique they are the best tool for mixing cardio and weight training.
High volume workout(like 500-600 swings) will develop core muscle, cardio and forearm/handstrength.
You can also do some grid exercise in order to train in a more "conventional" way your shoulders,arms,back etc...
GirevikNA is offline   Reply With Quote