Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:49 PM   #1  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

Default vibration machine- vibraslim

I just received my vibration machine today and I spent 20 min on it. You definitely feel your muscles contracting and it raises your heart rate a bit- but it is definitely not a cardio workout. Anyway I feel great now, loose and lighter. It is going to be hard to track if it is doing anything from a toning perspective since I am still losing weight but I am going to compare last month's inches lost with a month of using the vibration machine- see what the difference in total inches lost is. I will post back and let you know if I see any difference. This machine is the same concept as powerplate but cheaper.
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:23 PM   #2  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Wow! I've never heard of this machine, but now, I'll google it to see what it looks like. Glad you feel so great. Keep us posted on your progress!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #3  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

Looks interesting, but at $1,700, it's still a lot of money. However, if it works, then it's worth it! Please do let us know. Thanks!
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Seem's alot like the old "jiggling" belts fron the 50's when passive exercise was all the rage. Passive exercise machines were proven not to work. How is this different, do you actually exercise while it is vibrating?

Last edited by kaplods; 06-19-2008 at 06:45 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 09:47 PM   #5  
start march 29 2008

That was my first reaction as well- I laughed until I got on one and actually felt the muscle contractions. Your muscles are contracting over 50x per second. It also has been proven to increase bone density-which I will take. I looked at all of the research and while it doesn't work better than doing weight training in the gym it apparently works equally well and may offer some additional benefits re circulation, repair of damaged tissue with knee injuries etc. I tore my ACL a few years back so if it helps with that as well I am all for it. So for the price could you go to the gym and work out- sure, but if I gain strength, bone density, and it helps with my knee for the price of a treadmill I will be happy. Anyway I will be tracking.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:50 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Contractions in muscles don't build muscle or help bone density.

The only thing that builds muscle (and all the assorted benefits that go along with building muscle) is working those muscles hard. You "tear down" the muscle by putting small tears ans stresses in it, and then allow it to heal. It's the process of healing that builds strength.

If it were as easy as the "vibraslim" then all of us would be gorgeous, skinny, with great muscle tone and solid bone density.

I'm sorry - I don't mean to be a downer, but I think you've been sold a load of ... ahem ... manure on this one.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 09:35 PM   #7  
start march 29 2008

My first impression was how could this work and then I tried it. In actual fact you are wrong about muscle contractions- infact electrical stimulation to contract the muscle and build strength has been used in many settings- I was involved in a clinical trial as a patient in a kinesiology study in university many years ago. Electrical stimulation was applied at graduated intensity for many weeks and then a muscle biopsy was done. It is used often in patients with post polio syndrome. Also after I tried the machine I researched it-there have been many clinical trials done published in good journals. To be fair there is still some controversy but my take on it is you won't build more muscle strength than weight or resistance training but it may be equivalent. Bone density has been shown to improve and it has been shown in clinical trials to improve ACL repair- and I have a blown ACL. Frankly, in a week I have less knee pain than I previously had. I do feel the contractions- not shaking on the machine- but too early to say . Don't knock something until you look into it.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:54 PM   #8  

When I looked into it, and the research results I could find, it appeared to me that some positive effects have been seen in astronauts and paralysis or coma patients. My understanding is that the results were "better than nothing," but generally not considered better than what a person could accomplish with natural gravity and voluntary movements of the muscles.

So as an alternative to no exercise or in addition to regular exercise, it may have some benefits. However, as an alternative to any exercise perhaps not so much.

Considering the $1500 to $2000 price tag, I'll reserve judgement (and purchase).

Last edited by kaplods; 06-25-2008 at 09:54 PM.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 PM   #9  
start march 29 2008

Okay I will keep my posts to myself. Clearly I wouldn't have made a decision based on coma patients.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #10  

I think you'll find that most of the women here have done a lot of research themselves and are not just talking out of their hats.

I'm happy for you that you feel you've found something that works.

I, personally, don't believe that this machine is "as good as" lifting weights. I'm sure it does have some therapeutic benefit to those who are unable to lift weights and those who are suffering injury. I've seen an electrical current system work for my husband who had knee surgery. It was a part of his rehab. But at some point he moved past that and started using real weights to rebuild his strength.

But we're all entitled to our own opinons.

Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 AM   #11  
start march 29 2008

There's a fine line between having your own opinions and trying to pull the carpet out from under someone's feet. I am sure there are alot of things posted on this board that we may not agree with or support 100% but we recognize that everyone needs to maintain their enthusiasm for whatever they are doing to succeed. I was very clear in my posts that this was going to be hard to track to see if there was a benefit. There have also been posts from other people who were interested in knowing if this machine (or similiar ie powerplate) had value so I was going to try and track it and see. So really my post was for those people who were interested in hearing from someone who was actually trying the machine.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:58 AM   #12  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Lifechange, I just wanted to share my positive experience: My MEDICAL DOCTOR is not a "Quack", he is a well-respected MD who is booked and double booked a solid 6 weeks out because he is such a great Doctor and on the "cutting edge" of treatments that present traditional and holistic therapies.

I trust him and respect him. He has researched the "Powerplate" and similar devices extensively and has gotten insurance to cover its use for a number of things based on presenting the validity of the therapeutic benefits it offers.

I personally have used it to decrease pain when healing, and noticed a difference.

Last edited by SoulBliss; 06-26-2008 at 10:58 AM.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 11:23 AM   #13  

My point wasn't intended to tear anyone down. I was actually impressed to see clear evidence of any benefit (even if to me the strongest evidence is primarily to astronauts and coma patients). I never claimed that my review of the research was comprehensive, though I do still have concerns with much of the research quoted, as it mostly seems to be coming from the people selling the equipment (not proof either way, but often a bad sign).

I do have reservations with the equipment and the price, especially the idea that some people might consider the equipment a substitute for exercise, rather than a supplement to exercise. I wasn't trying to supress your enthusiasm, just express my skepticism.

Skepticism is good. I strongy believe that. Weight loss, pain relief, and other health issues are ripe for scammers. Profiteering from pain is big business. Hearing from people with positive results is very helpful, but I think hearing the skepticism is good too.

In 36 years of dieting, I've encountered far more scams than legitimate tools, so I am admittedly biased. That I have said I reserve judgement actually is quite a compliment, because on principle, I prefer to dismiss any product with even the hint of a scam. I think the costs of selling false hope, in terms of disappointment and suffering is far too high, and that erring on the side of caution is worth it.

Just my perspective, and not a dig or bash to anyone who feels differently.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:01 PM   #14  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post

Just my perspective, and not a dig or bash to anyone who feels differently.
I'm not the OP, but I just wanted to say that I didn't take anything that you said to be a "bash or a "dig'. AND you know that if I did, I would just tell you, because you are mature, reasonable, open AND have excellent communication skills.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 12:09 PM   #15  

Quote:
because on principle, I prefer to dismiss any product with even the hint of a scam. I think the costs of selling false hope, in terms of disappointment and suffering is far too high, and that erring on the side of caution is worth it.
Exactly.

The problem is that there are too many "lose weight easily" scams out there, and too many people fall for them. I think most of us here are somewhat skeptical just because of that.

But it will be interesting to see if it works for you in any measurable way, as far as weight loss/losing inches.