Exercise Equipment Does it work? Share your experiences with exercise equipment here.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:41 PM   #1  
Thinking healthy!

S/C/G: 438/436/350

Height: 5'5"

Default Exercise equipment for the "morbidly obese"

Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy either a treadmill or cross/elliptical trainer to use at home. The only problem is, I need one with a max user weight of between 170kg - 180kg that is *reasonably* priced. All the ones I've seen on the web so far are upwards of 2,000 (I'm based in the UK), which is (way) too expensive for me. I think something between 400 and 800 would be miles better (but lower is always good!)

Anyway, any help I could get would be much appreciated!
Amy Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 02:12 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 162.5/150/130

Height: 5'6"

I just found your thread today. I'm in the same boat. My dh and I are looking for a treadmill that can accommodate my dh's size. He weighs 350lbs. The ones that have this kind of weight capacity are expensive. I hope you've found something that works for you. We are going to do some serious searching for one since winter will be here before we know it.
lariann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 08:22 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 322/255/175

Height: 5'6"

Hi,
I have a Vitamaster by Roadmaster. My parents had it and gave it to us. It's probably about 10 years old. My top weight was around 320 pounds and it accommodated me just fine. Not sure of the cost of it though. Maybe you can check Ebay or classifieds in your local newspaper.
Lori
mom2fivesweeties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 PM   #4  
Edge Of Glory

S/C/G: 350/See Ticker/199

Height: 5'8"

The treadmill I have is a ProForm and I think the capacity is like 300lbs, but I still get on it and it hasn't caused any problems even when I was almost 350. I think of it this way, yeah I'm over the weight capacity now, but if I use it consistently I won't be anymore and it won't be an issue.
VirgoChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #5  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

might I suggest getting in contact with one of the major companies, Natalus, Precore, Lifestep (maybe just in the US I am not sure) and ask about a refreb on a gym quality maching. They are made to take much higher weights than the home variety (you never waht to max out a motor on a TM because you can burn it out quickly) Also the gym machines are made of better material to withstand being in motion all day.

If you want my vote, I like the new tread climbers, depending how you max out the resistance it can be flat like a TM, and I like the eliptical with arm movement either the kind that have the ramp that incline (precore) or the one with stronger resistance (lifestep)

Sometimes the local gyms will have a sell off of old equipment, you could find out if they are planning on selling anything BUT you wil have to have a house call from the manufaturer to get it refurbished so it might not be worht the expence....

I hope this helps.
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:26 PM   #6  
Citizen of the Planet

Try craigslist dot org and then choose the Craigslist closest to your area. They have a sporting goods section.

People can post free ads with pictures for free. Up to four pictures per ad.

BTW, this is worldwide.
shelterwatch is offline   Reply With Quote