Old 10-15-2009, 05:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 180/ticker/129 or so =)

Height: 5'6.5"

Thumbs up Wow! VLC DanDan Noodles!

I'm not much of a cook so I never thought I would be sharing a recipe, but I had to pass this along.

I like to try products that I think may help make restricting calories easier. To that end, I have purchased both PB2 (a defatted peanut powder that you reconstitute with water to make a replacement for peanut butter) and shirataki noodles (an effectively 0-calorie yam fiber based noodle).

I had declared both of them failures. The PB2 was OK, but didn't provide the satiety of peanut butter. The noodles were at best OK -- I could never disguise the texture enough to eat a whole serving but I still resort to them from time to time to take the edge off when I want to avoid adding calories (heck, I've got a whole carton of them to use up).

It turns out that together they can make a pretty decent dandan noodle dish with approx 30 calories!

Here's the recipe:

1 pkg shirataki noodles -- drained, rinsed, and heated in the microwave
1 - 1.5 tsp soy sauce
hot sauce to taste (I used a squirt of Chinese chili sauce)
1 package truvia or equivalent sweetener of choice
1 Tablespoon PB2

Mix all ingredients except PB2 together. If there is leftover liquid, pour into a separate container and reserve. Add PB2 and mix. The key here is to try to get a thick consistency. Add a little of the reserved liquid if necessary, but be careful. You want the sauce to stick to the noodles.

When I made a batch I liked them so much I made a second! This was the first time I really enjoyed eating shirataki noodles. If you don't mind the extra calories (or you have shirataki noodles but no PB2 and you want to try out the concept), I imagine it would taste even better with natural peanut butter.

I had never intended to buy either product again, but now I am thinking I am likely to reorder both when I run out.

Last edited by yoyoma; 10-16-2009 at 05:22 AM.
yoyoma is offline   Reply With Quote