Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 11:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

Default Pork Loin Recipes

This past weekend pork loin was on sale at Shoppers, 1.98 a pound. Who knew that an entire loin is 8-12 pounds? Oh, well.

So, I divided into 3rds. 1/3 made a spinach stuffed loin. 1/3 made chinese style bbq pork and 1/3 is garlic and herb pork.

Stuffed Pork Loin: P2
1-10oz pkg frozen spinach, thawed and water squeezed out
1 onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic chopped
1 cup chopped mushrooms
a little oil to saute the vegetables
a handful of dried cranberries-if sensitive to sugar probably can leave out.
salt, pepper and what ever spices you like to taste
2-3 slices turkey bacon
2 cups water
2 teaspoons chicken, beef or vegetable buillon to give the water some flavor
2 teaspoons cornstarch dissolved in 2 Tablespoons water

Slice the pork loin so that it lays flat about 3/4 inch thick. Sort of like unrolling it with a knife ( clear as mud ) Sprinkle inside with salt and pepper.

In skillet saute onions and garlic then add the spinach and mushrooms. cook until mushrooms release their liquid then cook a little bit more until mostly dry.

Layer the vegetable mixture over the pork, then gently roll it up like a jelly roll. Tie the loin all together with string nice a snug. Lay a couple peices of bacon on top, pour water into pan and pop into a 400 degree oven for about 1 hour. Remove from oven when done, cover and let set for at least 10 minutes.

Remove fat from the liquid in the baking pan, pour the liquid into a saucepan, taste and add the buillon if it's too bland, bring to a boil, stir the cornstarch mixture well and add. Stirring constantly. This helps thicken it into a gravy.

Slice to serve, looks really pretty.

To freeze, wait until completely cool. Slice into 8 or so servings. Place on cookie sheet, spoon 1 tablespoon gravy over each slice and place into freezer. When frozen solid, dip into more gravy, then place in a freezer bag. I packaged mine all separately. If you want family style you can package how many you think you will eat in one meal. The gravy is important in this recipe.
To serve: I would serve with a salad and some vegetables. And since I tend to over cook all my roasts. I usually throw a small amount of lf cheese on top while it's heating.

For the other 2 recipes, I first cooked both pieces in a crock pot on low heat until done, removed the meat and shredded it. I put half back into the crock pot and added a jar of garlic and herb sauce from Trader Joes. Let it simmer for several hours.

For the chinese style, heat a large skillet add a few slices of ginger, toss around a few seconds, add garlic and green onions. When oil is nice and fragrant, add 1/3 hoisin sauce, 1/3 oyster sauce, 2 T. soy sauce and 2 T. sherry-(roughly, I don't measure these things) get it all stirred up good. Add the shredded pork and let simmer for an hour or so.

I used the baggies again because my containers kept breaking when they fell out of the freezer. They may be microwave and freezer save, but dog gone it they don't survive when they fall out of the freezer to the floor.

I placed about 1/3-1/2 cup of pork into each bag, again if you have a family use different portions sizes. then I placed the smaller baggies into a large gallon size ziplock, all properly labeled and I told hubby I wasn't cooking any more meat until we finished this 9 pounds of meat in the freezer.

To serve:
I would heat the shredded pork and place it into a whole wheat pita or wrap with some sliced veggies/salad type filler stuff. My non-sb dh throws it over a bowl of white rice and then adds more veggies.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:14 AM   #2  

Height: 5'-2"

Love the title, Sarah.
The recipe looks great... thank you!
Old 08-11-2004, 11:20 AM   #3  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Nummy! I'm waiting for whole pork loin to go on sale around here. Maybe I'll just go rustle a pig.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:13 PM   #4  
kpw

Looks fabulous - I must try them! I must try them all! Congrats on the weight loss-
Closed Thread