Old 02-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Default Greens and Quinoa Pie

Another delicious recipe from Vegetarian Times. I served this with supper tonight, and we all loved it.

Greens and Quinoa Pie

1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
1 large bunch chicory (1 to 1 1/4 lb), cut into bite-sized pieces (bottom 1 1/2" of hard stems removed)
1 head romaine lettuce, shredded
3 Tbsp. olive oil, divided
2 medium onions thinly sliced (2 cups)
2 green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, preferably Greek (1 oz.)
1/4 cup grated aged goat cheese or Swiss cheese (1 oz.)
3 eggs, lightly beaten

Place quinoa in small saucepan, and toast over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, or until almost dry. Ad 1 cup water, and season with salt, f desired. Cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, 15 minutes. Remove from heat, and transfer to large bowl.
Heat large pot over medium heat. Add chicory, and cook 3 to 5 minutes, or until wilted, stirring frequently or tossing with tongs. Add romaine, and wilt 1 to 2 minutes more. Transfer greens to strainer, and squeeze out excess moisture. Transfer to cutting board, and chop into small pieces. Stir into quinoa.
Preheat oven to 350*. heat 1 Tbs. oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, and sauté 10 minutes, or until browned. Add cooked onions, green onions, dill, feta cheese, and goat cheese to quinoa mixture. Stir in eggs; season with salt and pepper, if desired.
Pour 1 Tbs. oil into 9" pie pan, and place in oven. hat 5 minutes, or until oil is hot. swirl oil to coat bottom of pan, then spread quinoa mixture in pan with spatula. Bake 20 minutes. Drizzle pie with remaining 1 Tbs. oil, and bake 20 to 30 minutes more, or until golden brown.

Serves 6
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #2  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

I'm going to add this to this week's list. Do you think the chicory is essential of could I sub another green? Don't know if I've ever had chicory.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyndiM View Post
I'm going to add this to this week's list. Do you think the chicory is essential of could I sub another green? Don't know if I've ever had chicory.
Cyndi, chicory is the same thing as curly endive, as I found out after searching in two supermarkets for chicory.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #4  
Working on healthy

I did a little research too. Apparently you can sub dandelion, mustard or escarole for it. Can't wait to try this one.

Last edited by CyndiM; 02-26-2010 at 06:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:20 AM   #5  
Working on healthy

I did make it with mustard greens. I think next time I would just use good feta instead of mixing the cheeses. We liked this and would definitely make it again. It's not like any other recipe I make so is a nice addition to our menus. Thanks Cottage!