Old 11-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #1  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Talking Butternut Squash Ragout

I made this two nights ago because I had butternut squash from a local farm and celeriac (celery root) from our CSA. Little did I know that it would be SO divine!!! It's absolutely incredible and I'll definitely make it again, though next time I'll probably use pre-cubed butternut squash from the grocery store.

I added a lot of extra spices--probably more like a tablespoon of curry powder, and I added a shake of cinnamon, ginger, cardomon, and granulated garlic. I also added salt (the only thing I don't like about CL recipes is the low sodium. I know it's healthier, but I don't like it. ). In addition, to up the protein content, I added a pound of boneless, skinless chicken breasts. I cut it up and tossed it in before I added the onion. It became almost shredded as the ragout simmered and definitely added a nice accent. However, I'm sure this would taste divine all on its own.

I used a dutch oven to cook this--no idea how all the veg would fit in a saucepan. This meant that there wasn't much liquid, so I used three cups of a store brand V-8 juice and 2 or so cups of chicken stock (I just didn't have vegetable stock). I also cooked it with the lid on, which seemed to make it super tender, though I'm sure it's fine with the lid off. It made 8 generous helpings so I put half in the freezer for later. Dried apricots and toasted almonds are a must--they really make this special!

Quote:
Butternut Squash Ragout
From Cooking Light

2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
4 cups cubed peeled butternut or acorn squash (about 1 1/2 pounds)
2 cups sliced carrot
1 cup chopped peeled celeriac
1 teaspoon curry powder
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup drained canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
1 cup canned vegetable broth
1 cup no-salt-added tomato juice
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/4 cup chopped almonds, toasted
Chopped fresh parsley
3 cups cooked couscous [use whole wheat]

Heat oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and next 5 ingredients (onion through garlic), and sauté 2 minutes. Add chickpeas, broth, and tomato juice, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes or until tender. Top with apricots and almonds, and sprinkle with parsley. Serve over couscous.

Yield: 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups ragout with 1/2 cup couscous)

CALORIES 337 (13% from fat); FAT 4.9g (sat 0.5g,mono 2.7g,poly 0.9g); IRON 3.5mg; CHOLESTEROL 0.0mg; CALCIUM 101mg; CARBOHYDRATE 68.9g; SODIUM 174mg; PROTEIN 9.9g; FIBER 9.7g

Cooking Light, JANUARY 1997
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote