Old 12-07-2000, 11:35 PM   #16  

My family is already asking when we can have this again !

I haven't tried substituting Yves Veggie Ground Round or Harvest Burger Crumbles for the beef, but I don't see why it wouldn't be successful.

I found that the cheese topping texture was a bit tough, but not unpleasant. If you want the cheese texture a bit more "normal", you can lightly spray it with ICBINB spray or Pam. This does add a bit of fat.

This will sound gross, but I cooked the ground beef by covering it with water in a saucepan and simmering it gently until done. You need to break it up with a spoon and stir a couple of times. I then drain it through a colander and rinse to reduce the fat to a bare minimum. It comes out in very small crumbles (like Taco Bell taco meat-- which my kids prefer). I like to do this with large quantities of hamburger meat (like 5 lbs at a time) and freeze in 2 1/4 cup portions after draining well. This is a fast and easy way to have cooked LF beef on hand to use in any highly seasoned recipes (like spaghetti sauce and taco-seasoned dishes). Sometimes I include dried minced onion in with the meat for the last couple of minutes of boiling. You can also add chopped peppers or fresh onions. My kids are very fussy when it comes to "chunks" so I prefer to add onion powder.

I do realize how gross this method sounds; but once you try this on large quantities to pre-cook, you'll never go back. Try it, you'll like it !! This worked out very well for me with my frozen shoulder. I was able to do the bulk of the prep. in the morning (before the pain is too bad) and my DH was able to finish it up. I would hesitate to try to freeze this in it's unbaked state because it is very liquidy. Next time I will make an extra pie and freeze it after the initial 25 mins of baking time. I would finish it off the same way as stated in the directions (microwave at 70 % power until thawed and hot in center and then add cheese and finish baking)

Jane

* Exported from MasterCook *

Impossible Taco Pie (Jane's RF Adaptation) -- 4.5 to 6 pts

Recipe By :Bisquick Best Recipes -- JaneStarr's Adaptation
Serving Size : 6 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beef, Ground Bisquick

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
1 pound extra lean ground beef -- cooked, rinsed
and drained -- or veggie substitute
1/2 cup onion -- chopped, or onion powder
1 envelope taco seasoning mix -- or 1/2 tsp
4 ounces green chiles -- chopped, drained
1 1/4 cups skim milk -- or 1%
3/4 cup Egg Beaters® 99% egg substitute
3/4 cup reduced fat Bisquick®
1 cup Sargento Light Mexican Shredded Cheese -- shredded

Heat oven to 400 degrees.

Spray glass pie plate with Pam.

Cook ground beef and onion in 10-inch skillet over medium heat, stirring occasionally until beef is brown; rinse in colander and drain.

Stir in seasoning mix (dry). Spread in pie plate; top with chilies.

Stir milk, egg substitute, and baking mix with fork until blended. Pour into pie plate.

Bake 25 minutes. Sprinkle with cheese.

Bake 8 to 10 minutes longer or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.

Cool 5 minutes.

Based on info I've compiled for rinsed and drained 90% lean ground beef (3 oz cooked= 125 cals, 4 g. fat) :

272 cals., 8 g. fat (36%CFF), 1 g. fiber = 6 pts

Using Harvest Burger "Hamburger Crumbles" (similar values to Yves Veggie Ground Round):
254 cals., 4 g. fat (15% CFF), 5 g. fiber = 4.5 pts

Description:
"Can be made ahead and reheated."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per serving: 272 Calories (kcal); 8g Total Fat; (35% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 19g Carbohydrate; 8mg Cholesterol; 781mg Sodium
Food Exchanges: 1/2 Grain(Starch); 1/2 Lean Meat; 1/2 Vegetable; 0 Fruit; 0 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates

Serving Ideas : Serve with salsa and sour cream if desired.

NOTES : Tried on 12/6/00 with the following deviations:
Skipped the onion & sprinkled generously with onion powder. Used only 2 oz of chilies and only on the "adult half" of the pie.

Made in the morning through the first 25 minutes of baking. Refrigerated until super time.

Heated in microwave to bring up to temp (used temp probe to 150 degrees at 70% power), then I added cheese and baked final 8 - 10 minutes.
We loved this! One kid picked out the chilis. It was very highly seasoned. Some may prefer to reduce the taco seasoning to 1/2 a packet and omit the chilies. I used mild chiles. -- Jane
Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
JaneStarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2001, 08:33 AM   #17  
snerdlet

Adobe pie

1 lb ground beef
1 mdm onion, chopped
1 can (14 1/2 oz) diced tomatoes with roasted garlic, undrained
1 can (11 oz) whole kernel corn with red and green peppers, drained
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pimiento stuffed olives
1/3 cup raisins
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 pouch (6.5 oz) Betty Crocker golden corn bread and muffin mix
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons margarine, melted
1 egg
1/4 cup canned diced green chilies
1/2 cup shredded Colby cheese

Heat oven to 400. Spray 2 quart casserole with cooking spray. Cook beef and onion in 12 inch skillet over mdm heat, stirring occasionally until brown, drain.

Stir in tomatoes, corn, olives, raisins, cumin and cinnamon. Spoon into casserole. Prepare corn bread as directed on pouch, using milk, margarine and egg; stir in chilies and half of cheese into batter. Spread over beef mixture.

Bake uncovered 12 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Baked 5 to 7 minutes more until corn bread is golden brown.

9 points/6 servings
Old 02-22-2001, 08:50 AM   #18  
snerdlet

Tortilla Casserole

3/4 lb extra lean ground beef
1 (15oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz) can no-salt added diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (4.5 oz) can Old El Paso chopped green chilies
1 (1 1/4 oz) pkg. Old El Paso 40% less-sodium taco seasoning mix
6 corn tortillas
3/4 cup nonfat sour cream
3 oz (3/4 cup) shredded mozzarella or cheddar cheese
2 tbls chopped fresh cilantro, if desired

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray large nonstick skillet with Pam. Heat over high heat until hot. Add ground beef; brown 8 to 10 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring constantly. Drain well; return beef to skillet.

Add beans, tomatoes, chilies and taco seasoning mix; mix well. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, spray 12X8 inch (2 quart) baking dish with Pam. Cut each tortilla half; place 6 halves in bottom of sprayed baking dish, overlapping slightly.

Spoon half of beef mixture evenly over tortillas. Spoon sour cream over beef mixture; spread evenly. Top with remaining 6 tortilla halves and then remaining beef mixture. Cover tightly with foil.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese. Cover; let stand 3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with cilantro if desired.

6 servings/6 points

Calories – 310
Total fat – 10 g
Fiber – 5 g
Old 03-12-2001, 02:51 PM   #19  

This is old WW recipe I pulled back out to try in my GF grill, and it worked great!
I make these into oval shaped patties and serve like a chopped steak without the bun, but they are good in a bun with all the fixins' like a regular hamburger too. I normally feel deprived with just a patty and no bun, but not with these exciting flavors and size of patty.

1 lb lean ground beef (or ground turkey, but watch the fat)
1 can bean sprouts, rinsed and well drained
1 T Soy or Worchestershire (I've used both, and although I love W, the soy complements ginger more I think)
1 tsp ground ginger (add little more if you really like ginger)
1/2 tsp salt (can omit due to soy)
1/2 tsp garlic salt or powder (I use minced in jar)
1/4 tsp pepper

4 pts each.

Combine all ingredients. Divide into 4 equal portions, shape into patties. Broil on rack about 4 inches from heat for 8 minutes, turning once.
8 minutes on GF was perfect. These can be done on regular grill, but are a little mushy and hard to keep together.

Interesting note: The bean sprouts serve mainly as a filler and add bulk to the patties. In analyzing the NI of bean sprouts the main nutrition they add are 70% of daily vitamin C. I found that interesting.
Parsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2002, 01:14 PM   #20  

Default Silver Palate Meatloaf

Just tried this recipe I found on Dotties... from Marcy.... very tasty!

Silver Palate Meatloaf (modified) (10 servings at 7 pts ea)

1 teaspoon olive oil (I put in 2 tsp) -- 1 pt per tsp
1 teaspoon butter (I put in 2 tsp) -- 1 pt per tsp
3/4 cup finely chopped onion (used 1 c)
3/4 cup finely chopped scallions
1/2 cup finely chopped carrot ( I put in 3/4c)
1/4 cup finely chopped celery (1/2c)
1/4 cup minced red bell pepper (1/2 c)
1/4 cup minced green bell pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic (prob used 3tsp)

Salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon white pepper (I didn't have any so I skipped this)
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin (I put in 1/2 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 whole egg plus 2 whites, beaten well -- 3 pts
1/2 cup ketchup -- 2 pts
1/2 cup 1% milk -- 1 pt for 1%... 2 pts for 2% (yeah I used 2%)

2 lbs 94% FF ground beef -- 32 oz = 48 pts
12 ounces turkey sausage (3 raw fresh links) -- 9 pts
3/4 cup FF bread crumbs made from toasted white lite bread (I used 1% Fat) = 4 pts

FYI - I threw all veggies in the cuisinart (I could NOT deal with all that chopping and mincing)

Heat heavy skillet, add butter and oil, saute onion and garlic first with a bit of salt and pepper, then add all other veggies - probably for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently, till all moisture has evaporated.

The recipe say to cool, then refrigerate covered, till chilled (at least an hour).... I threw it in the freezer for about 10-15 min and then when chilled transferred to fridge until I was ready for it.

Preheat oven to 375. Combine salt through eggs, then whisk in milk and ketchup.

Add beef, sausage (the only yucky part... getting the sausage meat out of the skin), and bread crumbs to egg mixture. Add the chilled veggies. Knead for 5 minutes to blend.

Form mixture into a long loaf in a high-sided baking dish. Place the dish inside a larger pan, then pour boiling water into the larger pan until it reaches 1/2 way up the sides of the baking dish. (Add the boiling water AFTER you put the pan in the oven for your personal safety!) Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes. Let it rest 20 minutes before serving. (I served it right away - way too hungry to wait)

It's not SUPER low in points (I figure it at 10 servings per loaf to be about 7 points a serving)

The veggies and spices make this a VERY flavorful and pretty meatloaf.

Enjoy! Let me know whatcha think.

Patch
patch30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2002, 04:29 PM   #21  

Height: 5'3

Angry MeatLoaf

Southwestern Meat Loaf

Serving: Yields: 6 main-dish servings
Cook Time: 1 hour, plus 10 minutes to cool
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes

INGREDIENTS:
1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or Lean ground turkey
3/4 cup crushed Low Fat baked corn tortilla chips (about 2 1/2 ounces)
1 large egg
1 can (15 1/4 ounces) whole-kernel corn, drained
1 jar (11 ounces) medium-hot chunky salsa (about 1 1/4 cups)

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

2. In large bowl, mix ground beef with tortilla chips, egg, corn, 1 cup salsa, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper just until well-combined; do not overmix or meat loaf will be tough.

3. Transfer meat mixture to small roasting pan (14 by 10 inches); shape into 10-inch by 5-inch loaf. Spread remaining 1/4 cup salsa on top of loaf.

4. Bake meat loaf 1 hour or until temperature on meat thermometer inserted in center of meat loaf reaches 160 degrees F. Let meat loaf stand 10 minutes for easier slicing.

Each serving: About 345 calories, 25 g protein, 22 g carbohydrate, 18 g total fat (7 g saturated), 2 g fiber, 102 mg cholesterol, 810 mg sodium.
LilBinkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2004, 10:33 PM   #22  

Default Shepherd's Pie

Here's one for you:

Shepherd's Pie (makes 6 servings)

1 cup (300 g), chopped onion
1.25 pounds (600 g) ground sirloin
1/2 cup (120 ml) fat-free canned beef broth
2 teaspoons (10 ml) Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon (15 ml) tomato paste
1.5 pounds (720 g) russet potatoes, pealed and cut
into equal size pieces
3 cloves garlic, cut in half
1/4 cup (60 ml) skim milk
2 fluid ounces (60 ml) egg substitute
freshly ground pepper to taste
1/4 teaspoon (1.25 ml) kosher salt (optional)
1 cup (150 g) thawed frozen baby peas

1.Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C).

2.Coat a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Add the onions, and
sauté until they wilt. Add the meat and cook, separating with a
wooden spoon until meat has turned brown. Strain the beef
mixture of all fat and liquid. Return to the skillet. Add the broth,
Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, and pepper. Set aside.

3.Boil the potatoes with the garlic in lightly salted water until done.
Drain the potatoes and remove the garlic. Mash the potatoes with
the milk and egg substitute. Season with pepper and salt (if using).

4.Place the meat mixture in the bottom of ovenproof casserole.
Top with peas and then spread with mashed potatoes. Coat with
cooking spray. Bake for 15 to 20 to 25 minutes until heated
through and top is nicely browned.

Per serving: 269 calories (18% calories from fat),
27 g protein, 5 g total fat (1.8 g saturated fat),
28 g carbohydrates, 3 g dietary fiber,
59 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium

Diabetic exchanges: 3 very lean protein, 2 carbohydrate
(1 1/2 bread/starch, 1 vegetable)

Kim
Kaws1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 09:51 PM   #23  
Proud Mommy

S/C/G: See ticker

Height: 5 ' 3

Default Meatloaf Muffins

1 Pound Extra Lean Ground Beef
4 oz. Zucchini, unpeeled and shredded
1 Egg
1 Cup Ore Ida Hash Browns, frozen
1/2 Cup Fat Free Shredded Cheddar Cheese
1/2 Package (3 oz.) Kraft Stove Top Seasoned Stuffing Mix
1/4 Cup Reduced Fat Parmesan Cheese
1/2 teaspoon Minced Garlic
1 teaspoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/4 Cup Ketchup
1/4 Cup Onion, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix all ingredients together. Divide evenly into 12 muffin tins (I used a 1/3 measuring cup to divide the mixture). Bake 30-40 minutes or until done. These would be good as hamburgers also. Instead of placing the mixture into muffin tins, Make 12 hamburger patties, then grill or bake.

Serves: 12
Per Serving: 163 Calories; 8g Fat (44.5% calories from fat); 9g Protein; 12g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 44mg Cholesterol; 291mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Lean Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1/2 Fat; 0 Other Carbohydrates.

WWP: 4
snapplegirl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #24  

Here's another one that's very quick and easy.

I tried this the other day and really liked it.

1 lb LEAN ground beef or turkey (I used beef)
1 pkg Stove top stuffing mix (I used pork)
1 c. water
2 egg whites (I used one whole egg instead)
Spread into 12 muffins the regular size. Bake for 30 min or so at 350. 2 pts each.

I thought they were good. My husband liked them, but thought the tops got too crispy from the stuffing so next time I'll put ketchup on the top before I cook them.
Lilion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:56 PM   #25  

Default Cheeseburger Casserole

I started cooking tonight and realized the recipe I was preparing was supposed to go in the crockpot 8 hours ago! Then I realized I didn't have all the ingredients! Nevertheless I came up with a delicious recipe that my family loves!

2 Tbls olive oil
1 onion chopped
1 bell pepper chopped
1 carton sliced mushrooms
16 oz 99% fat free ground turkey
1 10 ox can Campbell's Healthy Request Tomato Soup
1/2 cup water
1 can cream corn
2 cups uncooked egg noodles
1 cup fat free shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 350. In large skillet cook onions and bell pepper in olive oil. When they are almost done add the mushrooms. Cook till mushrooms are done. Add ground turkey and cook until meat is cooked well. Add tomato soup, water, corn and eggs noodles to mixture. Pour into 9 x 13 pan that has been sprayed with Pam. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes. Top with cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is bubbly. ENJOY!

each 1 cup serving is 5 points
KCAVES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 11:42 PM   #26  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

Default Grilled Cheese Burgers

Grilled Cheese Burgers

16 ounces extra-lean ground sirloin beef or turkey breast
3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Kraft reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
1 1/2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
1/8 teaspoon black pepper

Plug in grill machine and generously sprah both sides of doubled-sided electric contact grill with butter-flavored cooking spray and preheat for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine meat, Cheddar cheese, onion flakes, mustard, and black pepper. Using a 1/3 cup measuring cup as a guide, form into 6 bugers. Evenly arrange burgers on prepared grill. Close lid and grill for 5 to 7 minutes. Serve on hamburger buns.

Each serving equals:
194 Calories; 6 g Fat; 20 g Protein; 15 g Carbohydrate; 309 mg Sodium; 65 mg Calcium; 1 g Fiber (4 WW points; add point(s) if you serve it on a hamburger bun)

Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote