Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 04:23 AM   #1  

Default lateral thigh trainer

I've seen this on TV and thought. Wow, I could do this while watching TV. Has anyone gotten one, and if so, how do you like it?
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vc...rainer/135911/
Old 12-07-2005, 08:00 AM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Hmmm...

Looks like something you would definitely want to try out (in a store) BEFORE you put out the $'s IMO.

Especially judging from two of the reviews at Amazon.

First time I've heard of it, but I'm sure that one of these Sundays while working out (the only time I see infomercials) I'll see it being advertised on TV, especially with the January "Peak Season" for this kind of stuff...

but for $100 retail (and I see that returned/refurbished ones are already selling on eBay for $60-70, and if you're in NJ, someone is selling a used one for $20 starting bid or Buy it Now for $25) I wouldn't expect much. To me, it looks kind of cheesy, and it seems to me that one would have problems balancing on the thing, especially if you have back issues (they're trying to market it as the equivlent of a stepper apparently, but with those you have handrails for one thing...)

Check out this ad I googled from Craigslist...

Quote:
We have a Brenda Dygraf Lateral Thigh Trainer that is free to whomever wants it. Just have to come pick it up or it will go to Goodwill by Thursday. Works fine, does have a crack, but still works. We joined a gym and really don't use it. It's just in the way.
Jeez...these couldn't have been out very long, since this is the first post on the item. So it's probably almost brand new and it already has a CRACK...that could be dangerous if it broke while someone was on the thing.

I'd proceed with caution (BTW I must admit I've never heard of Brenda Dygraf, but apparently she's a salesperson/'trainer' with the Shopping Channel).

PS - if you want to exercise while watching TV - I'd recommend getting a step (you can get 'em cheap,especially used) and doing step exercises while watching, or perhaps a stationary bike or a wind trainer (which turns your regular bicycle into a stationary one...try before you buy though because they can be a bit on the noisy side...)
Old 12-07-2005, 08:58 AM   #3  
Bound and Determined

S/C/G: 268/268/150

Height: 5'10"

I actually have a version of this thing. It does ok, but MrsJim is right in that you need to have some balance. Place it close to the wall and you can always reach out to steady yourself. When I first started exercising it gave me a decent workout, and after my first session I could certainly feel the muscles in my legs. However, as soon as I got used to it (about a week), the effectiveness wore off quickly. At this point it doesn't even cause me to break a sweat, and I think I've long since past the point where it could make any difference in my legs.

There are models that have hand pulls that could probably provide a bit more cardio and some upper body strength training as well, but I have not tried them and so cannot speak to their effectiveness.

The main thing I can say is this: you can get one of these, or at least the same type of device, at WalMart for $40 or less. Also as MrsJim suggested, check ebay or local classifieds to find one for cheap. No need to spend $100 bucks.

Hope this helps!
~Elisha
Old 12-08-2005, 04:36 AM   #4  

I have the original Lateral Thigh Trainer. I have had mine for over a year and nothing is wrong with it, it still gives me a **** of a workout. I got used to the easier gears, but I don't know how ANYONE can get used to the thing pushed all the way up to the hardest resistance. Like the post above me, you may want to get some resistance bands or some small dumbells to work out your upper body, the lateral trainer works almost like a cross between and elliptical and a stepper, w/o handles. There is also a posture you need to hold so you don't fall off, which actually helps strengthen your core. I hope this helps!

Monique Yvette
Old 12-09-2005, 02:21 PM   #5  

I would go look at local resale shops for trendy infomercial equipment. I've done that with a lot of my equipment- it saves me a lot of money & I don't feel so bad if a $5 item doesn't work as I would have if I spend $50-100. Its actually a good way to mix a home work out up on a low budget.

One thing I would be concerned about with this one in particular is does it have you forcefully stepping at an angle? That is what it looks like to me from the pictures & descriptions. Just because the way we women are built, we have a higher tendency to have problems with kneecaps tracking properly & even dislocating. It seems like this machine could easily cause some knee problems in someone who otherwise had 'healthy' knees if they were not extremely careful about how they were doing it.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:45 PM   #6  
prepare for the BEST time

If you are in NJ, Modells carries it (and has a worry-free return policy) I think they are now down to 50.00.

I foolishly bought this thing one January, and it was truly a stupid purchase on my part. It wouldn't run smoothly no matter how I fiddled with the chain gears. I then developed "ostrich syndrome" (if you can't see it, you didn't waste your hard-earned $$) and stuck it in an extra bedroom...where it collected dust.

When I was cleaning, the FOLLOWING YEAR I found the box in a closet along with the receipt. I returned it and turned the $100.00 into new bras/panties from VS.

If you want something to do while watching TV, go for a smaller elliptical or rebounder. JMHO
Old 12-14-2005, 07:17 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 282/ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

We have one (not the one from the informercial, but the wal-mart one). I wouldn't get one. You can't do it while you watch tv because it squeaks EVERY step. It gives you an ok beginner workout but it doesn't progress much. I also don't like the twist motion, a regular stepper seems better to me. Just my opinion.
Closed Thread