Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 02:19 PM   #1  

Default Which Tonalin CLA to buy???

I was wondering if anyone knows which maker of Tonalin CLA might be the best to buy?

There are so many.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:49 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Well actually...Tonalin is actually a specific brand of CLA, or as their website says: "TONALIN ® CLA is an exclusively licensed product of Cognis Corporation."

Kind of like how Splenda owns the exclusive rights to the sweetener Sucralose...they sell it to the manufacturers who use it as an ingredient in their products. Same thing.

Just FYI...
Old 03-15-2004, 02:55 PM   #3  

I see.

But I still don't know which to buy.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:05 PM   #4  
it's always something

Are you losing weight or have you already lost weight and are trying to keep it off now?

All of the studies so far show that CLA does nothing to help weight loss. It's a common advertising ploy that the manufacturers use to sell more product. However, there are some studies that show that CLA can actually prevent weight gain though those studies are somewhat inconclusive.

Here's a quote from the University of California, Berkeley
Quote:
Lately CLA supplements have been attracting the attention of scientists. It takes a brief chemistry lesson to explain what this substance is and what it might do. CLA stands for "conjugated linoleic acid," a group of polyunsaturated fatty acids derived from linoleic acid. It occurs in very small amounts in meats such as lamb or beef as well as in dairy products. Little is known about it. The foods that contain the highest level—cheese and beef—are not foods you should be consuming in large amounts.

The claim for CLA supplements is not that they produce weight loss by themselves, but that they make dieting easier and help keep fat off. We each have a certain number of fat cells, and we can never rid ourselves of them. But losing weight is a matter of reducing the amount of fat these cells contain, and there's some evidence that once you've reduced body fat by dieting, CLA may somehow keep you from filling up your fat cells again once you stop dieting. But research on this is only in its early stages, and studies in humans are scarce. One good study by scientists at the USDA and the University of California, Davis, found that CLA capsules did not affect body fat or weight.

There's other news about CLA from a few early studies. It may have antioxidant effects (like so many other substances in foods), reduce the risk of heart disease, and/or lower insulin levels. Its anti-cancer effects are under investigation. But this is all largely theoretical and comes mostly from animal studies.

If CLA produces any benefits, they would come only from large amounts—more than you can get from food. Nobody knows whether such high levels are safe. And no one understands the long-term benefits and risks.

Maybe in a few years, research will tell us more. CLA supplements may prove to be a useful for dieters or for other purposes. For now, it's too early to say, and we suggest that you wait and see.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:19 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

My two cents on Tonalin CLA. I just stopped taking CLA this week. I had read all the great things about it on the Tonalin website and at other places so I decided I would use it. Now I have yo-yoed my weight for years and this time using CLA, my weight loss was absolutely NO different from any of the other times that I have lost. Additionally, the information that I read stated that it would help you lose weight quicker, particularly mid section body fat, but only if you took it as part of an exercise program. I took it according to the directions on the bottle and saw NO difference in my weight loss or fat distribution.
Old 03-15-2004, 04:23 PM   #6  

Well, then.

My pocketbook thanks you all!
Old 03-16-2004, 09:49 AM   #7  

Same here. I took CLA for 3 months based on the reports out of Purdue, and no difference. Stopped taking it a few weeks ago with the last info on the other thread about CLA. I have a large unopened bottle I can't return because it was a buy 1, get 1 offer.

dip
Old 03-16-2004, 09:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Ditto - I tried it for 3 months and saw NO difference, except my pocketbook got thinner! I was disappointed again - when will I ever learn!

Cathy
Old 11-14-2005, 08:07 PM   #9  
Mr. Paul

Thank you so much for your experiences. Unfortunately, I just got in 180 tabs of Tomalin CLA; a result of my ignorance regarding them.

However, now that I have found this site, I look forward to pre-qualifying my weight loss decisions before plunking down the hard earned money.

Thank you again as your sharing does help!

-Mr. Paul
Closed Thread