Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 01:03 AM   #1  

Default Body 4 Life for Women

Has anyone does this program? If so what were your thoughts and results??
Old 05-26-2005, 07:29 PM   #2  
Empress/Queen

Dunno about BFL for Women, have seen the book. Have done BFL and loved it ... very good program IMO!

Lots of BFLers here, so maybe you'll get a better answer soon. Have a good day!
Old 05-26-2005, 08:39 PM   #3  
it's always something

Jennifer read the book and had a lot of good things to say about it. She said it sounded a lot better than the original BFL. Hopefully she can share her opinions here when she gets a chance
Old 05-28-2005, 11:17 AM   #4  
WW Moderator

The book is very similar to BFL, but tweaked for a woman. It focuses on hormones, and the hormonal stages of life. To me, the nutrition program was similar to BFL, but actually gave exact portion sizes on a chart in the book, rather than 'size of a fist' and 'size of a palm'. When I'm hungry, my hand tends to grow.

The book covers her 3 M's - Mind, Mouth and Muscle. She goes through head hunger and emotional eating, and how hormones affect our eating habits. Then she goes through the nutritional program. It seemed a little confusing at first, but she then gives a chart with exact portion sizes, and she has several Q/A's on it, including ways to calorie count on the plan if you have a hard time losing weight. The muscle section is her own version of strength training, which is very similar to the classic BFL, but in my opinion, more doable to a woman that isn't a seasoned weight lifter.

Very good book - even if you don't follow the program, she has a lot of BFL success stories for motivation, and a lot of information about weight loss and exercise from a woman's point of view. It's not a fluffy, watered down, 'women's version', but instead, a version that fits in our lifestyle better.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:58 AM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

I just finished reading it myself. Like Jennifer, I found it a very worthwhile read.

The 'original' BFL is a very good beginning program...but as y'all probably know by now women have different issues to overcome that men don't. Like estrogen, menopause, pregnancy, etc. Additionally, in the past I've noticed that a LOT of people who have read/tried the original BFL get confused by 'palm/fist' as a standard of measurement. Also, as stated above, the first book didn't go into 'head hunger' or the emotional side of WHY we overeat, or WHY we slide into bad habits.

I notice that the new book eliminates the 'free day' as far as eating goes. While that feature of BFL was a strong 'selling' point for me back in 2001, in retrospect I would have to say that for most of us, a day where you are encouraged to eat like a pig (according to the first book - the way it's written anyway!) is NOT a good idea for people trying to overcome habits such as binge eating...IMO.

All in all a very well written book - I have to say that one of my favorite things about the book was the way the 'before and afters' were done - showing not only a 'before' and 'after' but another photo a year or more after, stressing the importance of maintenance. (one of my personal problems with '12 week transformation' contests is the fact that many of the contestants use/used methods such as competition dieting, doing massive amounts of exercise, diuretics and other supps in order to get to that 'one moment in time' for their 'after' shot. By using these methods you can't help but REBOUND, and rebound BADLY. The idea is NOT to be in a hurry - but make LIFESTYLE changes that one can maintain for a LIFETIME.)
Old 06-11-2005, 08:03 AM   #6  
deleted2

I'm committed to following the program for the entire 12 weeks to see what happens. I'm sharing my 'adventure' on a thread in "misc. clubs"---I'll be the guinea pig! So far, so good--I'm on Day 6. Time will tell....

Old 06-11-2005, 12:06 PM   #7  
WW Moderator

Interesting, Eydie, thanks!
Closed Thread