Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 10:52 AM   #1  

Default Yerba Mate Tea

Hello all,

A friend was singing the praises of Yerba Mate Tea and its proposed benefits in mental alertness and appetite suppression. This is supposed to be a secret from South America and I have found many websites that seem to back up the friend's praises. Yerba Mate is supposed to give you the feeling usually provided by coffee, but without the jitteriness. Also, these sites, as well as a 'Women's World' article spoke of the weight loss benefits.

Although I bought a box from the vitamin store last night, I am skeptical and curious to know whether anyone has used or has heard of this tea and if they can offer some input into whether the supposed benefits are accurate.

Thanks,
Torrey
Old 11-23-2004, 11:35 AM   #2  

Default Mate

Hey Torrey-
I used to work in a coffee shop that sold Mate- if i'm remembering correctly it has what's called matiene (sp?) as opposed to caffeine and makes you alert but not jittery. my peeps mostly drank mate as opposed to coffee or espresso drinks when they needed to be up late for studying or studio work and had to be sharp/alert. The people i knew that liked it REALLY liked it. i personally think it tastes the way a petting zoo smells... seriously. it smells like goats. i even got past the goatiness and drank it once or twice... it's an acquired taste i suppose. anyway. the folks at my shop usually brewed it in a french press (teas bags work just fine though) and put honey and hot soy milk in it. as far as being an appetite suppresent, i'd say if caffeine (i mean coffee or tea or coke or whatever) has no effect on your appetite then Mate wouldn't either (and i only say this because i assume matiene (?) and caffeine are chemically related), but then again i'd never heard Mate mentioned as an appetite suppresent. anyway. don't be afraid to try it and play with it different ways-- you might like it.

s t a c y

Last edited by punkrockgrryl; 11-23-2004 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-23-2004, 11:43 AM   #3  
it's always something

All I know about it is used as a source of caffeine in many supplements, so it works as a stimulant and a diuretic. It contains 30mg caffeine per 2g dry herb.

The majority of the websites I found that promote also sell it, so it's really a 'buyer beware' item.

Women's World is known for publishing a lot of inaccurate diet information, some of which has been shown to be unsafe, so I wouldn't look there for info.

Maybe someone else will have more info
Old 11-23-2004, 11:44 AM   #4  
Uber-Moderator!!

Well, since Women's World magazine isn't exactly what I'd call the Journal of the American Medical Association I thought I'd do some research on my own...

Here's an interesting snippet:

Quote:
Yerba Mate (tea) is made from the leaf of the plant Ilex paraguariensis. It contains caffeine, theophylline, theobromine, and related chemicals that are all stimulants.

Although Yerba Mate is widely used in South America, there unfortunately appears to be gathering evidence that chronic use of Mate increases the risk of several cancers, including bladder (De Stefani 1991), oral, esophageal (throat) (Pintos 1994), and lung (De Stefani 1996). There is also one case report of a woman who had liver problems after long-term use of Yerba Mate (McGee 1976). Because of the nature of correlative cancer studies, it is important to note that the exact cause of the cancer increases has not been identified and there is still the possibility that the Yerba Mate is not the direct cause of the increased cancer rates among users.

Interactions
As with other caffeine-containing teas, Yerba Mate's caffeine and theobromine will interact with a wide variety of pharmaceuticals and can increase heart rate and blood pressure.

Caffeine is known to cause decreased blood levels of benzodiazepines such as diazepam (Valium) or alprazolam (Xanax).

Caffeine is known to cause diueresis (increased urination).

Adverse Reactions & Overdoses

Adverse reactions to Yerba Mate are likely to be the same as with other caffeine-containing teas, coffees, or drinks. At lower doses, unwanted symptoms can include restlessness, reduced patience, irritability, difficulty falling asleep, and other mild-stimulant reactions.

At higher doses, adverse reactions include nausea, vomiting, headaches, and unconsciousness. Very high doses of caffeine can be fatal, although it is nearly impossible to accidentally reach those levels using tea.
One more article...from the US Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine website:

http://chppm-www.apgea.army.mil/dhpw.../YerbaMate.pdf

Quote:
Yerba Mate (IIex Paraguariensis)

Also known as: Jesuit’s Brazil Tea, Jesuit’s Tea, Paraguay Tea, St. Bartholemew’s Tea

Historical Perspective: Yerba mate is a plant whose leaves are used to make medicine. Mate, also known as yerba mate, is a popular beverage, much like coffee or tea, in Brazil, Paraguay, and Argentina.

Common Uses: Yerba mate is commonly used as a stimulant to relieve mental and physical fatigue. It is also commonly used in many over-the-counter weight loss supplements due to its caffeine content and subsequent appetite suppression capabilities.

Form(s) Used: Yerba mate is either used as a dried leaf or as a liquid extract.

Potential Side Effects: Due to the caffeine content of yerba mate, side effects include difficulty sleeping (insomnia), nervousness, restlessness, stomach upset, nausea and vomiting, irregular heartbeat, and increased blood pressure. Use of yerba mate and caffeine-containing herbs/supplements as well as herbs/supplements with ephedra (Ma Huang) or citrus aurantium (Bitter Orange) can increase the risk of adverse side effects.

Food-Drug-Supplement Interactions: Yerba mate interferes with many prescription medications as well as over-the-counter medications.

Contraindications to Use: Children and pregnant or breastfeeding women should not use yerba mate. People with depression/anxiety disorders, heart conditions, hypertension, kidney disease, and ulcers should also avoid yerba mate.

Yerba Mate can increase the side effects of many medications and supplements including :
1) Asthma medications
2) Bitter Orange
3) Disulfi ram (Antabuse)
4) Caffeine compound such as: black tea, cocoa, coffee, cola nut and green tea
6) Certain antibiotics (Cipro, Levaquin, and others)
7) Cimetidine (Tagamet)
8) Clozapine (Clozaril)
9) Ephedra (Ma Huang)
10) Ephedrine and/or cold medications containing decongestants (pseudoephedrine)
11) Estrogen (Estrace)
12) Guarana
13) Lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid)
14) MAO Inhibitors (Nardil, Parnate, and others). Can cause dangerously high blood pressure
15) Medications for diabetes such as insulin and oral hypoglycemics (glipizide, metformin, and others)
16) Migraine medicines containing ergotamines (Cafergot, Migranal, and others)
17) Mixiletine (Mexitil)
18) Oral Contraceptives
19) Riluzole (Rilutek)
20) Terbinafine (Lamisil)
21) Verapamil (Calan, Isoptin, Verelan)

Yerba Mate decreases the side effects of many medications including:

1) Sleep or anxiety medications (Valium, Ativan, Klonipin, Restoril, Serax and others).

Research Data on Safety and Efficacy: Due to its caffeine content, yerba mate is possibly effective when used for relief of physical and/or mental fatigue, as well as when used as an appetite suppressant in weight control. Yerba mate is possibly safe for some people when taken for short periods of time. However, when taken in large amounts for long periods of time, yerba mate is probably unsafe. Yerba mate contains 4-16% tannins, which are believed to have possible carcinogenic and liver toxicity effects. Long-term use may pose an increased risk for certain types of cancers as well as blood clots. Yerba mate is addictive. People who take mate on a regular basis may get irritable, anxious, dizzy, headaches, or exhibit other signs of withdrawal when they stop taking mate.

Bottom-Line: Given the increased potential for serious adverse side effects when combined with caffeine-containing compounds, bitter orange (citrus aurantium), or ephedra containing products, exercise caution when using yerba mate. Before combining yerba mate with any over-the-counter medication, herb/supplement, or prescription medication, talk with a healthcare provider, a registered dietitian or a pharmacist.
IMO - proceed with caution...
Old 11-23-2004, 12:10 PM   #5  

WOW! Thank you guys so much for the quick responses and info. I don't know why I am so amazed by the work of the 'Chicks'!!!! The best thing to do, IMHO is to leave this stuff alone!
Old 11-23-2004, 02:03 PM   #6  

Default Whoa! Over paranoia

Yerba Mate is no more harmful in its overall effects than the majority of the things people put in their mouths every day. I am much more afraid of artificial sweetners, preservatives and "flavorings" than I am of mate. I have never even considered it as a weight loss supplement. This is the first time I have even heard of anyone talking about it as an appetite suppressant. I drink it just like I do any other tea (green, black, jasmine, or oolong).

I would be interested in knowing exactly what sort of reseach the other posters have done on the effects of the ingredients in their foods.

Be reasonable and logical on this one. It's really just like green or black tea. Even these in excess or concentrated doses can cause the same side effects of jitters, etc.

Basically, I am trying to say it's a nice beverage and I like it. I have recommended it to several friends and I recommend you try it as a beverage, regardless of any weight loss benefits.
Old 11-23-2004, 02:31 PM   #7  
it's always something

Yerba mate and green tea have been advertised as weight loss aids for a long time, by the same supplement companies that are usually known for inaccurate data and false claims. We do try to discourage these products for weight loss because of the lack of testing or proven efficacy.

Items such as yerba mate and green tea probably ARE just fine as beverages and should be enjoyed as such, as you say What we were discussing, though, were the claims that these products encourage weight loss. The weight loss supplement industry is making a fortune from products that are useless for weight loss, or potentially dangerous if used the wrong way.

What we try to support here is weight loss through a healthy diet and exercise program, without the use of potentially useless diet products. Yerba mate as a beverage is fine, but yerba mate as a weight loss product may be false hope.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:33 PM   #8  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

My friend tried drinking Yerba mate for 2 months and it had no effects on her weight loss

I have been drinking green tea for years and it hasn't affected my weight loss either I just like it as a beverage
Old 11-29-2004, 05:43 PM   #9  
Mouth of the South

I'm glad I read this stuff. I was drinking Yerba Mate. I didn't notice a difference in my appetite, but my side hurt. When I stopped drinking it, the pain went away. That's creepy!
Old 01-22-2005, 11:24 PM   #10  
Flower Fan 86

I have been drinking Mate for about four months. There are different kinds that have different flavors. Have read a study about the throat cancer. (Wish I would have saved it so I could post the exact wording.) They link it to the drinking of hot liquids, same results with people that drink VERY hot coffee. I started drinking it to get off the coffee. I would drink a couple of pots a day. (with a little coco added) Have noticed a difference in my appetite. Don't get headaches if I don't drink it like I did if I didn't have a cup of coffee. Lost 14 pounds so far but I think that is a combination of things.
Closed Thread