Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 04:01 PM   #16  

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyxxx
Hi Shirley! congrats on the weightloss!

I have never heard of Glucophage so I looked it up and it seems to be for "Type 2 Diabetes Control". Do you have sugar diabetes?
HI AGAIN NO I DONT HAVE TYPE 2 DIABETES. THEY STARTED USING GLUCOPHAGE AS A WAY TO ALTER PCOS SYMTOMS. WHEN U HAVE PCOS YOUR BODY RELEASES WAY TO MUCH INSULIN WHEN YOU EAT AND WHAT YOUR BODY DOESNT USE GETS TURNED INTO FAT. SO AFTER 3 YRS OF STUDIES THEY NOW SEE THIS MEDICINE HELPS THE ONLY SIDE AFFECT IS BATHROOM VISITS WICH TO ME DOESNT MATTER AS LONG AS I LOSE WEIGHT. YEAH THERE IS ANOTHER GIRL ON IT AND SHE HAS LOST 60 POUNDS IN 6 MONTHS JUST FROM TAKING A PILL AND FOLLOWING A 1600 DIET. WRITE AGAIN PLEASE LOVE TO TALK TO PEOPLE. CHRISSY
Old 04-30-2004, 08:24 PM   #17  

I just wanted to add something... While losing weight and getting fit is certainly a lot of hard work, it's also a lot of fun, at least for me. Throughout this process, I've met lots of new people, tried out new activities, learned new things, experimented with new foods, and just generally expanded by life and experience in many different directions. I've also improved my health greatly, and become much more relaxed and happy as a result of my new habits. Even the struggles are gratifying, like winning a hard-fought game. So the rewards of a fitter way of life aren't just at the end of the process-- they happen all along the road. It's actually fun!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:37 PM   #18  
Searching

Someone quick get this to the top of the posts! Start with page 1, and one day at a time.

Chris
Old 05-27-2004, 01:21 PM   #19  

Question

I have a question...
I don't really eat unhealthy, and I do keep a food log... On a daily basis I burn more then what I eat.
I typically have a Lite Yogurt for breakfast occassionally accompied with a 'Special K' breakfast bar.
For lunch I either eat a salad or a small portion from the night befores dinner.
For dinner I normally bake chicken or tuna and accompany it with a vegatable.
I drink lots of water, hardly ever any pop, and a couple cups of coffee in the morning (sweetened by 'Sweet n' Low' only).
The worst thing that I do is have a beer or two everyweek.
I rarely snack, and when I do it's normally chips and salsa or a pickle.
All of this maintains my weight at what it is (220lb).

Is there anything else that I can do to help myself lose weight.
Any suggestions??
Old 05-27-2004, 02:01 PM   #20  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyme
I have a question...
I don't really eat unhealthy, and I do keep a food log... On a daily basis I burn more then what I eat.
I typically have a Lite Yogurt for breakfast occassionally accompied with a 'Special K' breakfast bar.
For lunch I either eat a salad or a small portion from the night befores dinner.
For dinner I normally bake chicken or tuna and accompany it with a vegatable.
I drink lots of water, hardly ever any pop, and a couple cups of coffee in the morning (sweetened by 'Sweet n' Low' only).
The worst thing that I do is have a beer or two everyweek.
I rarely snack, and when I do it's normally chips and salsa or a pickle.
All of this maintains my weight at what it is (220lb).

Is there anything else that I can do to help myself lose weight.
Any suggestions??
Well, first thing I'd ask is...how about exercise? You didn't mention it...

Also, you might want to subsitute something with protein in it for breakfast instead of that Special K Bar, which I would bet has a significant amount of sugar.

This might sound totally loony, but you probably need to be eating more often. (note that I didn't say "eating MORE" - rather than three big meals a day, space out your calories in 5-6 smaller meals. Here's an example (using 'real food', not protein shakes or anything like that).

Breakfast: Hot oatmeal, 2 eggs (or 1 egg + 4 eggwhites) (I generally scramble the egg and whites together or make an omelette - feel free to add veggies such as baby spinach, tomatoes, mushrooms, etc. The more veggies, the merrier! )

Midmorning snack - piece of fruit (such as an apple or peach) or a "light" yogurt (100 calories or less)

Lunch - Chicken-breast sandwich in a whole-wheat pita with lots of veggies and mustard (no mayo!)

Afternoon snack - piece of fruit (if you're really hungry, add some protein like cottage cheese or a hardboiled egg).

Dinner - lean protein (chicken, fish, lean meat) with lots of veggies, maybe a small yam or baked potato (no sour cream or use the fat-free kind - or try salsa!)

Oh and don't forget portion control - with the exception of vegetables, make sure your portions aren't huge.

Hope that helps

Obviously, if you're eating like you posted and maintaining, all you need to do is 'nudge' the caloric intake/outtake a bit to start losing!
Old 05-27-2004, 04:28 PM   #21  

Unhappy

The only real thing I do for excersising is I walk, at a faster pace then normal but not power walk, about 1 1/2 to 2 miles per day (it's the dog factor). Plus I go out dancing one night a week for about 4 hours. Also, on either Saturday or Sunday, I take my dog to the local canal and power walk for about an hour or two.

What you listed seems like a lot of food to me. I do only eat 3 times a day, but it isn't large portions. I've just always thought that the more u eat, the more u gain weight. Normally I don't get hungry in the evenings, so it's a little hard for me to eat then. But I do live by the golden rule 'don't eat past eight or before bedtime'.

I've just been getting frustrated lately because a coworker of mine, not to mention several others, is loosing weight. However, she as well as my roommate had 'the surgery' to lose it. She has lost about 35lbs in the past two months, and it just makes me feel down and fatter when I'm with here and people talk about it. I have done several things in the past year, but I have stayed the same size - never gaining or losing. I personally want to lose the weight the 'old fashion' way, but it becomes frustrating when you never see any results. This is why I have joined this forum, for help and guidance. The bottom is, I don't know how to lose the weight. I have always suffered with it since I was a child, and I am ready to be thin- I want to go down to at least a 14 (currently I am and 18/20). I understand that I am not going to be thin overnight, but to start seeing some results would be wonderful. I don't want to sound desperate, but sometimes I feel that way...

Last edited by Simplyme; 05-27-2004 at 04:31 PM.
Old 05-27-2004, 05:40 PM   #22  
Uber-Moderator!!

It might *seem* like a lot of food, but it's what Dr. Phil calls "High-Response foods", mostly low calorie and high in nutritients. As a rule, the more unprocessed 'natural' foods you eat, the better for weight loss. And portion control is ESSENTIAL. A 'serving size' of protein (chicken, fish, lean meat) should only be about 3-4 oz. (the size of a deck of cards). A lot of times, I've found it's PORTIONING that is skewed.

I just entered my sample menu in Fitday (without the veggies, since they add so few calories) and came up with 1,045 calories, which is actually pretty low...

Breakfast: 1 egg + 6 eggwhites, 1/2 cup dry oatmeal - 318 calories, 7g fat, 28g carbs, 33g protein

Snack: 1 medium apple - 81 calories, 0 g fat, 21 g carbs, 0 g protein

Lunch: 3.5 oz boneless skinless chicken breast - 160 cal, 3 g fat, 0 g carbs, 30 g protein
1 medium wheat pita bread - 123 cal, 1g fat, 25g carbs, 5 g protein

Snack - 1 medium apple - 81 calories, 0 g fat, 21 g carbs, 0 g protein

Dinner - 4 oz steamed or poached salmon - 164 cal, 5g fat, 0g carbs, 28g protein
1 medium sweetpotato - 116 cal, 0 g fat, 27g carbs, 2g protein

You just need to get out of the 'diet mindset' and into the 'lifestyle mindset'. Losing weight ain't easy - it takes hard work and PERSISTENCE - but it's DOABLE and the rewards are RICH. (I'd recommend reading the Dr. Phil 7 Keys to Weight Control book - QUITE good and it's one of the very few that go into the 'head issues' which is the main part of losing weight permanently IMO )
Old 05-27-2004, 05:59 PM   #23  

THANKS....
I will pick that book up this weekend and give it a shot.
Also, I will try out the meal plan that you described and then go from there...
Thank you very much!
Old 05-27-2004, 07:23 PM   #24  
Uber-Moderator!!

No problem!

If the Dr Phil show is available in your area, you might want to tune in over the summer - I'm hoping they rerun the Weight Loss Challenge shows. They were EXCELLENT. However, if you aren't able to catch the show, no fear - there are very good synopses of the shows on the Dr. Phil website.

He's got a seven-day sample menu plan here: http://images.drphil.com/weightloss/7day/

And you can look up all the WLC shows here ==> http://www.drphil.com/weightloss/wei...Weight%20Shows
Old 03-09-2005, 04:53 PM   #25  
What we think, we become.

I read this a long time ago. I wasn't quite ready. Now I am. I came looking for it because I want to pass it on to someone else. What a great post you made that I still remember it!!! Thanks
Old 03-10-2005, 09:53 AM   #26  
prepare for the BEST time

Great Post Mrs. Jim !!! and so very true, I've watched Operah's video too, it was what first helped me make a real decision

......when i was a child (40 million years ago), we never had processed sugary foods,(my mother was a big advocate for preventing tooth decay) we were NOT allowed to watch TV during the day, (the soap operas were sinful to my young impressionable mind)....we walked to and from school unless the weather was bad, we were sent outside to play, build tents, forts, ride bikes, climb trees (to make my mother scream that I'd break my arm).... I guess it was the early version of aerobic exercise....at night we washed dishes by hand and got up off our butts to change the TV channel.

I take immense satisfaction from my daily exercise lately and being able to shut my mouth when I'm full....it's getting easier each day, and I am thrilled with every small positive change in my body....hopefully it will continue!
Old 03-10-2005, 12:46 PM   #27  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thanks EVERYONE!

I'm REALLY happy that I can help in any way possible.

Believe me...if I can do this...YOU can. I'm not Superwoman by a long long loooooong shot. I really believe that a positive attitude, willingness to work on permanent changes and concentrating on overall HEALTH are absolutely essential towards success!
Old 03-13-2005, 12:04 PM   #28  

Awesome thread! Lasting, healthy weight loss truly does result only from a healthy lifestyle that you enjoy maintaining, not a fad diet or dependency on diet pills or other *iffy* weight loss methods. (I <3 Dr.Phil's advice as well...)
Old 03-17-2005, 03:43 PM   #29  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

MrsJim-caught the thread title and I just HAD to respond...

At my husband's company Christmas party a couple months ago-I wore a pretty smashing new dress. Now, we attend this Christmas party every single year-and I see these same people every time. Well, over the past year I have only lost about 7-8 pounds in scale weight (the rest came off quicker the year before) but because of my increased exercise the past year (in duration and intensity) things are "shaping up" a lot, you know?
Well, my hair has grown out some as well over the past year, and one of Jason's co-workers wives came up sort of ticked off-because she thought Jason came to the party with another woman. Well, that made my day-and then she said:

"What's your secret?"

Now-what I have noticed from people who notice your weight loss, is that they ask this question with keen interest. They want to know what pill you took, what crash diet you went on, or that you have been doing herbal body wraps at the new dayspa-but the minute you start telling them that you have diligently reduced the amount that you eat, eat better quality foods, and work your tail off with the exercise-THEY LOSE INTEREST.
Old 03-17-2005, 07:38 PM   #30  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil
Now-what I have noticed from people who notice your weight loss, is that they ask this question with keen interest. They want to know what pill you took, what crash diet you went on, or that you have been doing herbal body wraps at the new dayspa-but the minute you start telling them that you have diligently reduced the amount that you eat, eat better quality foods, and work your tail off with the exercise-THEY LOSE INTEREST.
Yup...I've found that to be true myself.
Closed Thread