3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Does it Work? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work-11/)
-   -   Total Gym (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/does-work/29963-total-gym.html)

conway_1979 08-20-2003 01:10 PM

Yes, I use mine. I think that since I began working out every day, and not counting calories so closely, I have lost weight than ever before. I never feel as tired as I did when I was starving myself, I know I am getting fit and staying healthy b/c I am not taking any weird supplement or cutting vital nutrients from my diet, and I reward myself w/ a snack food here and there to keep my cravings down. Granted, this approach may be slower than a pill or a diet, but it will stay off and what I am losing is FAT... not water weight.

tmg50 10-09-2003 01:01 PM

Does anyone remember the Dyna Gym from the 70's? I think the same person invented it only modified it a little for the TG. Instead of the pole it had a 3 rung ladder and leg strap to hold your feet in place to do the leg pulls. You were supposed to do 125 of them twice a day. That was hard. Then the arm pulls, but I can't remember how many of them twice a day. I don't think it would be done that way today.

I still have mine or rather my daughter has it. If you remember this, please comment. I would be interested in how similiar you think it is.

tmg50

Suzanne 3FC 10-11-2003 12:11 AM

Wow, very similar! I don't recall seeing them before, but I did a search and they are still available. It does look like a TG.

Does your daughter like it?

Pianolady 10-12-2003 09:49 PM

I too have a total gym, mine is probably a much older model, have had it for years. Although I don't tend to use it much anymore (have free weights), my daughter just loves it, and I don't have to worry about her using the free weights when I'm not around (I have teens just starting to get interested in fitness). I'd forgotten I had it, I think I'll steal it from my daughter and start using again tomorrow, I'm getting bored and ready for something different for a while.

tmg50 10-13-2003 09:26 AM

Suzanne 3FC,

What type of search did you do to find it? I tried the Web but never found it. I think the TG looks easier to slide or maybe mine just needs a good cleaning.

My daughter liked it when she used it, but got tired of having to put it away each time since she is limited on space. She is now using my treadmill.

tmg50

Suzanne 3FC 10-13-2003 11:04 PM

I just put it in google. Is this the same one you have?

http://store.yahoo.com/bigfit/dyntotbodhom.html

My total gym is getting a little hard to slide, but it was really easy at first. I recently took it apart and cleaned the wheels, but I'm wondering if I should wax the frame, perhaps. Wax made my windows slide easier, lol.

Nefalu 10-22-2003 03:00 AM

One piece of advice on the purchase of a Total Gym - - As someone suggested, check eBay. I actually bought a Total Gym knockoff called the Total Trainer 3000; it's a fantastic gym. Comes with a few of the items optional on the Total Gym as standard equipment (pull-up bar, foot rest, leg wraps, etc). The Total Trainer was $300, MUCH cheaper than Total Gym. The people that I bought it from off eBay (fitnessbargains.com) were very professional as well, cleaned up a screwup with my payment in no time and shipped fairly quickly. Their ads also make a pretty good case as to why their gym is built better than the Total Gym, and I've had no problems after 6 months of use.

Also, AVOID the Total Gym knockoffs you can buy at CostCo, Sam's Club or WalMart; they're VERY cheaply made. Had a friend buy one and the frame welds cracked after 2 months :( Not a very heavy person either, maybe 150lbs.

It's a good gym for weight training, but forget the cardio stuff they try to say it can do; it's not very feasible. Forget folding it up every day - a hassle. Does fold up fairly small though, maybe 4ft high, 1.5ft across and 8-10 inches deep.

hbaskerville 11-03-2003 06:58 AM

Are you talking about the Total Body workout gym? If so I bought one of those when I got my Student Loan along with the Make over America program. The total body gym is in my living room. Only the bar that you use to do many of the excersizes "folds" other than that it stands, however it is quite compact. I have had it for six months, it has been used by me twice, and by my husband Whom I bought it for who PROMISED he would use it daily three to four times. Now it sits in our living room used as an extra seat, clothes hanger and other assorted uses. Hopefully we'll use it soon, if not on to ebay it goes, or else I might just give it away. I hate shipping things. As for the 6WBMO (makeover america) I am sure there is a spot for that as well on these boards, it probably works, however I couldn't take it after a week. More about that in the appropriate space.

Suzanne 3FC 11-10-2003 10:13 AM

Heather, I think what you are describing is a body by jake machine. The Total Gym would be the one at http://www.totalgymdirect.com/

I also have a few pieces around the house that are used as extra seats, lol. It's amazing how easily we can accumulate these things!

ChubsInPa 11-11-2003 05:20 PM

I had a total gym 2000 but sold it on Ebay :lol: It was ok....it's really kinda big, supposed to be able to slip right under your bed but it didn't fit under mine.

Skew 11-11-2003 06:50 PM

The first time I saw the ad for TTG
I thought it was The Dyna Gym with
a new name.

They were sold door to door back in
the 70s. Least the one we bought
came that way. Tres expensive for
back then too.

It worked quite well for what it was.
Helped if one was in excellent shape
to start with. Some of the exercises
were absolute killers when using your