Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2002, 11:34 PM   #1  

Default Herbalife

I was just wondering if anyone has tried this product and what results you had. I have tried to find information about this product but all I can find is people selling the product. I have been using this for awhile and have not had any bad side effects and I have lost weight. I just wanted to know if anybody knows anything that I should know.
Thanks,
Nellie
Old 10-07-2002, 11:29 AM   #2  
it's always something

That's just it. The majority of the people that recommend it are the ones selling it. The primary focus of Herbalife is not weight loss. It's multi level marketing.

We're working on a new feature for the site which will break down products like these and explain the pros and cons, with potential side effects.

In the meantime, do a search on our forums for herbalife, and you'll definitely find a lot of negative comments from former users, and former distributors.
Old 10-08-2002, 06:58 PM   #3  

My dad sold this for a while. He made me try it...well, he didn't force it down my throat, but he kept nagging me to buy some. I did, and it was terrible. So many pills and so little food. I was SO terribly irritable every day and hating myself. A couple of weeks doing this caused me to stop and binge a lot and I gained weight as a result.

Plus, you really don't know what all those "natural herbs" are doing to your body in the long run!

CD
Old 10-09-2002, 02:25 PM   #4  

I started on herbalife in January and lost 18 pounds in 6 weeks! I felt great, but it was a LOT of pills and was very costly! Unfortunately after I stopped taking the pills the weight came back on like usual....the people I bought from encouraged me to start selling, and I tried for a very short while, but felt like I was taking advantage of people as desperate as I was (and still am) to lose weight...The protien shakes are not very tasty, but the protein soups aren't bad, and I still have some that I substitute meals for...Just ended up costing a fortune..a disappointment again
Old 10-09-2002, 03:01 PM   #5  
Uber-Moderator!!

Modus operandi with multi-level marketing...distributors are encouraged by their 'upline' to sign all customers up as distributors as well...the bait they generally use is lower prices on the products (which are overpriced anyway). Of course 'distributors' usually have to spend a lot of money on a 'sales kit' and are generally also expected to spend a certain amount of money each month on products that are sent to them automatically...and they are promised big buck$ if they (of course) continue the pyramid and sign up their friends as distributors under them!

It's a pyramid scheme - just barely legal.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - if these products were so earth-shatteringly wonderful, Herbalife or whomever would sell them in the normal retail channels - they'd make a fortune. Of course as Shakespeare said "There is nothing new under the sun" and there is nothing new in these products.
Old 10-09-2002, 09:24 PM   #6  

I am not at all interested in selling the herbalife, My sister was the one who got suckered into that. I am more interested in the results others have got and if they had any bad side effects and things like that. I get mine for free since my sister went in big and has a huge supply of it that she no longer has any desire to sell.
I have been taking it for about 3months off and on but faithfully the last month and I have had a good weight loss. So far there has been no bad side effects.
I just wanted to hear about other users because I have such a hard time finding out information on it other than from the sellers.
Nellie
Old 10-10-2002, 06:23 PM   #7  

Personally, I think it's horrible. Even my dad and his wife lost weight on it...but they realized the marketing schemes and stopped selling, and they both gained back. Unless you plan on taking it for the rest of your life, the weight loss may not stay because you're not really learning HOW to eat, they are just telling you take some pills, drink a shake and have a sensible dinner. Like Slim Fast.

When I used it, I was SO irritable and I'd get headaches. Not sure if the headaches were from not eating enough or from the pills...but it's not good stuff IMO!

Good Luck!

CD
Old 10-14-2002, 11:28 AM   #8  
One more time

My sister sold the stuff for a while. so naturally she had me try it. I really hate pills....nothing takes the place of food.. a nice salad, fresh fruit, and veggies.....I ended up throwing the pills out the door, and the veggies are even cheaper.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:25 AM   #9  

I got on Herbalife when I was 17. I know it sounds horrible (I'm 21 now, shows how long I've been trying to lose weight I guess). Anyway, it was very expensive, I had to babysit extra in order to pay for it without my parents knowing. I managed for 2 months, but lost very little weight, and anyway, it came back before I knew it. All I remember is feeling sick (I had to learn how to swallow pills for the first time in my life), eating little and not liking it much. Besides, there's no focus on exercise, which, over the years, is what I consider to be the most important thing to keep healthy. I don't know- if u see results, maybe u should stay on it, but one thing's for sure, when ur getting of Herbalife, do it slooooooowly and make sure to have like 1-2 months of transition to normal food. Otherwise, all that money and dieting will have gone to waste.
Good luck!
Sunny
Old 10-20-2002, 09:05 AM   #10  
Body-for-Lifer

I'll share my little tidbit on Herbalife. I searched for hours about information on their products/packages and if you read correctly, you have to replace 2 meals per day with these nasty flavored shakes, and have one balanced meal (healthy) per day. Who seriously wants to live like that? Not to mention the price (around $100!)
Old 11-19-2002, 08:05 PM   #11  

Default Herbalife

Herbalife - be careful there. Was once married to someone who was into multi-level marketing. Remember that herbs are drugs and can create different reactions in different people. Ask your doctor before you go on anything like this. My ex almost killed someone with Herbalife as the herbs shot her blood pressure sky high! Not a good thing! Mactavish
Old 11-22-2002, 07:50 AM   #12  

wow, i wish i would have seen this earlier. i am getting a bottle tonight, i already paid for them. i have mitro valve prolapse(not serious) someting to do with my heart. i have a very low tolerence for caffeine and all diet pills i have tried in the past. my cousin lost 43 lbs on it, so as this last resort, i told her i wanted to try some. from her distributer. i am not doing the whole program. i tried some samples of one kind called golds and i only took one in the morning and one in the afternoon, i had trouble sleeping. so the next day she brought me over the new ones called thermogentics total. ephedra free. i took one , in the morning one day and was starving by dinner cause i didnt want to take another on. so the next day i took one in the morning and one in the afternoon of the new ones, i wasnt hungry but still had trouble sleeping. so when i get these new ones tonight. i am only gonna take one at 10:00 everymoring and see if that agrees with me. that way i will be doing most of the work myself, making food changes, i always excercised so i will continue that. i just wanted something to get the edge off of my appetite. and i have already decided from everyones stories here, that when i run out of this bottle i will not be ordering another one. i will try to do it on my own. i still need to lose 50 lbs. if i could just get myself jump started and see some results then maybe i could change my eating for good. i have just lost 13 lbs but cant really notice a differnce yet. i did this just by trying to eat less. but i have come to a plateau because i cant stay in contro over the weekends. maybe i might even just take the pills on the weekends. i will figure it out. i am not gonna be taking the whole program. that does seem to be a bit much. thanks for sharing guys. i will let you all know how it goes.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:03 PM   #13  
Uber-Moderator!!

You should be able to get your money back if you haven't received the bottle or opened it yet...if you have heart problems though, I would definitely NOT take the risk. It just ain't worth it - especially since these pills don't work anyway!
Old 11-22-2002, 07:53 PM   #14  

thanks mrs jim. fate kinda stepped in tonight. my cousin came over and told me the pills were on back order, so i told her to give me the other ones i tried and she said they were discontinued. i took this as a sign that someone didnt think it was a good idea that i take them. so i got my money back. i am not going to take them. i thank everyone for their respones. mrs jim, a size four??? that is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-27-2002, 09:04 AM   #15  

not taking them, my cousin came over to give me them and said they were on backorder then she said another kind was discontiued. i took it as a sign to not get them, so i tried dexatrim natural and had bad side effects, my body is telling me to lose weight the healthy , slow and natural way. dont know if i can do it, because i have a huge appetite, only thing i know is i cant do it by fad diets or diet pills. back to square one.
Closed Thread