Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 03-25-2010, 04:33 PM   #1  
Loving Life!

S/C/G: 230/220/120

Height: 5'0"

Default Weight Sense multi-vitamins

So I went looking for a daily vitamin, and came across these. They're my local drug store brand ("Life" brand). They have a lot of different multi-vitamins geared towards specific situations, For women, for men, prenatal, women over 50, etc. These particular ones are labled Weight Sense "specially formulated to help your body metabolize proteins, fats and carbohydrates".

Other than the regular ingredients found in most multi-vitamins, these include 150mcg of Chromium and 27mg of EGCG (from a standardized Green Tea extract).

I've obviously heard of green tea before, but didn't know it was supposed to aid in weight loss? And the only place I've seen Chromium before is that it's an ingredient in those Fuze drinks that are really popular around here right now. Again, I had no idea it was linked to weight management.

Is anyone familiar with what these are good for, or supposed to be? Worth bothering with as opposed to a regular multi-vitamin (same cost)? Any reason to avoid it? Thanks!
MakingSkinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2010, 06:04 PM   #2  
it's always something

Unfortunately, many vitamin supplement makers capitalize on old myths that many people don't realize have been proven wrong. EGCG and green tea are frequently touted as weight loss aids, but the only study done showed that if you drank 4 cups of green tea daily, it would result in up to an 8 pound loss over the course of a year and it only worked with real green tea, not with supplements. One cup of green tea has about 25 to 30 mg of EGCG. But green tea is loaded with antioxidants and should be enjoyed anyway

Chromium is believed to be an essential trace mineral. One form, chromium picolinate, has been sold as a weight loss aid for many years. It is claimed to boost athletic performance, build muscle, and promote weight loss. The Federal Trade Commission have determined these claims to be deceptive.

While chromium may have health benefits, extensive clinical trials have shown that chromium does not have an effect on weight loss. Chromium can cause side effects in many people, including everything from stomach discomfort to genetic mutations in DNA. (according to Berkeley Wellness, University of California) Chromium may also interfere with other supplements or medications.
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote