Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 01-27-2009, 01:33 PM   #1  

Question Garden of Life "FucoTHIN"

I use their vitamins, and came across this product. I would like to give it a try, but don't have money to waste. Here is the description...

Garden of Life "FucoTHIN"

Product Features
All-natural concentrate with fucoxanthin levels 250-500 times higher than wild seaweed
Supports the metabolism or breakdown of fat in white adipose tissue, including belly fat
The first marine algae-derived ingredient with clinically proven thermogenic effect
Does not stimulate the central nervous system and will not cause jitters or lost sleep
Anyone who is seeking to manage body fat and support a healthy metabolic rate while following a balanced diet and a regular exercise regimen

Product Description
fucoTHIN is a natural, whole food based supplement that is made with a proprietary concentration of fucoxanthin combined with pomegranate seed oil, for a patent-pending formula that is naturally thermogenic. fucoTHIN has been studied by leading scientists for many years and is the only formula that has human clinical research to confirm its thermogenic effect.

Product Description
Non-Stimulant Thermogenic FücoTHINTM is a natural, whole food based supplement that is made with a proprietary concentration of fucoxanthin combined with pomegranate seed oil, for a patent-pending formula that is naturally thermogenic. FücoTHINTM has been studied by leading scientists for many years and is the only formula that has human clinical research to confirm its thermogenic effect. Thermogenesis is the process by which the body increases its metabolic rate, requiring utilization of internal stores of energy, such as fat. FücoTHINTM supports the metabolism or breakdown of fat in white adipose tissue, including belly fat. FücoTHINTM does not stimulate the central nervous system and will not cause jitters or lost sleep.
cathyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #2  

Woman's World magazine has a $5 coupon for this product in their current issue.
Scarlet Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #3  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Results of Fucothin in rats has shown some promise but there haven't been any information on human tests with Fucothin.

I know there were some threads about it previously and results were inconclusive.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #4  

Default Human clinical trials

According to SPINS, which tracks all the supplements in the natural products industry, fucoTHIN is the number 1 selling SKU with a gold standard in human clinical trials. Results form a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials of 140 female subjects after 16 weeks showed the participants lose an average of 14.5 pounds compared to a 3 pound loss in the placebo group.
Scarlet Fever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:27 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet Fever View Post
According to SPINS, which tracks all the supplements in the natural products industry, fucoTHIN is the number 1 selling SKU with a gold standard in human clinical trials. Results form a double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trials of 140 female subjects after 16 weeks showed the participants lose an average of 14.5 pounds compared to a 3 pound loss in the placebo group.
Do they have a link to the study results or just a summary?
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #6  
★ Kelly ★

S/C/G: flawsome

Height: 5' 5

sounds interesting
MissLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:51 AM   #7  

Saw this thread.... not sure how much this particular supplement is, but it seems like a person could likely get similar results with kelp supplementation, and it might be cheaper.

I know several sites sell cut and sifted as well as powdered bladderwrack (one particular species of kelp that is high in iodine), which you can use to make your own capsules. I have also used kelp powder in soups and crock-pot bean dishes -- adds a salty flavor without salt.

I would stay away from any kind of kelp or seaweed based diet products if I had hyperthyroidism or was currently on thyroid treatment unless I'd spoken to my doctor first. Too much iodine can make hyperthyroidism worse, and the wrong kinds of iodine have been implicated in causing hyPOthyroidism (odd!). Most seaweed and kelp products, no matter which species, have high iodine levels.

Since I don't eat a lot of salt and haven't had to have thyroid supplementation since I came off of BCPs, kelp didn't seem to hurt me. I don't know how much it contributed to my previous attempts at weight loss though. (I'm currently 40 lbs under my high weight, but I'm gaining again, had lost about 90 lbs total when I had kelp in my diet but I'd just come off of BCPs and was also more active than I am now.)

Good luck to all of us!
Brighit is offline   Reply With Quote