Does it Work? Unsure if the latest product or service lives up to it's claims? From popular products to the latest scams, discuss it here before you buy!

Old 01-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #1  

Height: 5' 8"

Question Milk Thistle?

Hiya,

Just wondering if anyone has taken or is taking Milk Thistle? I've read that it's good for liver function and a properly functioning liver is essential for metabolism (read: weight loss). Any opinions before I try?
Thanks!
Kim
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:03 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

There is some evidence that Milk Thistle has a positive effect on liver function in people with liver damage- please see this article from the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/sil...nt-milkthistle

However, there have been no conclusive studies that indicate that people without liver damage will benefit from milk thistle, nor any studies that I can find that show that repairing liver damage will increase weight loss by itself.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I've never noticed it. Where do you get it?
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:21 PM   #4  
TBL RED TEAM MEMBER

S/C/G: 230/210/140

Height: 5`11

You can get milk thistle from your local healthfood store. It is good for flush toxins from your liver. Some herbalist belive that in order speed up your metabalism your liver has to be in order. I personally use it for those benefits but thats up to you.
MISS 1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:28 PM   #5  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Umm... no personal experience using it myself. I feel almost silly mentioning this , but I do have experience with its veterinary use. My vet has my older dog on it (in compound with SamE which is also reported to be good for the liver). Her tests show a key liver enzyme (I'm assuming the doggy version of ALT) to be elevating. It has definately improved her energy level , but she has actually gained weight on it (which is a good thing for her). The way it was described to me, her liver is now able to process her food and less goes to, um, well, waste.

OK, sorry, I know that this is a people forum and not an animal one, and I hope I don't offend by relating my non-people related experience. I just thought you might want to know that (at least in a different species) it had the opposite effect of causing weight loss.

Another thought - Do you have threatened liver function? Like mandalinn82 said, I don't know that its supposed to do much if your liver is within normal ranges.

Hope this was helpful!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #6  

My husband has a liver that doesn't function properly, and he was taking milk thistle for a while. The damage to his liver was already pretty bad, so he is on other meds now to help him.
Tammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:03 PM   #7  

Default Thanks for your input

no worries Amarie - I am "mom" to 2 furry, four legged girls so doggie experiences are in no way offensive

Thanks for the input - The way my doc put it, my liver is "stressed and slightly fatty". Pretty good description of the rest of me too No serious damage (yet) but needs some TLC. He didn't seem to think it would hurt to give it a try. I seem to be on a really good (sensible for a change) diet and exercise program so I'm not really thinking it would be the magic bullet to weight loss but hoping it might help me repair some of the havoc I wreaked on my metabolism during my misspent youth with all those starvation and fad diets.
yoyonomoreinvegas is offline   Reply With Quote