Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #1  
Returning Member

Default Constantly Cold & Tired Losing Weight?

Hi everyone,

Is anyone else experiencing feelings of extreme cold and fatigue on while losing weight? My hands and feet in particular are always freezing, and I could easily sleep 10 hours a day. This has been going on for the past couple of months and is only getting worse. I'm still able to exercise, but it's getting more exhausting, not easier.

I've been following the South Beach Diet for about four months and have lost about 50 lbs. I still have about 100 more to go, but it's been going pretty well so far, although my weight loss slowed down in the past couple of weeks.

I went to the doctor yesterday, and he's doing bloodwork, but he also suggested my problem could be from losing weight too fast and my body slowing my metabolism down. He suggested I eat more! Aaack! I know we don't count calories on SBD, but I figure I'm eating around 1600/day, plus I only exercise about 1/2 hour to an hour a day, so it's not like I'm starving. One of the things I like about SBD is that I get to eat every 2-3 hours, and I haven't been hungry!

I've lost weight at about this rate before, on WW, and experienced more energy, not less. I also do not remember feeling this cold. I do remember feeling constantly hungry on WW, which I am not on SBD. Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks,
Kim

Started SBD 1/23/06
305/254/150
Kimmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:08 AM   #2  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I can't help you with the energy thing, but feeling cold is very common after losing weight. You've lost quite a bit of insulation. I'm always cold and so are most people I know who have lost considerable weight. I used to be hot if the temperature got over 75, now I wear a sweater until it hits 80 unless I'm working out.
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:18 AM   #3  

I have always been the one who was yelling that it was hot wherever I went and now I find myself being cold when others are not. I am also wanting to go to bed earlier and feeling tired in the afternoons. I really think that it has to do with cutting sugar from my diet. Along with the sugar went a whole lot of caffeine (I was drinking a LOT of soda). I am sure that the absence of both of those are effecting me. Since you are doing South Beach, I would imagine that you have cut sugar from your diet also. Were you consuming a bunch of sugar before you started South Beach? I am thinking/hoping that once my body realizes that the overt sugar is gone for good, things will settle down a bit.
WaterWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:23 AM   #4  
Returning Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm still pretty well insulated, so that's why I was surprised to be feeling so cold, but it could be a factor, I'm sure.

Yes, I have cut virtually all the sugar from my diet, and I did eat quite a bit of sugar and starches before - candy, chocolate, bread, crackers, etc. I'm sorry that you're feeling the same way - I hope we both feel better soon.
Old 05-19-2006, 10:36 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 164/137/135

Height: 5ft, 4.5in

I overtrained at one point when I was losing & was constantly tired like you. Taking a week off let my body recouperate, and I was able to lift harder/do my cardio with more intensity when my body had time to build itself back up.

If you haven't been able to up the intensity of your workout (faster tradmill, higher weights, bigger incline) in a while, it might point to overtraining. I'm definitely not an expert, but wanted to toss another idea your way. Cutting out sugar is a GOOD thing, and I don't want to hear that it is sapping your energy!

Congratulations on your 4 month commitment to a new way of eating, and on your awesome weight loss!

-Amy
ameliaamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 10:39 AM   #6  
Returning Member

Thanks, Amelia. I did just up my free weight workout in weights. I took the night off yesterday because I was so tired, maybe easing up a bit will help.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:35 AM   #7  

I'm assuming you moved on to Phase 2 and are eating the "Good" carbs.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 03:41 PM   #8  
Returning Member

Yes, I'm eating good carbs about 2-3 whole grains a day and at least 1 fruit.
Old 05-23-2006, 10:38 AM   #9  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I'm with you on the tiredness. I'm ALWAYS sleeping for hours on end - I think it just has to do with the muscles you are working out. Sleep allows for tissue and muscle repair and depending on how strenous your workout is (even if it's just a 1/2 hour) that could be why your body is exhausted. I'm with Amelia - I don't think the lack of sugar is exhausting you. In fact, it should refresh you because the sugars in candy and chocolate are simple sugars and while they provide you with a quick boost of energy, the boost disappears just as quickly if not quicker, thus creating a need for MORE sugar to achieve the same high. Complex sugars found in fruit and vegetables virtually eliminate this problem.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 07:51 PM   #10  

Height: 5'10

I was ALWAYS cold when I was loosing weight. wearing sweatshirts 24.7. its common but once you move into maintenance, it will go away. and try drinking tea to boost your energy.
sweetlovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 03:02 PM   #11  
Returning Member

Thanks, everybody for the support and ideas. Most of my bloodwork has come back normal, which is good. I'm still waiting for a few additional results, but it looks like this is all just a side effect of losing weight. Maybe now that summer is finally coming to the great white north, things will get better.
Old 05-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #12  
Kyethra

Height: 5'8"

How is your protein intake? I ask because I seem to need a lot of protein. I find if I do not get enough then my energy levels really droop. I don't work out as long or as hard. I discovered that if I do things like have a lower calorie protein drink or bars in addition to high protein foods I really seem to feel a lot better.
kyethra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:26 PM   #13  

Those are symtoms of a slowed metabolism. That happens to nearly all people with anorexia. I'm not saying you have that, but how fast have you been losing? Are you sure you're getting the at least the minimum reccomended calories for your weight and height and activity level (look for a caluator online for your caloric needs).
DairyQueen is offline   Reply With Quote