Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 09:42 AM   #1  

Thumbs down anyone diabetic doing weightwatchers?

Hi: I was wondering if anyone who is diabetic is doing Weight Watchers. I thought I might try it . I am on insulin but they say you can still be on their plan.I thought going to meetings might help me to stay on my eating plan.
Old 06-14-2001, 12:04 PM   #2  

Default Diabetics doing Weight Watchers

Pat,

Welcome and yes, several are doing WW. I'm Type 2 on oral meds and have lost over 50 pounds.
Janetlf is on insulin and has made lifetime, so it is very doable.
Meetings do help with accountability and the leaders usually have good sessions with food finds, occasional recipes and always tips to help you toward goal.

Take care,
- Jim
Old 06-14-2001, 12:14 PM   #3  

Default anyone diabetic doing weight watchers?

Jim: Sounds good I need to be accountable and the support would be good too.Thanks .Pat
Old 06-17-2001, 12:08 AM   #4  

Hi, one of the ladies that teaches with me joined weight watchers with me on April 17th of this year and she is a diabetic who is on an insulin pump. I keep tabs on her during the school year as sometimes her blood sugar gets wacky. She has had no problems at all, except that I know she watches the carbs very carefully, but has commented on how much more stable her sugar readings are now that she has been on WW.

Elaine
Old 06-17-2001, 09:41 AM   #5  

Hi: Thanks for the reply. Has the lady lost much weight as its hard to lose on insulin for me anyway? It would be nice to have my sugars more stable also. Pat
Old 06-19-2001, 10:57 AM   #6  
Mis

Angry

Hello everyone, I joined WW 7 weeks ago and have Type II diabetes. I have lost 15 pounds and really enjoy the diet Lifestyle). I just incorporate my diabetic diet into the points system and find it works really well.
Old 06-19-2001, 06:23 PM   #7  

Pat,

I've lost 75 pounds doing WW and I'm a type II diabetic on insulin.I've been maintaining my loss for 9 months now.

I still go to my meetings, and enjoy them. I learn something new all the time, and I've been going for almost 18 months.

Join us on the Diabetes #9 thread. We aren't all on WW, but it's a great group.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:15 PM   #8  

Janet: Congratulations on your weight loss. I am still considering going to WW. Trying on my own right now with my 1300 calorie diet from the diabetic clinic.Thanks for the invite I will go there and join you all. Pat.
Old 06-19-2001, 11:19 PM   #9  

Thanks, and we will look forward to your posts.
Old 06-21-2001, 10:43 PM   #10  

Angry Type 2 WW too

I've been on WW since January. I'm Type 2, insulin dependent since 1985 (I'm 54). I take Humalog before breakfast and dinner and Humalin L with breakfast and at bedtime.

The WW program is very flexible..it's not "parental" any longer, which means we can eat basically what we want, as long as we stay within our points.

Another phrase for being diabetic is "addicted to sweets." I crave something sweet every day. With WW, I've been able to fill those cravings, within moderation, and still lose weight.

I've had a hysterectomy, double mastectomy and triple bypass...also going through changes. I would attempt to lose weight on my own, and after the first 3 hours would find myself giving up. (Monday's was always the day I'd start and stop!).

Somehow, this is working...I've lost 20 pounds, and my HA1C is the best it's ever been. I alway had ranges of 9-11, which is really bad. My last test a couple of weeks ago was 7! I've never had a 7 before!!! Still have another 35 to go, but I'm working on them 5 at a time.

Both my endo and caridio doctors actually smiled when they saw the tests results and "less" of me.

I understand that my body does not do well with too many carbs, and once in a while I'll go through my journal to see just how many points in carbs I'm eating each day (which includes fruits too).

One of the things I like about WW program is that you are basically on "maintenance" from the beginning. You don't have to deny yourself anything (you just can't eat it in the amounts you might like to eat).

Sending lots of angel essence to all for balance in all things in life -- including our blood sugars!

Old 06-21-2001, 11:35 PM   #11  

Frangelica,

Hi! Finally someone who also takes Lente! It seem like everyone I ever talk to takes NPH as their longer acting insulin.

You are doing great on the WW program. My HbA1c's were high too before I joined WW. The last 2 that I've had were 5.5% and 6.0%, the best I've ever had in the 19 years that I've had diabetes.

Keep up the good work. Join us in the Diabetes #9 thread.
Old 06-22-2001, 12:00 AM   #12  

Frangelica and Janet: I am getting really encouraged reading your letters.I can't wait to try WWs. I have been having 6s and7 when I stick to my diet and its hard to stick to it.I was going on the insulin you were on but got too low with no symptoms so I didn't stay with it.

Pat
Old 06-23-2001, 09:17 AM   #13  

Angry

hi! i just joined ww 6-13-01 and have lost 5 lb. have not weighed this week yet but wanted to tell you just from eating better i also have come down on my insulin, which makes me feel real good about the whole program. just wanted to share that with you good luck, and God bless.
rose
Old 06-23-2001, 10:25 AM   #14  

Rosieogirl: Congratulations on your weightloss. I am hearing good things about diabetics on WW.I am going to join on Wednesday. Thansk for the reply Pat
Closed Thread