Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 06-04-2001, 03:30 PM   #1  
Check out my homepage=>

Question Hypothyroid and Overweight?

Hi there!

Has anyone had much success losing the extra weight from being hypothyroid?

I've been doing intense workouts with weights and aerobics since August 2000, and have seen some good results, but am still having trouble getting rid of those nagging last pounds. Supposedly, I'm successfully medicated to an "acceptable level," but you couldn't prove it by how I feel!

I've heard of several programs that are recommended for hypo patients; has anyone tried any of them? If so, how have you done?

If not, anyone else want to give it a go, along with me? I plan on beginning the Zone Diet, which was recommended to me as being ideal for hypothyroidism.

How about it, gals? Anyone interested?
Old 06-04-2001, 11:49 PM   #2  

Default I have hypothyroid

I too have this and it is harder to lose weight. I just had my levels tested again and they say I am at normal levels but I don't feel like it. I am draggin But I am on Weight Watchers and I really like it. I think a big part of losing weight for us is getting plenty of exercise. Because our metabolism is slower , we have to excercise more to raise it. Drink tons of water too, I have found when I don't I see not as much weight loss.
I would love some support with this and I look forward to talking again!
Old 06-05-2001, 08:42 AM   #3  
Check out my homepage=>

Nice to "meet" you! I was also using WW material, and it really did help me keep track of my food intake (which was why I started using it!) but I've been unhappy with my resulting food choices. I really believe in the concepts of low-glycemic eating, and I tried SugarBusters for awhile. But it just didn't "take" with me - I think I need more structure than SugarBusters offers.

I had researched the Zone Diet back in August when I started physical training, and decided to revisit it a couple weeks ago. I'm encouraged, in that it offers both structure and low-glycemic eating plans.

I'll let you know how I'm doing.

BTW, did you ask for your specific number from the thyroid test? You can be within the "normal" range and still be way undermedicated. Check my webpage and read the "Hypothyroidism and Weight Loss" page. I see my doctor this afternoon & hope to convince her to add some T3.

Stay in touch!
Old 06-05-2001, 11:10 AM   #4  

Talking Your web site

Hey MsLiz!

Thanks for replying, and I didn't see a link to your web site...Could you please post it or e-mail me with it? I would love to check it out. I am going to ask my doctor about raising my meds.....what do you take for it? I take Levoxyl...Anyway be blessed!
Old 06-06-2001, 11:42 AM   #5  
Check out my homepage=>

Hi again!

You can access my website by clicking on the "homepage" link in the upper righthand part of this posting. Feel free to email me (my email address is on my website, as well as here on my profile page) if you have any questions or want more info.

I take Synthroid, but am planning to switch to a different med because of the problems with Synthroid quality control.

Have a GREAT day!
Old 06-06-2001, 10:36 PM   #6  

Smile Yes, I am hypothyroid and losing weight!

I have been jumping all over this lovely board since registering today!

I've been hypo for almost 8 years now... For a long while there, I to thought my weight wasn't going to come off.. But my endocrinologist said, yes, it will to come off with the proper weight management/ knowledge.. I didn't beleive him, because I had tried everything.. Well, yeeeears later (September of '99) I joined WW after watching a 400 lb. co worker come down nicely from WW. I had reached 273, then lost 13 lbs on my own, but with WW it's been peeling off nicely.. I'm now at 173 with 18 more to go... Praise God!!

I take levothyroxine sodium 125 mcg. Generic of synthroid, I think...

I know WW may not be for everyone, but I just wanted to add my encouragement...

Last edited by Swan_lake; 06-06-2001 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-07-2001, 09:59 PM   #7  
Doin' it this time

S/C/G: 208.8/208.8/145

Wink So I'm not alone

Wow thank you for all the info. I checked out both your site and the Thyroid.about site. I have been Hypo since the birth of my first child almost 12 years ago and I have learned more in the last few days then all those years. It is nice to hear success of others with Hypo. I have gone from 180 to about 164 and still going, slowly but going. I just wanted to thank you all for the info.
Old 06-12-2001, 09:47 AM   #8  

I also have hypothyroidism. I'm losing weight with Weight Watchers, using the low carb option (found in the week 6 booklet). It works well for me although I am losing slowly. I have severe asthma and can't exercise very much. I feel like I need to go back and get my meds adjusted, I'm having symptoms again. Please keep posting here...we can help each other.
Old 06-15-2001, 11:44 AM   #9  
Check out my homepage=>

Talking Update!!

Wow, I can hardly believe this, but here goes...

Within 3 days of beginning Zone eating, I started feeling like a totally different person! No more exhaustion, no more headaches or depression. No change in medication, or any other changes except to my eating choices!

I've read others' reactions to this WOE (it's highly recommended by Mary Shomon and others who are knowledgeable about thyroid disease) but I never believed it. Too dramatic; they must be over-reacting! NOT!

I don't know if this works for everybody, but it certainly works for me! YIPPEE!!! Wow - I'm totally blown away.
Old 06-15-2001, 01:36 PM   #10  

Angry Praise God!

MsLiz I am so happy for you! It is great that you have found a good woe for yourself. I am still doing WW and having great success with it. It is the easiest thing I have done to lose weight. I just wanted to say great job! Keep us informed of how you are doing. I just had my levels checked and they say they are normal. I still am dragging though so I am not sure what to do...Have a great day! Jennifer
Old 06-19-2001, 11:44 AM   #11  

I am doing WW with the Low Carb option. I felt better within days of starting this and I've been losing better. Hope you all find what works for you. If any of you want to join us, come over to the WW Low Carb Thread
Old 06-20-2001, 05:50 AM   #12  

Default Wow, I have a long long ways to go :(

I also have hypothyriodism or what ever it is called, and I just started working out about a month ago. I have been watching what I eat but I am not really following any kind of food plan, by the looks of the postings I am going to start really getting down and dirty with trying to lose weight. Wow having a thyriod problem sucks! With me just starting to exercise and eat right it is hard to stick with it everyday, I feel that I am losing the battle already. I have been working out twice a day with videos called Walking away the pounds and I haven't lost any pounds or any inchs, my boyfriend and I have not so great sex life and it has been like that for about a year, since I have gained all my weight. I want to start looking good and feeling good but will that ever happen? Umm, I want to stick with this but somedays it seems like why should I even try? Will I ever get in shape like I use to be? Right now I have no health ins and so the only thing I can afford is paying for my meds, but I can't go to the doctor anymore until I have the money for the appt. I just got it checked before my Med-cal ran out before my 21st b-day, which was monday. Sorry about the posting, but I felt I need to get that out.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:34 AM   #13  
Check out my homepage=>

hollirae ~ Post away, Sweet Thang! That's why we're here! To share, to laugh, to vent, to whine...whatever we need!

It may help to read the article on my website about Hypothyroidism and Weight Loss. Check it out at MsLiz Homepage

Also check out Mary Shomon's site at About.Thyroid.com

Everything you describe is symptomatic of hypothyroidism.
Old 06-20-2001, 08:52 AM   #14  

Default Having thyroind problems sucks!

Well I have looked at both the sites, I am still reading up on the second link you gave me. Wow I am going to have to make a 360 degree turn in my habits to get anywhere, that is going to be so hard. I am use to not eating much all day and having a nice dinner. Looks like that is all wrong for me. The only bad thing with me going on a diet is not that I feel like I am starving it is that I am getting too full and spend way more at the grosry store. Thanks for your suport, I really need it now, I don't really have a lot of friends to talk to other than my bestest friend ( my boyfriend) but it is hard for him to help me stick to good eating when he likes to veg out too, but of course he doesn't have a thyriod problem and he is a guy so that means less weight gain and easy weight lose. Well I did exercise this morning to a tape called Walking away the pounds the 2 mile walk. I haven't ate anything yet and I am drinking water. Umm I don't know what say other than the road is going to tougher for us wacked out thyriod people. Sorry if that didn't make since. Again thanks for the post, it really helped.

Old 11-26-2001, 05:32 PM   #15  

Hi,
I am new to this site - and getting use to how it works. I'm glad I have found some buddies that I have something in common with - underactive thyroid - synthroid- difficult to lose weight and than I get frustrated and EAT. I just find it so difficult to keep motivated.I am at my tops 202, and can't understand how I got to this weight. I looked at a picture of myself taken the other day - and couldn't believe how FAT I looked. I feel awful and know how much I weigh - but I didn't think I looked FAT!!!!!!
Everyday I start eating healthy and by the evening I blow it. I hate feeling so tired and achy. I need to eat healthy and lose 50 lbs. Somebody be my pal.
Coolmom
Closed Thread