Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 09-16-2004, 12:30 AM   #1  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default a question for others with osteo arthritis

Can you tell me ~ when you have osteo arthritis, do you ever go through a time when it kind of eases up ~ like a remission or something? I had been having bad stiffness ~ I would sit for just a few minutes, and each time I would get up it was like I had to start all over again ~ once I got moving, I would unstiffen, but then stiffen up again if I sat down even for a few minutes. More recently, it seems as if I haven't been so stiff as I was. I am ever so thankful, and wondering if/hoping that it will last, and scared all at the same time that it won't. I can't seem to think of anything I have done differently to get less stiff. I wish I knew so that if it was something I did, I could keep doing it.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 01:33 AM   #2  

Yes it does that. Most of the time, my lower back is so sore, but on occasion it settles right down and doesn't hurt much at all - then wham!!! it flares again. I believe that is normal.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 10:27 AM   #3  
RAR

Gayle boy you sure did describe OA to the tee as that is how it works on me so when you have good days you are able so thankful I also found out that rainy weather sure doesnt help it!!!!!!!!!!!! but we all live with it Rita
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 07:04 AM   #4  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

That is what I was afraid of ~ that the stiffness wasn't gone for good ~ and would be back. Oh well ~ I will enjoy being able to move better while I can ~ and be thankful for the times when I am less achy.
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 02:23 PM   #5  
RAR

Gayle that is the attitude you have to have in order to make it day by day although some type of exercise seems to help me so I dont get as stiff as much but at times has to be limited as to what I would like to do and can do as for walking at times very limited when my knee really is bothering me but I wont give up !!!!!!!!! Rita
RAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 10:34 PM   #6  
WW Moderator

My sister, Amy, hasn't had any problems with her arthritis since losing weight. She has lost about 150 pounds and after about the first 75 she saw a lot less pain in her ankles and knees, and hasn't had any problems with it since losing all of her weight. Hopefully the weight loss will help you too.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2004, 11:13 PM   #7  

Jennifer, I wish that were the case. I wasn't at all overweight when I was diagnosed with OA, but it is HOW I gained weight - from anti-inflammatories. My stomach felt like it was gnawing on itself, so I had to eat and often. Then the inactivity caused from OA. I have it in my lower back, in the Facet Joints (the joints that give us the ability to have movement).

Losing weight is an excellent idea however. It is NEVER good to carry too many extra pounds - for yur hearts sake.
Happy Canuk is offline   Reply With Quote