Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-10-2004, 02:20 PM   #1  

Default Gallbladder problems

Hi, I have gallstones. Is the only option surgery? Has anyone gotten good results doing anything else?
suchaprettyface125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 02:45 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

well, for me I had to have surgery I had thousands and thousand of stones, and they were causing me excruciating pain. I would be screaming at the top of my lungs for help I thought I was dying, and it would make me vomit uncontrollably. Surgery was my only option. Although I have heard that some people had some sort of herbal remedy but I don't have any clue about that. If you are afraid of surgery it really isn't bad, your stomach area may be tender for a few days afer but it was nothing compared to the attacks I was having. Another thing, if your doctor hasn't mentioned it already, you really need to cut your fat intake back, with gallstones a high fat diet irritates the gallbladder and causes it to spasm which can lead to an attack.

HTH
Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2004, 02:38 PM   #3  

yea, i heard of the gold coin grass, they claim that is crushes the gallstones within 2-3 weeks and the you do a flush to get them out of your system. I ordered it and will try it, if it doesn't work I will get the surgery. I've had 4 attacks and they do make you feel like you are dying. I really thought I was during my 1st attack, I was like oh my god it's my time! lol I went to the ER I said I have extreme stomach pain, they didn't think it was important and made me wait for 6 hours. IN PAIN!!! I was throwing up yellow bile or vile whatever it's called, which was the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. When I finally got in I had to wait another 2 hours before they gave me that wonderful shot that took all my pain away. So if I have another attack I go and say I'm having a gallbladder attack I need a shot! lol I saw a surgen last week, I told him about the gold coin grass he said if it does work it really doesn't matter cause you'll always get gallstones. So I don't know what to do. I'm still gonna try it.
suchaprettyface125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 09:46 AM   #4  
Samantha

Well I searched for a thread like this because I have just been diagnosed with gallstones, and the doctor has opted to take out my gallbladder today. I thought it was kind of sudden, but if it will make me feel better, I am all for it. Does anyone have any helpful experiences with this? What effects does getting this surgery have on my weight loss? How long will I have to take off from the gym? Please help me with ANY advice you might have. Thanks.
Samantha2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 11:33 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Having your gallbladder shouldn't impede your weight loss at all! You should probably take 6 weeks off from the gym but you are still able to go for walks and such after the first week when most of the discomfort subsides. I think I spent 4 days just resting and then got back on track with my walking and then after 6 weeks I went back to resistance training. Your doctor might have some more personalized advice to give you though. Now anyone with gallstones will tell you to stay away from fatty foods as they can cause an attack which is very very unpleasant. My attacks were very painful and I would just sit on the floor vomitting and screaming for help or to die because thats what it felt like. I had a few attacks even after my gallbladder was removed because I had stones in my bile ducts which was causing the ducts to spasm. Not a great experience but I was great after that! I'm so thankful that I had the surgery and I am back to feeling like my old self again

Good Luck!!
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2004, 12:02 PM   #6  
Samantha

Thank you so much for your advice, Michelle. Right now I am waiting on confirmation from the doctor that it is gallstones. Last night he said he was pretty sure it was, but we needed the ultrasound that I had this morning to be sure. I will update everyone on my progress. Thanks for your support!
Sam
Samantha2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 06:24 PM   #7  

Such a pretty face: I had my gall bladder out and I remember researching at the time that they have precription drugs that will dissolve the stones as well. I'm not much of an herbalist, mainly because it isn't regulated and you cannot guarantee the concentration in the herbs. I don't know if I would take that approach without talking to your doc.

The prescription drugs weren't an option for me because like Michelle, my ultra-sound looked like snow because there were so many stones. Doc said that we could try the drugs, but because of the number and size of stones, they would most likely come back. And there was no telling if they would block the duct into the liver and cause other serious problems.

I had one stone lodged in the duct and it caused something, I think it was white blood cells, to spike. I don't know how bad that was, but the Doc was very concerned and very pleased the next morning after the gallbladder was out and everything went back to normal.

I had one nurse tell me that gallbladder pain was worse than childbirth, I don't know if it is but. . . I remember being in such pain that when the ER Doc was talking to me, I couldn't understand him because I didn't know what language he was speaking.

Good Luck, and feel better.
Alethea is offline   Reply With Quote