Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-09-2004, 07:54 PM   #1  

Smile new to board hypothyroid ??s

Hello everyone,

I'm Jo and new to the board. I have been very impressed with this site and am anxious to get going.

I have been hypo for 3 years now. My weight never seems to flucuate ! Is this normal ? I don't gain and I don't lose. I try to eat right and get regular exercise but would like to lose about 10 lbs.

From what I've read we are to eat a high protein low carb diet. Is this correct ? I am thinking South Beach, is this a step in the right direction?

thanks for help and I look forward to getting acquainted with everyone !
gonnadoit4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 09:49 AM   #2  

I have been hypothyroid for a number of years and have lost 18.2 pounds in 10 weeks on WW Core plan. I love it and I'm getting results. I've worked with a registered dietician and the plan she had me use was similar. It has a little more flexibility than South Beach, but the same emphasis on good protein and complex carbs. It is not a high protein diet you need and you must watch fat. I'm one of the hypos who have developed insulin resistence so there is added incentive for me - I do not want to deal with diabetes in the future.

Good luck - feel free to pm me if you want.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 10:03 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Hi Jo!!

I too am Hypo and as I'm sure you know exercise is very important for those of us with a thyroid disorder and it helps me a lot!! I also started on South beach and loved it and was very successful! I did however switch to Weight Watchers Flexpoints as I wanted a way to track when I decided to have a treat, so with flex I can fit a treat in if I want. Also, I still eat mostly whole foods except in the summer time when I don't like to cook indoors I will make lean cuisine meals But as Susan said we don't necissarily need a HIGH protein diet but mostly I find it important to have a Balanced diet along with exercise As Meg (another Moderator) has told so many people it really comes done to calories. Calories consumed vs. calories burned there needs to be a deficit to achieve weight loss

Good Luck!
Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2004, 08:07 PM   #4  

Default Applaud your responses

Susan and Michelle,

Thanks tons for your responses and congratulations on your weight loss. That is so exciting !!! It also gives me hope and encouragement.

Susan- I have a family history of diabetes and that is a concern for me as well. How does one know if they have an insulin resistance? I have wondered if I had diabetes or something similar but have never been diagnosed.

I have about 5 good friends who have lost 20 plus lbs on WW. I signed up as well and chose the Core plan but then got discouraged as I didn't know what to eat or fix recipe wise nor did I see the weight coming off. Honestly, I didn't give it enough time I assume. Any hints on getting off to the right start? What is that about if you eat hamburger for lunch you can't have it for dinner etc? I have all the materials and will look over them again.
How does South Beach and Core differ ?

Michelle- that's awesome your doing so well, too. I think your correct in that it comes down to calories in verses calories burned. I try to exercise a few times a week, mainly treadmill. What do you find motivates you and has helped you to have such sucesss?

Thanks gals,

Jo
Old 11-10-2004, 11:22 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Jo I find that just picturing myself healthier and happier and enjoying running around with my kids is motivation enough. I also have to remind myself that it isn't going to happen overnight and that I'll see results if I just stick with it Other times when I do a video I mouth off back at the television LOL I know its stupid but its funny and it pushes me through the workout though I don't feel like doing it. I also have a bowflex which I am totally in love with!!

I have never heard that if you have hamburger for lunch you shouldn't have it for supper. Sometimes I'll eat the same thing for lunch and dinner, I must admit though taht I don't eat hamburger any more I'd rather use my calories towards something else, so I use lowfat ground turkey breast which is great. I also love the meatless products offered by Morning Star farms but then again I grew up a vegan so I'm used to eating stuff like that but you should check them out and see if you like them

Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 11:24 PM   #6  

Sharon-

Thanks for your reply to my post and offering to answer some of my questions. I think I'm still confused. I have the Core plan books from weight watchers and went shopping and have tried to make some changes. I wondered if you had any recipes or any insights into how to plan meals better etc ? or where I might be going wrong ?

I don't seem to be losing. This week I ate lean cusine for lunches, string cheese and jerky for snacks. Fish and low fat lunch meat for some dinners. Low fat dairy. Am I on the right track ?

any insight would be appreciated. I hope things are going well for you.