Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 01:48 AM   #1  

Height: 5' 8"

Default Anybody Hypoglycemic?

My sister started the South Beach diet with me Monday and called tonight to tell me she was feeling really really bad. Well, I totally forgot she was hypoglycemic! She has never been on any meds, the docs told her a couple of years to control it with proper diet. I know very little about this, but....should a no sugar no carb approach be a bad idea for her? Even thought it is for only 2 weeks?

I told her to print out the list from Phase 2 and start on that since it introduces some carbs and fruit back into the diet. And I told her to go eat a piece of bread and some fruit...she did and it perked her right up.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-15-2004, 04:54 PM   #2  

The diet for hypoglycemia is the same as for a diabetic - restricted carbs. You should never start a diet on your own without checking with the doctor when you know you have health problems.
Old 01-27-2004, 01:38 PM   #3  

Angry she may be expereiencing a body chemistry change email me I will help

[QUOTE=chazmom]My sister started the South Beach diet with me Monday and called tonight to tell me she was feeling really really bad. Well, I totally forgot she was hypoglycemic! She has never been on any meds, the docs told her a couple of years to control it with proper diet. I know very little about this, but....should a no sugar no carb approach be a bad idea for her? Even thought it is for only 2 weeks?

I told her to print out the list from Phase 2 and start on that since it introduces some carbs and fruit back into the diet. And I told her to go eat a piece of bread and some fruit...she did and it perked her right up.

Thanks

I will be glad to share i am a hypo also 12 yrs she could be experienceing low episodes because of diet change. it takes time for ajustments. Bread is a high carb it will make her feel good for a while then drop her like a rock. eat high fiber whole grain bread. email me if u want to. HUGGSS
Old 01-28-2004, 03:44 AM   #4  
California Girl

I was hypoglycemic for 7 years before I went borderline DM.I could never do the low carb thing. Just wouldn't stabilize my blood sugar. But definitely she needs to control carbs and work from a restricted list, which includes restricting refined sugar. At least 3 meals a day with 2 snacks, some form of carb at each meal or snack (carbs are whole grains, dairy and fruit) If somehow this can be achieved with South Beach, sis will feel much better.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:16 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazmom
My sister started the South Beach diet with me Monday and called tonight to tell me she was feeling really really bad. Well, I totally forgot she was hypoglycemic! She has never been on any meds, the docs told her a couple of years to control it with proper diet. I know very little about this, but....should a no sugar no carb approach be a bad idea for her? Even thought it is for only 2 weeks?

I told her to print out the list from Phase 2 and start on that since it introduces some carbs and fruit back into the diet. And I told her to go eat
a piece of bread and some fruit...she did and it perked her right up.

Thanks

Hi, my doctor diagnosed me with hypoglycemia about 2 years ago, and she told me to control it with my diet too, I told her I wanted to lose weight, and she said weight watchers would be a good diet for me to go on. So far, it doesn't bother me on weight watchers, maybe she could try that, she would just have to make sure she got her snacks in and stuff, but I can do it, so I'm sure she can too, if that would be something she wants to do. It has worked best for me out of all of the diets I have tried, I tried one kinda like south beach, and it made me sick too... so anyhow, I hope I have been of some help to you. I know I don't know all there is to know about hypoglycemia yet either, so if anyone has anything they could help me with, it would be appreciated too.. Thanks Good luck
Old 02-20-2004, 10:19 PM   #6  

I think I may have done something wrong when I posted my message a while ago, So I hope this posts right, I am new, I guess I must not have read everything. I will try to read up on stuff so I will know how to do it from now on. Sorry.
Closed Thread