Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-06-2004, 12:06 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 307/187/130

Height: 5'4"

Default Hmmmm...Anyone?

I posted recently looking possibly for a few people who also have thyroid problems and are trying to lose weight I didnt receive a single reply....is there not one person on these forums in the same boat as me? Im sorry if this comes across as catty only wanted a little bit of support/encouragement
Good luck to you all in your weight loss endeavors
Michelle
MichelleRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 01:11 AM   #2  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Hi Michelle,
There used to be quite a few people with hypothyroidism posting but it's gotten kind of quiet lately.

To compensate for the lowered metabolism you might want to give low carb like South Beach a try. Many people have also had great success with the Body for Life plan.

Say goodbye to white flours, sugars and white pasta. Learn to like the good carbs instead of the bad ones we all love so much. Get a good balance of protein, low carbs and fresh veggies and fruits (the lower sugar ones). Watch your portions and it also helps if you eat on a plan with 3 meals and 2 snacks so that your metabolism stays more constant.

To further bump up your metabolism, you need to seriously commit to exercise - diet alone won't really help and if you cut your calories by too much, you'll just lower your metabolism more. A good cardio program combined with weights is your best bet.

The weight comes off slow, but it does come off. Just seems like we have to work a bit harder at it. Good luck to you!
happy2bme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:28 AM   #3  

awesome great ty so much for the input I will definately give one of those diets a try and pair it with the walking program Ive already set for myself. I really appreciate ur help
Michelle
Old 04-06-2004, 10:18 PM   #4  

Welcome to the board Michelle!

I don't know anything about thyroid problems. My problems are mostly RA & OA...but, would like to get to know you. You're always welcome on our thread at "Friends with RA & OA". It's just a thread name....we mostly just want to help each other get through the bad,painful days that we have. We'd be glad to encourage & be encouraged. Also, my sister has thyroid problems, & won't go to the Dr (no insurance)...so, I'd like to know more about it.

I don't think people meant to ignore you. I know when I'm going to my threads, I tend to look only for the threads that I post on. We should be more careful, & aware of new friends. Good luck with your weightloss. Hope to hear from you.
Angel-lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 10:49 PM   #5  

Default Awww ty so very much

Thank you so much for your reply I greatly appreciate it! Ive just recently (in the last year) found out about my thyroid disease among a few other illnesses well actually only one other major illness that affects my life and it is Pulmonary sarcoidosis and while Ive taken steroids to "calm" the flair ups it has left me with permanent lung damage that makes it pretty difficult for me to do any "high impact" work outs so I chose to start a walking regime everyday taking my children out for walks for at least an hour and now my hubby even agreed he would come with us!! Now I just want to find a diet "plan" and I think I may do the southbeach but hubby said if I do the atkins he will do it with me which would be great!! Its funny I started out being hyperthyroid which caused me to be tired all the time because my body was working overtime and now Im hypo thyroid and still tired all the time cuz Ive slowed down but now Im on synthroid (synthetic thyroid hormone) and I have been for 3 weeks or so and still havent had much change, my gynecologist has recommended me to see a endocrinologist to get my hormones straight cuz she is just baffled by my weight gain no matter what I do I gain approx. 10 lbs a month so hopefully along with getting my hormones figured out and diet and excercise I can take off the weight fairly quickly.
Again ty for your encouragement and i will come visit on the OA/RA boards since there dont seem to be any more thyroid cases hehe jk.
Thanks so much for the invite
Michelle
Old 04-07-2004, 09:06 AM   #6  

Michelle......

Goodness, girl....you've really been through it. I'm so sorry. It DOES sound like you're a fighter though. So keep hanging in there, & do whatever it takes to keep going. A family walk sounds so very nice. Summer is here, now, & that will make it even better. If you're on or been on steroids...wouldn't that have put the weight on you? I know I was taking steroids in my back a few years ago, & I ballooned up so fast, it was unbelievable. Then, when I stopped them, I couldn't lose the weight. About a year after that, I started losing without trying...& went down like letting air out of a balloon! I don't understand Drs sometimes. The steroids didn't help me...& the extra weight made my back even worse.

This last weight gain was from eating for comfort. I'm bad to turn to food when I'm depressed. We'd had a housefire in November of 2002. (We're still building back!) I got really depressed & didn't do anything but watch tv in a tiny apt & eat. One day I REALLY saw myself in a mirror & didn't like it at all. I had went from a size 10 to a size 16 in 6 months! It took a lot of work, especially with no exercise (not able), but I'm back in size 8-10. Now, I've got to maintain. I still fight the depression, as we're are living in the middle of the burnt house in two rooms. The fire started in the kitchen from a NEW Maytag range, so I don't have a kitchen or appliances. Just hotplate, cooker oven, etc, & get water from the bathroom. We're hoping to be finished by the end of summer, though, so maybe everything will be better. Our insurance didn't pay enough, & we had to go after Maytag to finish up. Plus, what furniture, etc was left was in a public storage, & it was broken into & all was stolen.
I'm keeping busy though. I love the pc & stay on it a lot. I also do volunteer work at a Christian TV station close by. I'm the secretary & also help with a couple of programs...the news, weather, sports program. Another one spotlighting churches, where I'm the host. And I have a singing program "Vision of Heaven" on Monday nights. They are all very good friends, and I can rest any time I need to. I really enjoy it & it gets me out of the house.

Well, Michelle, I didn't mean to tell you my life story! Guess I just got to "talking" & didn't know how to stop. I'll try to not be such a motor mouth in the future.

I hope your diet goes well for you...come on to our thread & we'll cheer you on! We started out with Newbie with RA...I, just yesterday changed it to Friends with RA & OA....Next time, we may just add & Thyroid problems. Whatever the name....you'll be one of us!

Have a good day.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:19 AM   #7  

Atkins is a great plan for people with thyroid. It helps balance all of your hormones. I know several people who got off of blood pressure meds, lowered their cholesterol, etc.

Kim
Khewes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:21 PM   #8  

Wow everyone is great!!! Thanks so much for making me feel welcome!!

To answer your question about the steroids angel, when I was taking the steroids I was still Hyperthyroid as the goiter that was on my thyroid was still producing mass amounts of hormones, so I basically maintained weight while on the steroids, then after I had part of my thyroid removed, the goiter, I went hypothyroid because the remaining part of my thyroid failed to start up and start producing as my surgeon was hoping it would, and fortunately I havent had to be on the steroids since it was removed otherwise I dont know what would become of my body lol. I even asked my doctor about getting on weight loss pills (meridia) but I cant because of my thyroid disease or thats what she said, I'll ask my endocrinologist when I finally get to see him
Whoops there I went on talking and talking too hehe!! Its funny I do start running my mouth off about my life lol mostly cuz since I had children I dont have many girlfriends to talk to so I love meeting new people and talking
Well I better get my kids ready for a walk, Thanks again!!!
Michelle
Old 04-09-2004, 08:05 AM   #9  

Hi Michelle....

Hey girl, you don't talk too much....I don't have any close friends either, so this board means a lot to me.

I have a lot of personal things going on right now, so I'm not talking as much as I usually do....but, when things calm down, I'll be on more often & longer posts. Don't hold back, please.

So glad you've joined us on the other thread. I'll meet you there!
Old 04-09-2004, 09:38 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Hey Michelle,

I'm sorry but I haven't seen your post before today. I am hypothyroid and it's really hard. I have had the symptons of a low thyroid most of my life. My bloodwork usually comes back the lowest number it can be to still be in the normal range, but bec I have most of the symptons I finally found a doctor that started me on armour thyroid back in October. I do feel a little bettter sympton wise (not as much hair loss and not walking around in such a thick fog) but so far it has not helped at all with weightloss.

Anyway, I would be more than glad to talk with you about low thyroid problems.

Let me know how you do on atkins.

hugs,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 09:40 AM   #11  

Thanks Cathy for your reply!! I appreciate it . I have been on synthroid for a month now and I feel a little bit better but I still get pretty sleepy during the day no matter how much sleep I got the night before. I have a docs appt next week and we'll see if Ive lost any weight hopefully. Today starts day 3 of atkins, I havent eaten anything yet but Im sure I'll do great today too
Take care