Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 09:59 AM   #1  
Doin' it this time

S/C/G: 208.8/208.8/145

Default High cholesteral

Hi,

I have been trying to find a food plan for people with high cholesteral and have had no luck. I had my choesteral checked a few months ago and the levels were high but my DR wasn't too worried. I have just had a eye appointment and my eye DR said I have a slight calcuim build up on my left eye and this is caused by high cholesteral. Please someone point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2003, 04:54 PM   #2  

There are oodles of books on cholesterol lowering diets. A trip to the bookstore or library will yield lots of them.

Basically, what you want to do is eat lots of whole foods...unprocessed, high fiber, lower fat foods. The fats you use should come from plant sources (not coconut oil!) like olive oil. It's also best to avoid large quantities of animal products, like meat, cheese, butter, etc. You don't have to eliminate them, but try to lower your intake a bit. Organ meats from animals should be avoided, I think (brain, liver, etc).

The high fiber foods keep you full longer, as well as helping your body get rid of the cholesterol. Whole grain breads, oats, brown rice, beans, fresh fruits and veggies are all good sources of fiber. There are lots of others too.

Exercise is also a good way to lower your cholesterol levels, especially when combined with healthier eating. It doesn't even have to be super high intensive...just a daily walk can be enough.

Good luck!
Old 03-12-2003, 12:59 AM   #3  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Here's a couple of links with recommendations on types of foods that you can select to create your own meal plan.

I've finally lowered my cholesterol this year. Things I think really helped were 1) eating oatmeal or cooked whole grain cereal 3 times a week. Don't get the instant kind - too much sugar and salt - the kind you cook yourself is better. Add fruit, berries, cinnamon to make it more tasty. 2) I eat fish 3 meals a week, especially salmon. The Omega fats are good for lowering cholesterol. 3) you can eat eggs but toss those yolks out or use egg substitutes 4) finally regular aerobic exercise really makes a difference.

Since you're not sky high cholesterol, you can make some slight changes without too much pain. Good for you taking charge of things now.

Here's the links...
www.goodnewscholesterol.com

and from Ivillage a suggested diet plan
Old 03-12-2003, 12:02 PM   #4  

Default HEY HockeyChick!

Do you post at L&S too? I am SusieM over there.

Anyway- lots of good info already. My doc says BFL (Body for Life) is perfect for lowering cholesterol. I eat tons of veggies, whole grains and chicken, tuna, turkey. Do some intense cardio - not everyday - but 3 times a week at a high level is perfect.

How high is it, anyway?

Let me know how you're doing.
Closed Thread