3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Dieting with Obstacles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles-14/)
-   -   diabetes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/23924-diabetes.html)

BlackPowderTom 03-03-2003 01:40 PM

Sounds like you know what you are doing! Started Sugar busters about a month ago and it is working out real good. I do have a question, what kind on supplements do you take?

Niffer 03-07-2003 05:04 PM

SUPPS

I take chromium, vanadyl, C, E, glutamine (helps w/muscle soreness from working out), and an ACE inhibitor for kidney(?) function. I never get that one right - is it kidney or liver! LOL

I go in Monday for blood work - I'll get the results in a week.

merzoo 03-22-2003 05:04 PM

Re: hello

I've been on Glucovance for 2 years now and I've had no problems. At first I battled the feeling of low blood sugar but that subsided after a couple of months. I got a treadmill last month and have been walking 1-2 miles a day. I really haven't seen much weight loss but my bs has been better.

Quote:

Originally posted by Crazy4Homer
Geez, I just read this string of messages and it seems like we're all experiencing the same problems.

I'm a newly diagnosed diabetic, also type 2. I've been battling trying to keep my sugar up as well. I've found that I HAVE to have each snack between meals, hungry or not.

I take Glucovance...it's a combo drug of glyburide and metformin. Anyone have any experience with it?

I've been considering asking my Dr. if I can try and manage the diabetes without the pill. Any input??

merzoo 03-22-2003 05:12 PM

veggies

I saw a new doctor last week and she asked if I had seen a dietician or nutritionist before. I told her all they'll tell me is to eat a lot of green veggies and basically the only green veggies I like are cukes, green beans and salad. I don't like greens, broccoli, asparagus, peas.

Any advice for a diabetic veggie hater?

roundybean 03-23-2003 11:31 AM

veggies

I hate most veggies also. My dietician recommends going down the list of vegetables that I do like and working them in. I do like lettuce and cucumbers so I eat those almost everyday, sometimes twice a day. I also like starchy vegies, which I have to be careful not to eat too much of, like corn, peas and beans. But she advised sneaking in veggies like onions, mushrooms, bean sprouts, etc. into my recipes. I will eat these mixed in with other foods, just not alone. I also like to eat raw carrots. I dip them into a little low fat dressing. Hope this helps a little.

Niffer 03-24-2003 11:02 AM

Not a veggie hater

BUT, I do have a few questions. Please, I am not trying to be snide, or *****y. This may sound a bit harsh. (All qualifiers done, here goes) :D

Is your doctor telling you to eat more veggies because it will help your blood sugars, weight, overall health? If so, and you're not doing it - WHY are you not doing it? Is it just because you just don't "like" the taste? Just eat it. :lol: 'Tain't gonna kill ya!

I guess I don't understand cause I love fresh veggies. ALL kinds. But, if my doc tells me to do something cause it will help me LIVE longer - I'm doing it! Especially if it helps keep my off meds! Even if I don't 'like' it.

This is a devastating disease. It will KILL you if you do not take care of yourself. If you don't eat right, even if it's just a bit here and there, your BG will creep up and before you know it - you're taking more meds. You CAN contol it with your diet. You CAN get off meds - ALL OF THEM - by diet. I know. I did.

I am pretty passionate about this. :drill: :lol:

HEY Roundy! I hope you are doing well and your tests went OK!

Niff

roundybean 03-24-2003 12:55 PM

veggies

Hi Niffer,

My tests came out pretty good as far as the liver went. I do have an ulcer, but was told it was treatable. Thanks for asking. I was told by my dietician to eat more veggies because they are low in calories and help to fill you up. I've since joined Weight Watchers and have lost 22 lbs. I do try to work in as many veggies as possible. I just can't seem to get them down. I do eat a lot of the ones I like. I have gotten off of one of my meds and reduced one of them to a half once a day. However, I was on four of them so I haven't totally elimated all of them. But it was nice to reduce some of my meds.

Niffer 03-24-2003 06:48 PM

THAT is COOL

WOW - off most of your meds! I am impressed gurrrrl.:D Sometimes, those nasty meds are just as damaging as the diabetes.

dixiedarlin 05-22-2003 10:32 PM

Hi, I'm new here. Two months ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. I am not using insulin, but I am taking Glucophage XR. I have seen a diabetic educator and I am trying to follow a low carb diet (four carbs each meal and two carbs for a snack). My weight has been 350+ for about a year, but I have lost at least 14 lbs (according to my dr's scale which only goes to 350); my weight on my visit Mon 5/19 was 336.5. I work a weird shift, Mon thru Fri, 6PM to 2:30AM; I have a desk job. I have been walking but I live in Tennessee and the summer is going to be very hot and humid so sleeping until 11AM and then getting up to walk is not going to be an option. Any help/encouragement will be appreciated.

merzoo 05-23-2003 01:31 PM

I bought a used treadmill the end of February. I walk 20-40 minutes with a big ol' fan blowing at me to help keep me cool and some good music or the news on. I don't sweat much so I get overheated very easily. Ever since May hit though I've been sick off and on and haven't done much of my walking. I can't say I enjoy exercise but at least with the treadmill I can exercise in relative comfort.

dixiedarlin 05-23-2003 07:34 PM

I saw a treadmill once on one of the shopping channels; this treadmill used a flywheel instead of a motor and you could fold it up when not using it. I would like to find one like that; I really don't want a motorized treadmill because I don't want to have to worry about repairs and finding someplace that could fix it , you know?. I really don't want anything fancy, just something simple. Plus I like the idea of being able to fold it and put it under my bed since I don't have a lot of room at home. I also have one of the older stationary bikes (found at a yard sale for $15). I haven't used it in a while, mostly because it hurts my big butt :eek:. Thanks for the suggestion, and I hope you start feeling better soon.

foxylady 06-05-2003 08:19 PM

Hi Ladys, I too am new and just started WW doing it at home so any support would be a help , haven't had my first weigh-in
yet.....but i'm hoping it works for me .Yes I am Type II diabetic also, and playing a balancing act with my blood sugars and meds.....Don't know any way
around it myself except checking the
blood sugars throughout the day...My problem is the Diabeta I am on....the
glucophage I take twice a day but Glucophage alone isn't enough..I also take 2 shot a day .and it still run high if i don't watch every bite that goes in my month . I've had diebaties now 15 1/2 yeras .My mon family all ended up dying from heart ,or kidney problem from it . I already have bleeding behind one of my eyes . this stuff will kill you . and i'm not ready to go:lol: you all sound like a great bunch of ladys .i hope we can all become friends :wave:
Foxy Lady

dixiedarlin 06-06-2003 08:32 PM

Hey Foxy!!

I am a recently diagnosed Type 2 diabetic. I take two Glucophage daily and I am trying to control my BS with diet. I'm not exercising like I should. I work the night shift. So far the BS have been normal both before and after meals. I'm going to splurge a little tonight - ladies here at work brought food.

I also have a family history of diabetes on my mother's side - her mother was a diabetic and mama's sister was diabetic. Mama also had a cousin who lost both of her legs to diabetes.

I work in a pathology lab and have seen first hand what diabetes can do to your legs and feet. It really makes you think.

I hope to here from you soon. Hang in there.

foxylady 06-06-2003 09:51 PM

Hi dixiedarlin
your doing better than me at controll . My blood sugar was running in the 500 .that what scared me to get back on a diet so i pick weight watcher . that way i can have something i want if i just work it in my plan . I like that it healthy .I feel better already .and have lost 7 pouinds for the first week back . I did weight 299 a couple of years ago than got down to 180 but hit a block wall on losing and started goofing off and went back to 212 .i'm so glad to be headed back and the right direction again .:) It mean life to use to learn to controll or blood sugar I know you know that working where you do .Now we got to do it . I'm so sick of being sick . I want to look good but most of all i want to feel good to .
i'm hoping to learn and get support here as well as give support .we all need one other to make it in this world .
to ever one here a big hello .it will take me a while to know everyone .but i'm looking forward to it .:wave:

dixiedarlin 06-06-2003 11:06 PM

After the lasagna, pie, and lunch at a restaurant my BS after eating is 105. :)

Foxy - hope you have a great weekend; watch the carbs.

I don't have a computer at home, so u won't hear from me again until next week. See ya.