Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 04-05-2011, 10:18 PM   #1  

Default dieting on a budget

I need to lose 20 lbs, i am now 180lbs and 5'3 so i am considered obese. my doctor told me a yr ago i had pre diabetes. I try to walk outside when the weather is nice but not having any luck with that since its still cold and rain almost everyday, and ive had a cold,sinus infection and asthma for 5 months.
My biggset obstacle with trying to eat healthy, is #1 i only have a $20 a week budget for my daughter & I to make 6-7 dinners a week. this doesnt go far at the grocery store. Especially since all the food thats good for you is the most expensive! Also, the only fruits ans vegetable I like and will eat are corn, spinach, broccolli, watermelon, cantaloupe and avocados.
i need help trying to find something to cook besides pasta and chicken
any ideas or suggestions? thanks
alexa137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #2  
No description available.

Hi Alexa! Welcome to 3FC!

We have a subforum with lots of ideas for dieting on a budget:

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/shoestring-meals-235/

Also, depending on your daughter's age, you may be eligible for WIC to help with groceries.

Another idea is to check into a Community Supported Agriculture program. Sometimes they will give produce baskets in exchange for a couple of hours of volunteering.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:34 PM   #3  
Corporette diet

S/C/G: 135 / 103-106 / maintenance

Height: 5'3.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexa137 View Post
Also, the only fruits ans vegetable I like and will eat are corn, spinach, broccolli, watermelon, cantaloupe and avocados
It seems like that's your problem right there. Dieting only means eating smarter food... and less of it. You need to replace the pasta with veggies, chicken that has fat with lean (or cut out meat and use egg whites instead, which are cheaper than meat and lower in calories). A budget really is no problem. Tuna, beans, whole grain rice, etc are all exceptionally cheap, filling, and healthful. But "dieting" really only requires portion control... and that should save you money, not cost more.

If you're not willing to eat the right foods, though, the amount (of calorie-dense foods) you can eat will be much lower. There's no compromising on that.
lackadaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 11:50 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 134/126/under 124

Height: 5'2.5

I also like to challenge people when they say "the only vegetables I like are..." There are SO MANY ways to prepare vegetables and fruits to completely change the flavor and texture, or even hide them completely- you can roast them, cook them into pasta sauces, make them into soups, even sneak them into muffins and low-calorie desserts. Eating veggies straight, whether steamed or raw, is far from the only way to eat, and judge whether or not you like, them. If you are eligible for WIC or stamps, many farmers markets, where you can buy the most high quality fresh vegetables and fruits, accept these.

There are tons of resources out there for eating healthy on a budget. Livestrong has a bunch of them: http://www.livestrong.com/article/67733-eating-budget/. Good luck!
indiblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:54 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 140/ticker/120

Height: 5 feet 4 inches

I agree with lackadaisy...tuna, beans and brown rice are very nutritious and cheap. Frozen vegetables that are on sale will also go a long way and are easy to use when needed. Nothing ever goes to waste in my house. Any leftovers go right into a salad for me the next day! You may also qualify to get additional food supplies from a local pantry. Check the resources in the area. I work in the schools and refer families to several pantries that supply food items for those who qualify. Best of luck!
thelast20 is offline   Reply With Quote