Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #1  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Default Autoimmune Hive Issue

I have an autoimmune issue which involves my immune system over reacting and sending out a ton of extra fluid. This extra fluid collects in my joints and muscles and makes me sore and stiff all over. It also causes huge itchy hives which are also very painful to the touch.

My doctor usually puts me on steroids (prednisone ) which makes me gain huge amounts of weight. This time I'm refusing to go on the steroids and I was wondering if anyone around here has had success dealing with autoimmune hives in another way?
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 09:04 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI AUNTY ~ I used to get bad hives too, esp as a kid and teenager; sometimes, they were as big as an apple -- big round red blotches on my arms, legs, and stomach. I also get some of those itchy ones and they are often caused by things like wool, mohair, and different kinds of soaps and perfumes. They weren't sure what caused the big ones, but thought maybe stress or anxiety ...

Anyhow, hives are hives and no fun; so they gave me CHLORATRIPELON (sp) pills and they worked wonders for me -- always took the worst hives and itchies away. These are hard to find these days though and one that is close is BENADRYL allergy pills and they work OK too. You can also get a prescription for something similar too, but not sure what it is called.

One time I got a bad reaction to a sunburn; hives all over my back and man did that burn and itch like crazy -- the doctor gave me a strong prescription that took them right away. This may not be caused by the same thing, but they might work well enuff that you wouldn't have to take the steroids which I hear makes people so hungry that they overeat and then gain weight.

Hope you find something soon ...
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:56 PM   #3  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

While steroids work on the symptoms, the side effects are terrible, as you are learning. so good for you for looking at alternatives. Benedryl might help the hives, but learning what triggers you might be helpful too.
A rheumatologist might be helpful, and so might a good naturopath. The latter can be expensive as they are not covered, and also not regulated, so finding a good "fit" can be difficult. But many people with "odd" diseases find it as helpful and medical remedies, and often less toxic. Hope you find some help with it. What else are you on, like low dose aspirin? I know for lupus that is often helpful.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 11:54 AM   #4  
Gotta run!

S/C/G: 210/*ticker*/160

Height: 5'5

Thanks for your replies... I should have mentioned I'm on a daily doses of Reactine and Benadryl already. Other then that just some vitamine D.

This has been happening for 17 years now and we've searched for the cause several times with no answers Doctor tells me it could be any combination of things. I've given up on seeing a rheumatologist, he couldn't do much for me. I fit most symptoms of lupus but the blood tests always say no. Every doctor I've ever seen wants to put me on steroids. Lately I've been in so much pain I've felt like giving up.

I'd like to see a naturopath but I'm leary... and we really can't afford it right now.
Aunty Jam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #5  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

In rare cases, mine, I had hives for about 6 mos before I was figured out. I have high aniexty. High aniexty CAN cause hives. Once I was put on Buspar, end of hives.
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:55 AM   #6  

Height: 5'3

HI THERE!!!! I too have autoimmune hives confirmed by a positive anti-IgE receptor test. Your story sounds identical to mine! I started a treatment 10 days ago and have had no hives since. I'm close to coming off the pred completely and on only 1 zyrtec for seasonal allergies now. I have a cedar allergy and it's the season right now here. It's called xolair and has been a miracle for me but it's very hard to get. I'm able to because we're military so I can be seen at a military hospital. It's very expensive- 3-6 thousand a month. I have NO IDEA how things work in Canada though so I felt it was worth mentioning. It works by capturing IgE that would otherwise be attacking your mast cells.

Feel free to PM me to talk. I know how it feels when everyone else assumes you must be allergic to something...
Changed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 AM   #7  

hi,

have you tried making blood, poo, urine analyses on IgE, IgA, IgG and IgM?

Hive's is a common symptoms in people with elevated levels of IgE...

and to check it out is just a routine blood, poo and urine analysis, nothing "kinky" or invasive to our bodies.

Search about it in your preferred search engine

hope it helps.

Best of lucks
mosley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:22 AM   #8  
Age 53

S/C/G: 265/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

What finally controlled CIU for me was starting on prescription anti-histamines as the Pred was tapering off. If we waited to take the anti-histamines between doses of pred, they would come back.
caryesings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:16 AM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by caryesings View Post
What finally controlled CIU for me was starting on prescription anti-histamines as the Pred was tapering off. If we waited to take the anti-histamines between doses of pred, they would come back.
anti-histamines is the normally prescribed medicine for this issues.

Does it cure it? No. But it as is good effects... and the bad as any pills/syrup/spray... just read the paper that comes along with the remedy and you'll see it by yourself.

this as I stated in previous post is normally caused(or as its origins) by some kind of immunological abnormality.

And immunological abnormality's have there one treatment thats immunization or desensitization.

Other symptoms caused and/or associated with IgE, IgA, IgG and IgM will promptly disappear whit the Immunoglobulin right treatment.

And these "other symptoms" caused and/or associated with Ig(s) is as vast as your imagination.

Just make your searches in any search engine and find it all by yourself.

just a little sip about the subject for everyones knowledge: *ttp://pathmicro.med.sc.edu/ghaffar/hyper00.htm [i cant post links yet]

Cheers

Last edited by mosley; 02-23-2011 at 10:50 AM.
mosley is offline   Reply With Quote