Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-16-2010, 10:20 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/146/125

Height: 5'5"

Default TKR and Mobility Challenged: What do YOU do?

I am 34 and had bilateral knee replacements done a year and a half ago. I also have RA which has caused me issues just about everywhere but my back! I have had hand reconstruction, my elbows and wrists have limited ROM, and need reconstruction in both feet.

I do the stationary bike at the gym for about 30 minutes (treadmill is rough and the eliptical is impossible), some mat work, and some free weights ala Joyce Vedral.

For those in similar boats...I would love to hear your exercise routines!
Sani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 09:40 PM   #2  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI SANI ~ I am glad that you posted in our Physical Challenges thread; it is for anyone who has any kind of obstacles to deal with. I was born with Spina Bifida so I have trouble with bending or lifting, walking up hills, on a slant, in sand or snow (so now I use ski poles and they help me a lot), etc.

I also had some bad falls leaving me with a dislocated right knee (down a huge flight of stairs) and a fractured left calf causing a clot (slipped in some gravel in a parking lot). This caused me to have a lot of difficulty walking for a long time (years) as you can well imagine. I also injured both of my shoulders: one in a baseball game collision, and the worst one was from a repetitive motion injury. My right knee used to collapse all the time, but now only if I overdo it and walk or stand on it too much.

Now, what do I do? Upon waking, I do at least 30 minutes of toning exercises while laying on my bed; this makes it easier for me as with bad knees I can't put weight on them on the floor. Sometimes, I do some on the sofa too; but I also do a few CHAIR AEROBICS every day, esp while sitting at my PC. I can do some light housechores, as long as I spread them throughout the week and rest on a few days.

TONING EXERCISES: Lateral knee lifts with arms (knees up to chest and arms see-sawing in parallel motions); I used to do this with a rope exerciser which I lost in a move so now I just do it without it on the bed. That is my latest invention, but easy does it, if you have injuries; start slow and do only about 5-10 to start.

OTHERS ARE: thigh presses or butterflies; single knee lifts; butt squeezes; butt lifts; tummy tucks; whole body stretches; leg rolls (to meet each other flat on bed); etc. I started with 5-10 of each move; increasing with time. I also do more than one of each kind; esp in duration.

As I mentioned in our thread, I also use hand weights, stretchie bands, arm aerobics or RTM's (repetitive therapeutic movements), chair-situps, etc. Of all the helping machines, I find the Rowing Machine is the easiest for me, but I start out small and work my way up on that too.

The rest of the time, I just do plain old-fashioned WALKING ... when and as I can; I do some here at home each day, but about 3-4 times a week, we try to go out for a walk whether it be in a large department store or a favorite park or other place. I do have to be careful not to overdo it or I end up too sore and have to rest for 1-3 days; so it is better to leave a day in between to rest for me ... hope some of these ideas help you a bit! Rosebud
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote