Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:04 PM   #46  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

Very late for me to day to pop in so I will answer your post tomorrow Rosebud. Time has been thin on the ground it is because I have done the shopping today plus visited the hospital. So today just whizzed by in a flash. So as I have made this little post I will be going to bed to count sheep Not really I seldom have trouble sleeping these days.

I will fill you in tomorrow about the hospital visit and what the doctor said. The weather today has been very windy making it difficult for me on too fronts one due to the wind knocking me off balance and secondly needed to wrap up my face to stop any attacks occurring with TN.

Bye for now ladies and have a wonderful Friday

purpleorc
purpleorc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:59 PM   #47  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

HI PURPLE ~ I understand that you have had a very busy day, esp with going to the hospital for a consult, and doing some shopping while you are there too. As it was, you were up late making that post ...

We awoke to lovely weather again this morning, but clouds rolled in this afternoon and DH said it sprinkled out there a bit tonight -- that is supposed be the same for tomorrow, but the sun is supposed to be back for the weekend. We are really getting spoiled with all this lovely fall-like weather, but we are lovin' it too ...

We had a quick dinner tonight of super chicken dogs and I had a romaine salad with mine. I had a baked apple with cinnamon for my snack, and am having my evening tea too. DH is out there making himself a snack -- his usual of a toasted peanut butter sandwich.

I just had a lazy day at home, doing small stuff around here; wrote a letter to my brother and did some reading. Did some light cleaning as well (the washroom); and sorted socks and DH's dresser today -- boy, you can sure have a good laugh cleaning your hubby's dresser that's for sure. I may get at sorting those Christmas ornaments tomorrow and do some more mending, as I found many mates for his socks, but also found some more that needed repairs too!

I was just reading our local paper and noticed our neighbour (and former co-worker) and her DH have been married for 60 years this month. Wowie, that is a very long time; I ran into her at the store the other day -- next time I see her, I will have to congratulate her on her 60th anniversary!

Hope you all have a Fantastic Friday tomorrow; and do take good care of yourselves too ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-19-2009 at 11:17 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:03 PM   #48  

We spent the morning rearranging furniture and things are all arranged for Christmas now. We put my rocking chair back by the front window as I just love to sit there and watch the birdies flying back and forth; and it's just a great place for me to do some reading, writing, singing, contemplating, praying, and relaxing too.
vompaser134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 11:08 PM   #49  
Rosebud

Vompaser ~ you savin' my back posts? Yes, that is a favorite place for me to sit and enjoy that gorgeous sun. My furniture is all set, now I have to get at the inside decos ... the tree and the wall decos, etc. Wanna come over and help me?

BTW ... to our thread -- come back and tell us a bit more about yourself sometime. We'd love to have you join us here ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-19-2009 at 11:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #50  
MSer living healthy

Hi fellow chicks

Much brighter weather wise and the wind has calmed down somewhat today. Tomorrow we should be going round to friends for tea and to see a scooter for me at their home. It actually came from the father in law of their son whom passed away a few months ago so they are now looking to sell as they are in no need of it. Will let you know how it goes on the scooter front.

Yesterday as you know I went to hospital to see the doctor at the maxofacial unit at out local hospital. Firstly we had to battle the rush hour traffic due to the appointment being at 6pm of all times. We started off at good time so we had time for a coffee before the appointment to kill time. Managed to get a bit of walking in yesterday what with the shopping plus walking down those corridors at the hospital. The hospital has miles of corridors and it is so easy to get lost. I know way back when I was a student nurse even though this was not my hospital I did my nursing in this was Saxondale. I did get 2 placements here one to do 12 weeks on an acute admission with a mother and baby unit. Then 8 weeks on a general medical ward. This is the only stint you do in mental health nurse training in the sphere of general nursing. Student nurses who where new never got sent for important thinks as you inevitably got lost and had to ask several times. I know a fair amount of the hospital over the years but even still I am still learning. There are seven floors in all and it is made up of 5 squares interlinked up

I digress as normal back to the point in hand. Well went to the clinic which seemed like a ghost town after the normal hussle and bussle of a clinic. I was the only person in the waiting room with my DH. I was soon called in to see the doctor. She was a wonderful doctor so kind and caring. The nurse whom was assisting her was also like this a credit to the hospital both of the staff. They took a look at my xray which showed a bony spur on the site of the extraction. I asked her opinion what to do after she gave me several choices to choose from. Her opinion was to have the minor operation which is done under local anaesthetic the gum cut and the bone reshaped. It will require stitches but I know there is a risk of infection and that the procedure will not easy the pain. Those where the negatives they have to tell you about prior to under going the procedure so that you can make an informed decision. I am having the operation done on the 22 of December at 10am. So it will be a soft diet for me over christmas

Talking of food today I cooked what is known a barbecue chicken with vegetables and lentils. It is from a recipe that I adapted from this site from some kind person whom put up the recipe. Though their recipe used pork chops I used chicken thighs which I boned myself. I then added to the chicken as I fried it in a frying pan (skillet) with one clove of garlic. The frying pain was a non stick one so no oil or one cal spray needed. Just to save time today I cooked in a separate sauce pan a selection of vegetables. I also added a small portion of split lentils to bulk it out a bit. I cooked the vegetables and lentils until soft drained the water from them. I fried the chicken until it had a slight golden brown colour to it. In a small casserole dish I mixed I added one cup of tomato ketchup and 1 can of diet coke. Stir those two together then add chicken and vegetables. Cook in the oven for about an hour to hour and half at 150c or 300 -325f. You can season with pepper and salt but I find I do not require salt as I use very little in my cooking. I served with rice but a jacket potato is a good accompaniment.

VOMPASER to this thread nice to have you on board. It would be nice when you have a little time to stop by and tell us a little about yourself.

Has Rosebud as mentioned the rocking chair on the porch is a nice place for her to relax and unwind. I think it is for a lot of people who own a rocking chair they are so soothing and have a calming effect.

ROSEBUD Has promise I am back today with more time on my hand to answer your post. I was having trouble getting tired last night I think really I was over tired from the days events so took me a long while to get ready for bed. I slept beautifully last night and did not get up until after 9am.

Gosh the funeral was arranged quick for the priest of your DH. Normally here in the UK it can take well over a week often running nigh into a fortnight from the passing of the person. Wow it shows how much people thought of him with the amount of people in the congregation that there was standing room only. Like you said it is a kind blessing that he is no longer suffering and is now at peace. He sounded like a very special man whom was devoted to God but also had a vocation in teaching as well. He was a talented man whom will be sorely missed by many.

The bake apple with cinnamon sound like a health snack that sound very yummy to me. I love apple in any shape or form. There is not many days go by that I don't eat one either fresh or stewed. I find them filling and for the amount of calories they are great fillers.

Yes 60 years of marriage is surely a wonderful achievement. Not many people see their diamond anniversary. Has we both know being in a relationship requires work the path is not always smooth and it has its ups and downs. My DH and I have been together now for 11 years now no wait make that 12 the time flies. I am trying to figure how long my sister has been with her husband and it is either 19 or 20 years I can't quite remember. So many couples whom get married do not now work through the tough times they take the route of divorce. I am not saying that for some it is the best route due to the nature of the person for example if they maybe violent.

You talk of how building are just torn down because they can't find a buyer. Here in Nottingham some years back quite a lot of buildings which were old where pulled down. The council now regret their decision to take down some of these old building as they are the heritage of your city or town. Fortunately they stopped before too much was lost and now they are more conservative in there approach.

I try not to be judgemental of others but I worry for her future now that her son will be moving from home son either with education, work or relationship. I know that people live perfectly independently in a wheelchair so maybe my worries are unfounded. I have thought about it since and I wonder if she is in much pain and that for my neighbour the wheelchair will provide some relief from joint pain as mobility causes lots of pain. Has they say unless you are in walk in someone's shoes you really do not know what it is like. Like you say most people whom are overweight would like not to be that way and don't need reminding of that fact. Like you I have been along that road so hence I never mention or comment anything like that to her. It is her choice what she does with her life and what path she decides to take and no one else's.

No further news for now. So time to think about making some tea to put in the fridge for later. Until next time bye bye and take care.

purpleorc

Old 11-20-2009, 11:41 PM   #51  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ We spent the morning trying to decide where to put our Christmas tree; in the end, we decided to put it beside the piano this year, and it looks great there. That way I can keep my rocking chair by the front window to look out and see all the pretty lights, and my birdies, and any other activities goin' on out there ...

Then DH put the penny lights on the tree for me so I could decorate it. This evening, I went thru my ornaments and decided on a red & white theme this year; I try to change the colors or themes on my tree each year for variety. It looks pretty good, I think. Since I was on my feet so much today, I took a rest after for a couple of hours, and promptly nodded off.

DH went to help a neighbour put some poles along his laneway so the guy who clears the snow won't fall over the side of the hill like he did last year. They already had to put florescent pole markers in our laneway to mark out the neighbours property so they don't cut up their lawn -- there was a lot of damage done last year on both properties, so hopefully this will remedy that issue.

PURPLE ~ I recalled that you said that you had something wrong with your jaw, but I had forgotten that it was caused by having your tooth pulled. As you know, I had a tooth extracted at the beginning of the month, but it broke on him, so he had to drill the rest out (he was a young dentist); and today, some very small pieces came out (and that was 20 days ago).

The thing that concerns me is that I can still feel one slight edge on the outside: I sure hope that's not a bonespur, and pray that it goes away in time. I feel bad for you that you now have to have surgery (even if it is minor; you still have to have it). Gee, that is too bad they have to do that procedure just 3 days before Christmas. Will send up some prayers that all goes well and there is no infection.

Well, we had a bit of this afternoon, but it disappeared just before sunset. I saw a sliver of a moon out there tonight though, so it did clear up again. It is supposed to be nice and sunny for the weekend, so I hope those weather forecasters are right. We ended up having hamburglers for dinner tonight (I had chicken and DH had beef). A friend called tonight, and they are coming over for visit tomorrow afternoon.

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend and do take good care of yourselves too ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-20-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Old 11-21-2009, 12:01 AM   #52  
Rosebud

OH, and I wanted to tell you about my baked apples -- I wash a MacIntosh apple (they are a Canadian variety that are sweet-tart) and cut it into chunks then put it into a glass dish. Then I sprinkle it with a bit of cinnamon and 1 tsp of the Splenda brown sugar mix, but you can use whatever you want to sweeten it with. I put it in my microwave for 1.5 minutes. It comes out semi-cooked but it tastes lovely ... kinda makes a great mock apple pie really. I love it so much that I have it almost daily now.

Another favorite snack I shared with some ladies recently is that I really love peanut butter, but I wanted to avoid always having to put it on bread (although sometimes I will put it on one slice if I am really hungry; and you can get WW--Weight Watcher's wg--whole grain bread for only 50 calories a slice).

Anyways, I cut up some BABY CARROTS into 4-6 sticks; and dip them in some ALL-NATURAL Peanut Butter (which has no salt, no sugar, and no additives so it must be kept in the fridge). I was surprised how good the carrots taste with the peanut butter. I have about 12-16 carrots sticks with 1 tbl peanut butter on a little dish. This has become another favorite low-calorie snack for me that I love to have now.
Old 11-21-2009, 08:32 PM   #53  
MSer living healthy

Hi Ladies

I realised this late that I have not popped on today as I have been busy. I have been out to the shops briefly then went to friends for tea. Then we played our inevitable game of card and something called Rummicubs (not really sure of the spelling.) It is like playing a version of playing cards rummy though this is played with tiles. It sure does make you think, I am not very good at this game as you have to be very canny with finding ways to get rid of tiles by splits already laid tiles. Normally I come last at this game but I don't mind I just love playing anything.

After the version of rummy we moved on to a game called Spades which we play in pairs. Tonight it was ladies V gents but we swap on other nights. Tonight our host was "baby sitting" her 2 year old grandson. Though he was no trouble he ate his meal with us and went to bed no trouble. We never heard a peep out of him. So he is a good little lad and he eats well which surprised me as we were eating foreign food. It was a chinese food cooked by our host which was beautiful to say the least.

I have bought the scooter so watch out it is going to take some practise at steering and driving it but I am sure I will get there in the end. Just nervous at the minute. I have a bonus it can be change colours either red or blue. It has all the paper work and receipt (original). It even has a rain mac that goes with it should the weather turn bad.

ROSEBUD. Your Christmas tree sound beautiful. No wonder you where tired after all the decorating not to mention housework etc which always is calling.

Thanks for the recipe for the baked apples. I had never heard to the variety of apple it does not appear to have come over the pond as far as I know. It sounds like it lends itself well to baking.

Healthy snacks are a must and ones like the peanut butter/carrots are ideal. I often reach for pieces of fruit or crackers with peanut butter. My peanut butter is no added sugar or preservatives. You pay that bit more for it but worth it. It is also nice when making smoothies or milk shake to put a teaspoon of peanut butter in. I like the one with milk, peanut butter, natural yoghurt (zero fat) or low fat greek yoghurt (sometimes I can get hold of fat free), cocoa powder and banana. I love the taste of the chocolate, peanut and banana together.

Thanks for the prayers and well wishes for my forth coming operation. It looks like I will be choosing food at christmas that is soft. So mashed potato, swede, cauliflower etc all lend themselves to being a good soft diet. Good job I make a soup from the carcass. This year it will be extra special for me as I know it will fit the bill with a sore mouth. I really do hope that your sharp edge goes that you are experiencing also. I know what has happened to me is a rare occurrence so lets hope that it is the extraction just is settling down from the trauma caused from the tooth being removed.

Well I really must go to bed it is so late here but I took my tablets late with being out for the evening and this is the result wake at 1.30am !

Night night ladies and catch you soon

purpleorc
Old 11-21-2009, 09:50 PM   #54  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ We had a nice day today; we didn't quite get the weather that was predicted, but the did peak out a bit this afternoon. I put on the last of my ornaments on our Christmas tree last night and this AM; now all we have to do is the wall decos and that won't take long. We had company for the afternoon: we had a very nice visit with some friends.

HI PURPLE ~ yes, that was late for you; but I have been there where I just can't sleep or I just lose track of the time. I had a night like that last night and my hormones and/or sugars were really acting up; I finally fell asleep again about 3 am, so I stayed in bed til 9 am this morning.

Those games sound interesting; some of our friends like games but some don't. The ones that came today, just like to have coffee and cake (DH picked up a lemon coffee cake) and chat. We only have treats like that when guests come now. I don't bake stuff like that anymore, so we have to pick it up and DH gets to eat the leftovers which makes him happy.

Glad you liked my snack ideas -- sometimes, I do bake the apples in the oven, when I am baking a roast or chicken. The rest of the time, I use the microwave instead. You can use any sweet-tart apple that you like. That smoothie does sound yummy and easy to make; will have to try that one for sure.

After a busy day, I put my legs up until suppertime. Had fish & baked homefries for dinner (I had sweet potato ones and DH had the regular); plus I had a romaine salad with mine. Got some exercise in this AM, and ate well today (kudos for that).

Time for my evening tea. Hope you all have a restful Sunday tomorrow; and do take good care too ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-21-2009 at 09:54 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:28 PM   #55  
MSer living healthy

Hi fellow chicks

It is bitterly cold here today with outbursts of rain. All in all a good November day one you are glad to stay indoors and wrap up warm.

I went for my first ride on my scooter today and lived to tell the tale It seemed strange at first but I am sure the more I practice it will become second nature. DH and I went out for a walk that would have been out of limits for my walking. It was really nice to get out that far once again and not be in a car. You do not realise how much you give up gradually as you can't do it and your world because smaller as such. The car is a god send but I also think that the scooter is that too. No longer will I be too tired and exhausted to go that far I can manage it. I had to wrap up warm as it was a cold day but it sure was worth it and I loved every minute of it.

ROSEBUD
yeah for you for the exercise and being on plan That's the way to do it slowly, slowly does it we know who won between the tortoise and the hare I think doing it slowly it so much better and more likely the weight will stop off as you have done it gradually. Not that it isn't a balancing act I am sure once you get to your target weight. We will always have to be on our guard so that we do not stray too far from the straight and narrow.

I have only ever baked my apples in the oven so it is nice to know that I can make a microwave version in a fraction of the time if I do not have the oven already on. Just in the middle of preparing chicken thigh casserole. I have popped the chicken breast in some chopped tomatoes, herbs and bay leave to marinade for a couple of hours. I will then cook it in the slow cooker over night. I am going to serve it with, leeks, broccoli, brussel sprouts and cauliflower. So lots of vegetables to eke out the casserole and make it go that bit further.

I certainly will be going to be a lot earlier tonight that gone 1.30am. There are very odd nights where I seem to get over tired or forget to take my medication till late. It takes nigh on 3 hours to work these days. Gone are the times when within a hour I was ready for my bed. Though I stay up and do something on my PC or read my book.

I hope VAL, SPICY and RONNI are all well and I know that things can get very busy or hectic for you. Not to mention feeling under the weather due to SAD. Time for me to start making tracks towards the kitchen and making some sandwiches for tea. Bye for now and take care fellow chicks

purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 11-23-2009 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #56  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ We had a gorgeous day of all day. It was too nice to stay indoors, so we went for a drive this afternoon first to look at some cottages that were for sale (just for fun); and then we went to a lovely place where a great and mighty river has
some pretty rapids and I took some lovely pictures as well.

Then we came home to a lovely roasted Chicken and veggie dinner that was baking while we were away; and it was delicious and healthy too. It was perfect way to relax on a Sunday!

PURPLE ~ I am so happy for you that you were able to get that scooter and that you had such a wonderful time going out for an extended ride/walk with your DH. I bet the next time you go to the mall you will be zooming around there like a bandit ... Sounds like it is going to be worth every penny (I mean dollar)!

We awoke to really heavy frost on the ground and it was chilly, but the came out and melted it for us. We usually have snow on the ground at this time of year, so I guess Jack Frost thought he'd take its place. We had lots of birdies here first thing this AM -- Rock Doves, Mourning Doves, swallows, chickadees, and woodpeckers (may have been different ones or the same came back twice?) ...

Had to soak my leg tonight so the scab could come off, but it actually looks a bit better underneath this time. I am having my tea as I am posting, but then I must put my legs up to help get the water out. We had a busy day so I was on them a lot.

Hope you all have a marvellous Monday; and do take good care of yourselves too ... ROSEBUD
Old 11-22-2009, 10:43 PM   #57  
Rosebud

Yes, I do hope that VAL way up in Thompson, and SPICY, from way down south are both doing well. We do miss hearing from you two ladies!

I did hear from RONNI in our CE's thread: she has been busy with her boys, but is battling her MS symptoms too (esp fatigue) these days. Your all are so brave, and I keep you in my prayers for comfort and strength each day ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-22-2009 at 10:44 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #58  
MSer living healthy

Hi chickadees

It has been horrid weather wise here today with lots of rain very dreary day. Although I we are fortunate it as several parts of the UK have been flooded or are on flood alert.

We have had chicken caserole for dinner today with vegetables which was very nice Later for tea we had a small stuffed pepper again that hit the mark food wise. We are having ostrich burgers for dinner tomorrow when we return from the MS centre. So an easy meal to knock up when my time is limited.

Sorry to hear the Ronni is having tough time of it with her MS symptoms. It can be so restricting to your life when they hit. I hope that you start to feel better soon. All you can do in the mean time is take as much rest and sleep as you can.

ROSEBUD It is nice to go window shopping for fun like you do with the cottages. It is nice to dream once in a while what you would do if you had the money. Sounds like you had a beautiful day taking in some stunning scenery that you have in Canada which is truely breath taking.

Yes roast chicken is a perfect choice for Sunday lunch and it fits well into our healthy eating plan. I eat a lot of chicken and turkey plus I have found ostrich which is lower in fat than either of the chicken or turkey. I hear that buffalo is also a great low fat alternative if you can purchase it. At present I can't buy that I am not saying that it is impossible but it is not on sale at the large super markets or farmers market.

Sure right worth every penny the scooter for the freedom it will give me. I can now join in actives such as walking the dog which had now become out of my range.

Glad your leg ulcer is slowly making improvement. I know it is going to be a long haul getting it better but I am sure it is going to be worth it in the end.

No further news from me just going to go and make some sandwiches for tomorrow to take to the MS centre. Then I am all set I think for tomorrow apart from popping in my reading book into a bag I take with us. Then I think I am all set. Bye for now and take care.

purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 11-23-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:56 PM   #59  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ We just had a quiet day at home today; as we had quite a busy weekend so I decided to take today as a complete rest day instead. We had our leftover roasted chicken and veggies with a brown rice mix for dinner tonight; and it was lovely too.

PURPLE ~ Yes, my skin ulcer looks much better this time and I am so thankful; I have noticed that the skin coloration is so much better now too. I am trying so hard to eat healthy; keep my sugars in line; and get proper exercises for my legs; and we can definately see improvement now, so it is paying off. As you know (as a nurse) these things take a long time to heal up.

My friend who was here on the weekend had one too and it took over 2 years for hers to heal up properly; then this year, she got another small one, but thankfully it wasn't as bad as the first one. I also had a small one on my left leg, but thankfully, it has healed up well for me too. It is so strange, they just get started by a small scratch or scrape; it is so weird. Years ago, that would have healed up right away, now it takes longer. I sure hope and pray that with my better eating and lifestyle (and losing weight), that this will reverse itself completely.

When I get all my pictures downloaded and resized, I will post some for you all to see; it just takes a bit of time to do though. I don't know any place around here to get bison or ostrich burgers though I would have like to try them; but we live in a very small town (possibly in the city, one might be able to find them). Right now, DH has beef and I have been having chicken burgers; I think I have a box of turkey ones in the freezer if I recall correctly.

Hope you all have a TERRIFIC TUESDAY TOMORROW; and do take good care of yourselves as well ...
ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 11-23-2009 at 09:59 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:32 PM   #60  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ We are starting to feel the cold here, but we still don't have any ***** yet though. Made a nice pot of chicken & dumpling & veggie soup for lunch today: just the right thing for DH who has a cold and for me, for good healthy eating. I hope I don't have that cold/flu; was a bit tired today and minor symptoms but hopefully I will be able to battle that off!

DH went to visit his sister and BIL to see how BIL was doing as they last 2-3 times we/he went by they were not home. They told him that the health unit was offering another H1N1 clinic today, so he decided to go over and check it out. They said that he qualified today becuz of his age, and so he decided to get it. Then they told him that his joints would be sore for few days and to take it easy.

I just had a quiet day at home while DH ran errands for us and picked up a few things at the grocer to carry us thru the week too. He actually likes to do that becuz it gives him something different to do. I like that becuz then I can get things done here at home like making that homemade soup for lunch. We just had a simple comfort dinner tonight; nothing special, but still within my plan.

Hope you all have a WONDERFUL WEDNESDAY tomorrow; and do take good care of yourselves too ... ROSEBUD