Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2002, 04:49 PM   #1  
wsw

Default anyone with MS?

Hi, I am new to this message board. I was wondering if there is anyone who has MS and is also struggling with trying to lose a lot of weight. I am 100 lbs. overweight and have been having trouble getting myself in gear to lose this large amount of weight. As a result of the MS, I walk with a cane and use a wheelchair some times. I also have spinal cord damage and will need spinal fusion surgery some time in the not distant- enough- for- me future. I have lost weight in the past, but I am really struggling now and could certainly use some support and would be happy to offer and give mine. Thanks a lot for listening! Take care.

wsw
Old 06-19-2002, 02:45 AM   #2  

Default from ak rosey

Hey wsw..have not heard from you in awhile..hope that you are ok..i am still hanging in there..have not lost any more but feel good..its the exercise thing that i need to tackle..how goes it for you????talk soon rosey
Old 06-19-2002, 06:04 PM   #3  
wsw

Hi ak rosey

I have not been feeling well and it's hard for me to sit at the computer for any length of time. I haven't really been able to do any exercising for the past week and a half, because my back has been bothering me a lot. That's why I haven't been able to post much lately. I appreciate your asking--thanks! I hope you're doing well. Take care.

wsw
Old 06-19-2002, 07:17 PM   #4  

Default from ak rosey

Hey wsw...am so sorry you are in pain..just hang in there and do what you can do..i a thinking of you and post when you can..talk soon rosey
Old 06-20-2002, 03:09 PM   #5  
DH's Bright & Shiny!

Default Hi there...

I'm in the process of getting a diagnosis, although I've been really lucky so far. I have a great GP who is taking me seriously, and it only took five weeks to get in with a neurologist, and I have an MRI scheduled already for August 18.

But the whole thing is pretty scary, it's just been moving so fast! I only noticed a problem with my legs on Easter Long Weekend, and already they're installing handrails in my house hallway, because I'm wobbly and in pain all the time.

The docs say that I shouldn't start any kind of excercise program until they figure out what the problem is, but they said it would be OK to start a weight loss program as long as it didn't introduce supplements or drugs or meal replacements. I also have PCOS, and have had for years, which just makes it harder to lose the weight, and they want to wait on treating that properly with meds for the first time until they figure out whether or not I have MS.

In the meantime, I'm still working full-time (at a new job, mind you, so I have to wait out another four months probationary period before any benefits kick in), joined Weight Watchers (my meeting leader is an excercise maniac, and I can't tell her why I can't excercise because it's through the new job), and trying to keep a smile on my face while everyone else in the group gets star after star after award upon award while I sit stuck at 4.4 lbs lost, and they ask me if I'll come "mall-walking" with them (read: power-marching in PAIN) so I can help the group reach the team goal so we all get 50% off the next round of meetings. If I get one more "I Did It" sticker for drinking all that stupid water or just showing up when discouraged, or even writing down what I ate (although the leader lady has recently implied that that can't be "all" I'm eating, or I would be losing more by now) I am going to go a little postal in that boardroom one lunch-hour.

HELP!?!?!
Old 06-20-2002, 07:41 PM   #6  
wsw

Default hi ak rosey!

Hi rosey!

I am feeling a bit better today. Thanks for all your support and kind words. I really do appreciate it. I hope you had a good day. I've been doing o.k. with my food plan but some days seem harder than others. The worse I feel physically, the more I seem to want to dive into some food. So far, so good, though. I haven't been acting on those feelings recently, anyhow.

best wishes,
wsw
Old 06-20-2002, 08:01 PM   #7  
wsw

Default hi nickbeth!

I am glad to hear you have a GP who has been listening to you. They are all too rare. I sure understand about it feeling scary while they are trying to diagnose what's going on. I remember being told that the symptoms of MS can be similar to quite a few other things, so at least it's not automatic yet, anyway. If it does turn out that you have MS, there is a lot of support out there. Please feel free to ask me any questions and I will gladly answer, if I am able. I'm sorry to hear you're having so much pain in your legs and wobbliness (not sure if that's a real word. oh well!)
Being at a new job and having to wait out that probationary period plus waiting on a possible diagnosis of MS, plus having symptoms is an awful lot to deal with at once! I sympathize with you!
This is the first time I've had trouble losing weight when I've really been making an effort, so I sympathize on that score also. I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 7 months ago and am on hormone replacement therapy. I am on Weight Watchers and am sticking to the points, and my weight loss is very slow, and it's driving me nuts. I do have the luxury of being able to say that I have MS, at least, at meetings, and can only imagine how frustrating it must be not to be able to say why exercise can be challenging right now.
This is all a long way of saying that I understand how scary and challenging a time this may be for you. I wish you all the best and if I can be of any support for you, I am here! Take care.

wsw
Old 06-21-2002, 12:43 PM   #8  
DH's Bright & Shiny!

Default Thanks wsw

I was feeling really overwhelmed yesterday, after the meeting where I thought I was doing pretty well, and I hadn't lost one lousy ounce. Thanks for the kind words, I think at this point I've probably had all the "education" I can stand until I know what I'm dealing with one way or another. Probably just needed to vent on someone NOT my husband (poor man, he's really had it rough with me lately)!
Old 07-02-2002, 06:46 PM   #9  
wsw

I have been on WW now for around 5 weeks and still have only lost a few pounds, while sticking to my appropriate points, drinking the water, etc. I have been feeling frustrated by not losing faster, but I am trying to remember that as long as a I keep plugging away doing the right things, my weight will keep going down, even if it's not at the speed with which I would like. I also realize that because of the extreme fatigue caused by ms, I tend to want to use that as an excuse to eat more, thinking it will make me feel better. Yeah, right!! I also had a total abdominal hysterectomy 7 months ago and have been on estrogen replacement since then. I have never lost weight this slowly in the past, especially when genuinely trying as a I am now and so it is frustrating me. I also know that at 49, not being able to move as much as I would like ( or was able to pre-MS), I need to be more patient with myself and keep hanging in there, which I intend to do! I was wondering if there is anyone who is going through anything similar, I'd love to hear from you. Take care.

wsw
Old 07-02-2002, 09:17 PM   #10  

Default from ak rosey

Hey wsw..do not get discouraged..i didnot loose for 2 weeks..but kept at it as best i could..and finally lost 3 #s this week..must have been chasing after my grandkids who were here for a week..anyways i aviod exercise becuz it hurts to move alot..esp..my feet..so even tho i know what to do i dont always do it..the moving around with the kids this week proved that i need to exercise..but it is so hard for me and as by what you write for you too.. so lets not beat ourselves up over this and do what wecan..i know we can do it even if we loose slower we are still on the right path and should be proud of our acomplishments..hang in there it will work.. if you need a pep talk i am here for you along with alot of others..thinking of you talk soon..rosey
Old 07-24-2002, 08:10 AM   #11  

Hi, I am new to all this. I am currently in "possible early-stage ms", my MRI shows a small lesion, but all other tests are normal so far. I am about 70lbs overweight and have been told by doctors that I have to exercise more. Problem is, with the tingling and heaviness I feel in my legs, exercise can be a problem. I have been trying to walk more and so far have lost about 6 lbs since July 8. Looking for support and possible new friends.
Old 07-24-2002, 09:38 AM   #12  
wsw

hi ctdaydreamer! welcome!

hopefully, your possible ms diagnosis will not turn out to be ms after all. if it does turn out to be ms, though, please be assured at least that there is a lot of good support and info. out there on ms. i'm sure this must be a very difficult and uncertain time for you. please feel free to let me know if i can help in any way with support, answer questions, etc.

congrats on your weight loss! that's great! i have found this message board is very supportive and encouraging. i wish you all the best on your weight loss journey. are you on any specific diet?

i definitely understand about exercising being challenging when you experience leg tingling and heaviness. i also walk (albeit ,with a cane) and do some yoga exercises, along with a "chair dancing" tape. i'm also doing leg exercises now, which i've learned from physical therapy for my back problem (not due to ms.)

well, take care, and please let us know how you're doing. hope to hear from you. take care.

wsw
Old 07-25-2002, 07:31 AM   #13  

Hi wsw,

Thank you for the welcome. As far as the ms diagnoses, I had an MRI in January which showed a small lesion. My LP and nerve conduction tests have all come back normal. Have to go again Jan. '03 for another MRI to see if any changes. I am hoping to continue checking in here, I feel better that there are others that understand what I am going thru. My diet is low carb/low fat. Always had problems w/carbs (love 'em, but they hate me). What is "chair dancing"? Will keep in touch. Thnx again.
Old 07-25-2002, 12:23 PM   #14  
wsw

hi and hope your day is going well. the "chair dancing" videotape i use has exercises for the upper body. it's for people who are in wheelchairs mostly, but there are also some exercises for legs which can be done while seated rather than having to be upright. it's actually a pretty good 45 mn. workout. i am starting to think about a more low carb/low fat diet just to see if it may speed up my weight loss a bit more. i'm still losing on ww, but it is so slow for me that i get impatient at times. well, take care. all the best.

wsw
Old 07-25-2002, 06:09 PM   #15  

Hello again, I have done low carb diets a couple of times, each time I have had very good luck with them. The first 2 weeks are the toughest, the carb cravings can really make me irritable! Once I get past this point the sweet cravings to right away and energy levels go up. I am eating more carbs now than I usually would on my own low-carb diet, but the dietician says I need to keep my meals balanced. I would like to try swimming a bit more often for exercise, as I went to Maine for the 4th and swam everyday without pain. Thank you for keeping in touch.
Closed Thread