Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 220/208/165

Height: 5'4"

Default Question about Hypothyroidism

Hi, I'm new here... I think I may have an under active thyroid, and I have a doc's appointment in a couple weeks for it... but I have a question... cause it was about 3 1/2 yrs ago that things up and changed radically with my health.. I gained 40 lbs in 2 months! I dont have nearly the energy i used to, my mood swings are horrible.....

But on top of this..... my menstrual cycle is out of whack as well... where it used to be a nice steady flow over the course of 5-6 days....... now its super heavy and only lasts 48 hrs...... I also have alot of new hair growth in places that it wasnt before...... can thyroid issues cause this too?
Azbstsgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:47 PM   #2  
Getting healthy again!!

S/C/G: 204/199/140

Height: 5'2.5"

I was recently diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I have all that and my doctor said its all likely caused by my thyroid. I gained 60lbs in one month. I don't have energy, my moods change frequently. Also have very irregular menstrual cycles. Hair growth or loss,especially growth in areas like the face, belly and back can also be caused by thyroid problems.

Your best bet is of course exactly what you are doing. Going to the doctor, however be aware that there is a lot of under treatment for hypothyroidism because the "norms" are actually not really normal. I took me 5 years to find a doctor to test, let alone treat for my problems. Stay persistent, until you know whats wrong.

I am being treated now with medications.

My problems all started after being over medicated for depression issues. About 6 years ago.

Last edited by Cebsme; 05-30-2009 at 09:48 PM.
Cebsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #3  

Thank you..... yes I deal with depression as well........ and the hair thing has been freaking me out...... I have so much facial hair if I let it grow out I have a goatee! its horrible...... thanks again
Old 05-30-2009, 10:02 PM   #4  
Getting healthy again!!

I get the facial hair real bad. She also had me checked for signs of Polycystic Ovaries, including an ultrasound which I am waiting for the results of. PCOS can cause the weight gain, facial hair, mood swings, depression, infertility, irregular and painful menses.

My doctor and mines thinking is that its both the thyroid and PCOS.

Last edited by Cebsme; 05-30-2009 at 10:03 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:57 PM   #5  

Yeah that's run across my mind as well..... a friend of mine has that
Old 05-31-2009, 07:50 PM   #6  

Doesn't sound like hypothyroid - hair loss is associated with that. You need to see your doctor. PCOS is more likely. Good luck!
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #7  

no I have had periods of hairloss......... especially when I initially gained the weight....... I lost alot of hair on my head, but then afterwards it sprang up on my face, and back.. weird
Old 06-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #8  
Getting healthy again!!

Will make a point that not everyone with hypothyroidism and not everyone with PCOS has the same symptoms. And its especially annoying if you have both.

Only place I every really lost hair was my arms and my eyebrows, but I got facial hair and hairs on my tummy.

Everyones body is different and reacts to different things, differently. My doctor has a patient with a much worse hypothyroid problem than me who is a hair model for shampoo commercials.
Old 06-01-2009, 11:53 PM   #9  

S/C/G: HW193/See Ticker/128

Height: 5'5"

Hypo and PCOS are commonly seen together. There is a test for Hirtsutism they can do. I had it done and it was normal. So it was only my thyroid all along.

Luckily, both of these things can be treated with a good doctor. Both thyroid meds and Metformin have done wonders for others with these two illnesses.

My cycles were probably the wackiest I have ever heard with thyroid. I bled for 11 months straight even while on Synthroid and it stopped when I added in Armour. I became seriously anemic in the process, so watch out for that when you have bouts of heavy bleeding. That can make you feel like crud also.

Good luck
Niecy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 03:17 AM   #10  

I think thyroid issues cause it.
sindy9001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 11:46 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

Azbstsgrl - please check out the thyroid info at
www.stopthethyroidmadness.com
and at www.thyroid.about.com

the info there might be of great help to you.

take care,
cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

just want to mention of anyone here is having trouble finding your natural thyroid med, like Armour Thyroid, Naturethroid or Westhroid, please check out the info at www.savenaturalthyroid.com

or also all the good discussion at the facebook page by the same name. or holler at me.

hugs,
Cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote