Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:55 PM   #1  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Question Heart Health Support:

I didn't see a support group for this, I was wondering if anyone else is on a heart healthy diet. I also have hypothyroidism and digestive issues. I am following a heart healthy diet, and just would like some support from like minded.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:04 PM   #2  
GlenwoodHotSprings

S/C/G: 275/179/179

Height: 5'5"

Hi Ryanne,

I'm following South Beach which I would consider to be a heart healthy diet...and as to the word "diet" I prefer to call it a change in my WOL.

I lost alot of weight on my own, but in the 4 months since starting SB, I have discontinued my blood pressure meds. I believe whole grains, lean meats, vegies and fruits are my ticket to heart health. I don't eat anything with corn syrup, white sugar or flour.

If you ever have any questions or would like to chat, feel free to PM me. What type of nutrition are you incorporating into your weight loss plan?
Lexxiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #3  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I, like Lexiss, am on South Beach diet. Dr. Agatston, who created the way of eating, is a cardiologist and found that this way of eating helped his patients lose weight and improve their lipid profiles. My cholesterol dropped 30 points after only 6 months of SB eating. I don't have thyroid or digestive issues, so can't help you with that. Whole grains, no white flour or added sugars, lots of fruit, veggies and lean protein as well as healthy nuts and fat servings is the way to go for me.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 09:48 PM   #4  
Believe!

S/C/G: 231/201/131

Height: 5'2"

Default Thanks for responding:

Basically I am eating the way the Dr. advised me to. I eat 4+ servings of vegies per day, 3+ servings of fruit, 5 Monounsaturated fats, 3 Lean Meats ( I don't eat red meat, just antibiotic and hormone free poultry, no skin or fat, nothing fried),and I also eat some types of fish. I have 3 servings of fat free organic dairy, I have 4-8 servings of complex carbohydrates...Mostly whole grain) I also watch the sodium and sugar content in foods. I watch saturated fat contents as well. I use Stevia, I don't drink coffee, but I do drink decaffeinated Green Tea. I don't eat any junk foods or processed meats and eat mostly organic. (I consider myself a vegetarian, although I do eat poultry, fish and dairy, but as someone here stated I am not a vegetarian...I guess I am just me.) I exercise, usually walking and I do push ups, sit ups and squats. The push ups for my arm strength, walking for heart and digestion, and so many other benefits, and the sit ups and squats for my digestive health. I take a multivitamin daily, and I also take probiotics daily, and will be starting on digestive enzymes this week. I am on medication for hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, high triglycerides and cholesterol and I also take allergy medicines. I am on Lexapro for anxiety disorder/post traumatic stress syndrome.
I think it's more of a Mediterranean diet way of eating. I also do not diet as this has been my lifestyle for a while and will continue to be. Just would like some support from likeminded people, as I cannot focus on weightloss, but focus on being healthier. Sometimes I wish I could lose the weight faster, but need to stay focused on the reasons I do what I do. The way I eat isn't really an issue, and neither is exercise most days, but some days I need a kick in the pants to make sure I do exercise for my health. Sometimes, I get frustrated that the pounds and fat don't come off faster, and I don't need to get stressed about that.
I am glad to see you got off your meds as that is a huge goal for me.

Last edited by Ryanne; 08-30-2009 at 09:51 PM.
Ryanne is offline   Reply With Quote