3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Dieting with Obstacles (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles-14/)
-   -   PHYSICAL CHALLENGES ~ August (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dieting-obstacles/178091-physical-challenges-%7E-august.html)

valpal23 08-22-2009 07:37 AM

good morning ladies! lots to report!

my trip to Minnesota was amazing. it was so good to take a week off. Thompson actually went through it's first boil water advisory the day I left, which was lifted the day I returned -- basically my boss was happy to have me back and realized how important my position is. it was very nice!

I stayed with my best friend Renee near minneapolis -- and the second day I was there, her brother totalled her car and had to be removed with the jaws of life so we spent the day in a trauma ward (american hospitals are so pretty!) and fortunatly her brother was discharged the next day with no issues.

Renee and I got to go canoeing on the lake by her home, and I was able to run regularly. Brent and I also got a chance to meet up on my way down south through winnipeg -- we fit three dates in total and are doing the long distance relationship right now. He's pretty cool :)

I'm going into work today to get some things finished -- Rosebud I hope your exzema has cleared up. A coworker of mine has exzema and she recently noticed that when she gets a common cold, flu or virus --- it dies down. I've been trying to convince this friend to consider her health more holistically, because I truely believe the emotional stress in her life is making her more sick!

I have tolerated two full doses of Rebif, twice the amount I had previously taken. I've had to take more advil and still woken up with chills and nausea six hours later -- but nothing worse :) Purple my hair always looks like a scarecrow -- fortunatly Brent shaves his head so it doesnt take much to impress the guy. ha ha.

:wave: meowee, liz, ronni and everyone else! happy weekend :D

take care,
Val

purpleorc 08-22-2009 03:52 PM

Hello ladies

Well just a swift drop by, been busy through the day what with cooking and supervising the gardening ;) On going onto my PC things have not got any better can't retrieve emails now and search causes unexplained crashes. So I have taken the decision regrettably to reformat my PC. So will not be on maybe for the next 24 hours or so until things are sorted. PC's are wonderful but they can be a pain in the you know what :D

After a day in the garden the fresh air has made me tired so I do not think I will be too late to bed to be honest. I will answer personal posts as soon as I am able I am too tired now to do my usual chatty posts that I enjoy to do.

So I will bid you all good evening and hope your having a fabulous start to the weekend. Till next time take care and look after yourselves

:wave:purpleorc :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy 08-23-2009 12:10 AM

:wave: HI LADIES ~ we have had another long, tiring and busy day today as well; but we got lots accomplished. We slept in just a bit as we were so tired. Then we had to hook our utility trailer up to go pick up our garden shed which came in; and oh boy, was that thing heavy -- they had such a time putting it on the trailer.

Then we brought the trailer home and unhooked that so we could get out to the lot for when the camper was being delivered to our place. DH moved the dozen or so blocks and then the camper was moved in place. The only glitch was that the guy had some difficulty getting a sharp enuff turn and it is very close to my apple trees.

We may have to look for some other solution down the road for that; it will be OK for now. DH says he may hire someone to move it a bit further back at a later date when we get some other things done that we want done this year. Someone suggested moving the trees, but I really don't want to do that as I could lose them, so we'll see.

We already lost many trees this spring, but one strong one came back with the rains. DH is going to hire a young lad we know to help him get all the grass cut and trimmed right up to the ditch as it isn't a small task to do that there. He needs the work badly and DH needs the help too. So I'll have to call and arrange for that.

I managed to get an appointment for the doctors; tried to register but they had a glitch if some kind too, so I'll have to keep trying next week. I'm going to get him to look at the scrape on my leg and see if there is anything that he can think of to help it heal up once and for all.

We will take the garden shed up at a later date and start on that; maybe the young lad could help DH with that too. We would like to get that done as soon as possible. We won't be doing much more this year on the cottage; starting fresh in the early spring instead.

Well, that's all the news for now; didn't eat perfectly today but I did get two days in a row of walking in and some casual walking in today; so kudos to me for that at least. I will try harder to eat better tomorrow to make up for today; one day a week shouldn't matter too much overall (I hope). :^:

HI VAL ~ glad your vacation with your friend went so well; and sounds like it wasn't a disaster for your meeting with Brent. You are still talking and relating; so it wasn't a total loss. It is always best to take some time to really get to know a person these days. My ezcema is all gone now -- PURPLE is having some trouble getting rid of hers. I have to see my new doctor at the end of the month about that scrape on my right shin; sure is taking it's time to go away, but I have been blessed in that it hasn't gotten infected and we're so hoping that it will go away soon.

HEY PURPLE ~ sorry to see that you have been having so much problems with your PC again; too bad you have to re-format and re-install all your programs again. Man, that does take some time to get all that done. Like I mentioned in my last post, some new programs or versions don't always work as they say they will; often it takes some time for them to get all the glitches out of them.

Hope you all have a WONDERFULLY, RELAXING WEEKEND!!! Tomorrow, we are doing nothing but resting and resting some more -- :lol: Take good care, ladies ... :hug:ROSEBUD :hug:

Justwant2Bhealthy 08-23-2009 09:23 PM

:wave: HI LADIES ~ hope you all are having a super Sunday! We spent the day just resting ... I sat on the porch with NIKO for a while in the lovely :sunny: this afternoon. Did some reading and also put my legs up for a nap for at least 2 hours too.

Made a tantalizing roast beef dinner with roasted veggies -- it turned out so nice. Ate much better today (credit moi), but just did toning exercises and walking around here (but hey, that something!). Our lawnmower has been acting up, but DH thinks he found out what it was; he had to bring it back home as he couldn't get it to start. He thinks he found it and just needs a few small parts up town tomorrow.

Our weather has cooled off nicely; it is kinda like early fall weather only we had nice sunshine today too (kind of like a fall-spring as they used to call it). I was talking to NUMPSTERthe other night and they are trying to buy a business; step one has passed (offer accepted); now they are waiting on the financing (step 2); and then when that goes through, they will then try to sell their condo and get the best price they can for it. I think the whole thing is awesome!!!

My Dad & SM are up again this week and will be staying long enuff for my Dad to build himself a shed for his non-household stuff. We got a fab deal on a garden shed: first I got $100.00 off for selecting it over the net; then when we picked it up, we got another bonus discount of $50.00 too! We have been very blessed this month, I'll say.

Well, it's that time to have my tea, put my legs up again, and just plain old rest; think I'll do some more reading while I'm at it. Take good care ladies -- hope you all have A MARVELLOUS MONDAY!!! :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc 08-25-2009 10:04 AM

Hi Ladies

Well I have just about sorted out now pc wise though our modem seems to be playing up one minute we are connected to the internet the next were not so a bit like the hokey cokey. So the isp are coming Thursday to take a look and possibly change the modem as there is no actually problems with the cable itself.

Weather today is just turning to dirty black rain clouds and just as I typed this the heavens have opened. Not that it is cold just warm and now wet. Though over the weekend it was glorious weather for drying clothes outside. I dried three loads on Sunday and got it all dry.

Yesterday did my version of the nutcracker suite or was it swan lake :D I lost my balance falling backwards giving my left elbow a good whack as I went. I fell back onto the corner of the wall and partially the fall was broken by DH. I thought it would be my elbow that would be sore today but no it is my back no doubt I jarred it as I did my ballerina act.

Tomorrow DH and I are going to pick up some bean bags from a customer and then a week later we are delivering them back again. There is some problem with the screen print as far as I am aware. So tomorrow that will keep me out of mischief.

The last few nights we have taken a late stroll and I mean late :o as neither of us was able to sleep. These walks have been lovely and even seen a fox or two on our travels. The gardens are looking pretty what with tubs, hang baskets and borders. Talking of gardens I was watching a programme on that the other day of a lady who had bought a cottage and was bring it back to its former glory. It was a very traditional cottage with the picture postcard look of roses around the door.

VAL Nice to hear from you and what you have been doing lately to your trip to Minnesota. Sorry to hear that your friends brother spent a night in hospital after having to be cut from his vehicle. The main thing is he is OK and cars are materialistic things that can be replaced.

Glad you are tolerating the new dose of rebif with minimal side effects. Just been trying to rack my brains to think what the drug is actually called in the UK Here in the UK I think it is know as beta interferon. Though there is a strict criteria surrounding this drug in this country. I do not qualify for this as I am not having relapses frequently enough to get it you must have at least three relapses in a year.

ROSEBUD Thanks for holding the fort whilst my pc was nigh on the front lawn :D Glad it is now up and running but I still haven't put on all my games etc but the lions share of the work is definitely done now. DH started the reformat off for me whilst I was in bed then when I woke up in the morning I took off from where he left off.

Looks like your parents got a cracking deal on that shed. It will be nice for you to catch up with them and have a relaxing weekend with them. Lets hope the bugs have packed their bags ;) so it is more pleasant outside.

I hope the visit to the doctor proves fruitful in the management of the wound on your leg. You must have been suffering with it months now and enough is enough. I am sure there is something that can be suggested. A friend of ours have just been on holiday to the East coast of England to a sea side town of Mablethorpe. They took their two granddaughters for a weeks holiday. Though unfortunately they were bitten by insects but his then became infected so was then on antibiotics to clear this up plus anti histamines to stop him itching. I know he is wary as he has had cellulitis twice in his leg both times requiring a stop in hospital to clear the infection.

Keep up the good work of getting your different forms of exercise in your doing fantastic.

Well I think that is me about caught up with everybody's posts just a reminder that if I am missing in action again this maybe due to the internet provider as they work on the line. Time to rest and put my feet up as I have just had my oxygen therapy. Take care till next time

Justwant2Bhealthy 08-25-2009 11:38 AM

:wave: HI LADIES ~ just a quick note; seems I forgot to post last night. DH and I went for a drive in the evening as it was much cooler outside than inside our place. I felt much better after that. They are predicting thunderstorms here for this afternoon, so I have to shut down my PC soon.

The :rain: just started to come down and the wild winds are picking up. DH just went out and wrapped up my church bell chimes, as one already broke during the last windy night we had. DH keeps forgetting to fix it and we've been so busy lately that I keep forgetting to remind him. :dizzy:

DH also wanted to go to our lot to cut the grass as he managed to get our lawnmower fixed yesterday (took over half the day), and he tried it out first to make sure it was working well. The are predicting nicer weather for the new couple of days, so we'll take advantage of that for sure.

PURPLE ~ sorry to hear that you had a fall and hurt your back; sure hope that you are feeling better real soon. We seem to have all kinds of small accidents: I keep seeing bruises and lumps and bumps here and there but can't for the life of me, figure out how and when and where I got them.

I know that I probably confused you by mentioning in one post that WE bought a Garden Shed (for a great deal); and that my Dad is building a small "tool" shed on the back of his cottage. Right now, we have no place for storage for our stuff, so were using an old van on my Dad's place for our small tools, but we need a much bigger shed for our gardening stuff and many other things.

The garden shed that WE bought is 10' x 10' which should hold quite a bit; later on, DH wants to build a larger wooden storage shed/garage for all his stuff, which he really needs, but we must do one thing at a time for now. :lol:

Yes, unfortunately, I have somehow got a small scrape on my LEFT leg shin as well, and I didn't even notice it until yesterday -- I don't know how this is happening. My leg seems swollen to me (I hope it is just water and not another infection); that's another reason why I made the doctor's appointment. I am going to ask him to put me on antibiotics just in case; this is all so scary and upsetting for me. I don't know why it won't heal up, but maybe I need some meds like you say (I have been thinking the same thing as you).

I have been putting a salve called OZONOL on both legs the last couple of days, to see if that helps at all. My appointment is on Friday, and it cannot come soon enuff for me. I am hoping this new doctor might have some fresh ideas for me too, becuz this has been causing me some concern, which turns into an added stressor, which I don't really need at this time.

My eating wasn't spot-on yesterday (meals were OK; but the snacking was off a bit), but I think it's just a bit of stress on my part ... so, I am trying to eat healthier today -- so far, so good (credit moi). I have been doing my toning exercises each day quite faithfully: I do these in the early AM, and find that helps me a lot -- that way they get done when I have the most energy.

We are trying to keep busy each day and do some walking, even if it is only short walks here and there. I think it all adds up and helps in the end -- this is my new exercise strategy ~ SMALLER AMOUNTS, BUT MORE OFTEN, plus mixed in with some longer walks about 3-4 times a week ...

So much for my quick note, eh? I get typing and before I know it, I have written a novel. :lol: DH is watching the clouds (and weather) diligently for me. He says that the :rain: stopped for a while, but has started again. The only problem with this kind of weather is that you can't get much done outdoors -- so yesterday, I did get some laundry catch-up done. I also did a bit of hand mending; and I have a few more things that I could do today too to pass time.

Time to go put some soup on for lunch. Hope you all have A TERRIFIC TUESDAY!!! Take good care ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc 08-26-2009 04:03 PM

Hi and good evening ladies

The weather today has been one for our webbed feathered friends and not to leave home without the trusty umbrella :rain: during our travels we did see moments of sunshine :sunny: but they were very few and far between.

Has I said yesterday we were going on a trip to a place down South to pick up some faulty screen printing on bean bags. Well we arrived at the place where the sat nav took us. We found ourselves in this lorry trailer park of all places. It certainly did not look like where we should be. So we phoned the number but on the invoice to find that they had since left the business. They gave us another number of a mobile but they must have been out to lunch and on answer phone. :fr: what to do? DH then phoned his sister who works for the same company as DH brother ( very much a family business ) She sorted out the issue for us gave us another number and we found out where we should be. We were at the right place but in the back of beyond of this trailer park and would have never have found it in a month of Sundays with out instructions.

Whilst waiting for this matter to be sorted out either there was a shooting party out or the plot next door which was being demolished for development was detonating small charges. So hence these bangs were going off every now and again. Well poor Rizzie he did not know what to do to get away from this horrid noise. He was trying desperately to get under DH legs on the drivers side. Then when prevented tried his luck on my side which there is very little room either as I have the freezer bag with food and the other bag with flask/lead and wipes. Good job in one sense we were parked up waiting for instruction so DH could assist me in trying to calm him down. Good job as well DH had just taken him for a little stroll to let him see to the call of nature before these bangs started. Otherwise there would be no way you would have got him out of that van. I know he is is not the heaviest breed with being a medium sized dog but he weighs in at 20 kg which is about roughly 44lbs. I don't know about most of you but 44lbs is out of my limits now for lifting. The trouble with Staffordshire bull terriers they are very muscular dogs which means very strong for their size.

Apart from the glitch in the middle of the trip finding the place everything went smoothly. I will take no rocking tonight in bed as I was up early this morning and could have quite easily gone back to bed to sleep. I have to be up again reasonably early tomorrow as the shopping has to be done and dusted before midday as we have the workman coming from the isp company to look at our fault. Would you believe it since we have telephoned the fault in it has not done it since. Though for weeks it has been going on and off the internet regularly throughout the day.

ROSEBUD I don't know if you ever had those forecast thunderstorms. The only blessing from those is often it brings much fresher weather after a period of very humid one leading up to the storm.

Yes knocks, bumps, lumps and bruise seem to come with the territory of becoming unsteady on our feet. We take it in our stride and pass off most of the bumps into furnitures or my favourite the door handle or frame. By the time the bruise or bump has come up I have forgot that I did that stumble a couple of days ago then wonder :?: where did that bruise come from :dizzy: Knock wood my back seems a lot better today and I have not had so many nasty twinges up my spine on moving in a certain way after my rendition of swan lake ;)

Yes I can understand how stressful and worrying your leg wounds are especially when they won't heal for months on end. Like me stress is always a trigger for me to reach for the bad foods in the past and mindless grazing. It is a hard habit to break the crutch that food was or is for me. I used food for every emotion going and it was not until I embarked seriously on the weight loss journey did I realise it or be willing to admit this. So I bet you have the same issues to around food when stressed. Plus for me it can trigger my eczema to go rampant which I make worse no doubt itching it with my long finger nails :o Good news for my last bout of eczema that was triggered by the worry of my parents operations in the same week is now back in check thank goodness after a weeks course of steroidal cream and moisturiser cream in the showers. I am sure the trip to the doctor will alleviate some of your worries and fears.

Well tomorrow it is grocery day it sure does come round quick again. Tonight no doubt will be a sleepless night for my niece as she has her exam results tomorrow. I know what it is like waiting for exam results the nerves kick in convincing yourself that you have failed. I really hope she gets the results she wants that will allow entry into her college course.

Well I must start to make a little light supper just a few crackers so that I can have my night medication. Don't knock your entry Rosebud I love reading what you have been up to as I find it interesting. In many ways we are similar but others different as we have been brought up in different parts of the world. So those differences make us unique people and interesting in our own special ways.

Night all and hope to catch you again tomorrow providing I am on the internet :crossed: till next time take care and enjoy your Wednesday. Yeah middle of the week soon be bank holiday weekend and 3 days off work (well it is in the UK so sorry if it is not else where)

Justwant2Bhealthy 08-26-2009 10:50 PM

:wave: HI LADIES ~ well, we never did get the lightening and thunderstorms that were predicted yesterday, but we did get some rain on and off until about noon; then we had these fierce winds that did not let up all evening and night. There were times that it was so windy that I thought the building was going to fly away, but of course, it didn't! :lol:

HI PURPLE ~ yes, we kept watching the skies and I did my post here and in the CE thread; but then it stopped raining and the sun kept peaking out now and then. As I mentioned above though, in the early evening, things started to get really scary -- winds were howling and banging things around; good thing DH went out and made sure everything was put away or tied down. The only thing that blew away was one of our garbage cans from behind our place, but some good soul rescued it and put it on our front porch (probably in the AM).

Glad you got that mix up sorted out and your pick up finally done; sure would have been a shame to go all that way for nothing and then have to go back again later on. Your Rizzie looks smaller than our NIKO, but he is only 35 lbs as he is a slimmer kind of dog like a lab is; he is only 19" at the shoulder, so I guess that would make him a medium-small dog. He seems bigger to us, becuz our girls were only 12" and smaller, lighter dogs and very easy to handle. Although, he is getting better as he gets older ...

We haven't done any shopping yet this week; we have been trying to use up what we have here for now. We will likely have to pick up some eggs and bread before the week is out though. I made a shepherd's pie yesterday from leftovers from the roast beef and veggies; and I still have some beef left that I think I will make a pot of soup tomorrow. Sure have made that last a good while this week.

We went up to our lot so that I could wash up the inside of the camper; I'm afraid that I exhausted myself a bit overdoing it a bit. DH did some grass cutting around the trailer and some of my trees to help them out, so he was pretty tired out too. It was lovely and sunny all day; the temps were cooler, but I thought it was a pleasant day anyways -- kind of like a sunny fall day really. Not usually this cool in August though; but some warmer days may still come in September.

Well, it's time to go and get some much needed rest. Hope all you ladies have a really pleasant day tomorrow -- take good care ... :hug:Rosebud:hug:

purpleorc 08-27-2009 02:42 PM

Hi Ladies

Weather is much better today no need for the dreaded umbrella :rain:. So have took the opportunity to wash a few clothes plus then another load with the covers that protect the chairs from our hound who sneaks on them more times than he should. So that's why we put covers on to protect the chairs and sofa. Not ideal but the best solution to how crafty Rizzie who knows every trick in the book :yes:

The workman hasn't been yet to see to the isp but there is still plenty of time for him to arrive. We are going shopping later as I was so tired this morning and needed that bit more sleep probably after the trip yesterday that's why I suppose. Not that I do anything as such on the trip apart from sit there and be the passenger. Now we have the sat nav no more navigating for me now. Now that was a nightmare as I had to plan the route and then navigate my DH to the destination. How we ever got there is beyond me but we did. Though I found it stressful having to be so mindful all the time looking out for the next turn or next junction on the motorway. So for one I am grateful for the sat nav as it took all the stress out of the journey for me and all the pre-planning of the route.

On a stretch of the motorway yesterday there were lots of police cars pulling people over in the cars. Initially we thought it maybe for speeding though as we got closer we saw the van with the 3 cameras covering the 3 lanes of the motorway. These were checking to see whether you had a valid tax disc. All vechicles need a displayed tax disc that you replace either every 6 months (cheaper payment but dearer overall as you have to pay for another 6 month one or a year one) or every year. It is a complex system that is based on co2 emission from your car and you pay more if you have a high output. I am lucky as I am exempt from payment due to being disabled though I do have a disc in my car which looks like any other unless you look closely then it says in small writing that i am disabled. Not exactly how I would like it to be displaying for everyone but I am very grateful I do not have to pay. This is the web site to the payments needed to be made and you can see how complex it system is http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...icle/DG_172916 I also am fortunate I do not have to no longer apply for one every year as mind comes in the post about 2 weeks before it is due to expire. This is because my car is part of the motability scheme for those people whom have mobility issues.

In this country we are fortunate that we have a system of benefits that support people whom are in need. Whether you be elderly, disabled, sick from work or be on maternity leave to name a few there are monetary benefits you may claim if you fit the right criteria. Though with money on offer to support those in most need it is open to abuse by unscrupulous people who will think up ways to claim money for money they are not entitled too. There is fraud agencies who deal pacifically with this type of fraudulent claim and there is a hot line which people can anonymously phone in to report those who are being dishonest. There are penalties for this type of crime for the most severe of cases that will result in a spell at her majesties pleasure aka a prison sentence.

Though on the other flip of the coin there is a high percentage of people do not claim what they are entitled too either through not knowing they are entitled to this to being to proud to ask for help or even feeling that it is stigma to be on benefits. Though many of these people have worked hard all their life and paid into this coffer of the government's for such benefits. So now it is their turn to draw money from the coffer so to speak as they have paid to into for such an occasion. Many of the forms are daunting I must admit though now there are people who will fill them in for you for free and they keep the information you have given them confidential. I know my father to this day regrets not filling out the form for the benefit I received now as he was daunted by the form. If he had done he would have been entitled to a car if he had wished from the age of around 55. This is when his heart troubles started but they had been going on a while before but he put it down to indigestion. Look at the money that he has missed out on that I am sure would have come in useful. I have just been reading about another benefit that I have just been made aware of that he might be entitled too. I may ask mum to phone on his behalf and if he is allow to apply get someone to help them fill it all in. There is a programme on the BBC showing such scroungers as they are called in the programme those who claim benefits and shouldn't be. There is also the work of what in the programme are referred to as saints who get people the correct benefits often making a huge difference in someone's life.

ROSEBUD yes I think our Rizzie is smaller in size than NIKO but they do say muscle weighs heavier so that must be the reason as he is not an over weight dog in any way as I watch what he eats and he gets regular exercise so he is fit as a fiddle. I often say where are the batteries as he is none stop a lot of the time so I am sure he must run off them :D

Took a look in my freezer and did a rough tally of the meals I have in there and there is about 5 or 6 weeks worth at least. So no meat is needed yet which is nice. I did not realise how much stuff I had ferreted away in there much have been a squirrel in a former life ;) I also have on top of that meals that I have made for times when I am not so clever so that we can still keep on track with our healthy eating. Your home made shepherds pie sounds lovely I really like that type of meal. Plus you can cut down on the amount of potatoes by doing lay or layers of things like mashed squash, carrots or swede to name a few. They have less calories and I do not put butter in when I mash them just season them lightly.

Hope you did not suffer too much from your overdoing it at the lot. I sometimes do that and then when it is too late find out that it was a step too far.

My niece got her exam results she got the passes required for the college course but did not do as well as she might in her own words. She did not study hard enough as like her mum she hated school. Though looking forward to school as she will be studying something she likes and can see the point of. She told me she found it difficult being at an academic school where the pressure was always on to get good grades all the time if you started to have trouble in a subject then you were deemed stupid or not trying. I hope the atmosphere of college which is more relaxed and easy going where you are treated like adults is more to her liking. I struggled school for and hated being treated like a child when I was mature enough to be treated as an adult. When at home I was treated as an adult with those responsibilities. I loved college for the different ethos and atmosphere and did so much better there and was listened too. Whilst at school you were forced into things like for example taking exams which I felt were a step too much. In my time you could take O level ( ordinary level) or take the lower which was CSE (certificate of school education I think long time ago :D) though if in your CSE you achieved the top grade it was classed as an O level C grade or above. I wanted to take CSE in three subjects but they said no I was capable of doing them. The result was I failed in those three subjects yet if I had taken the lower exam I would have done much better as the questions would have been less ambiguous.

***** PART TWO*****

Why part two well stopped my entry as we went shopping as the repair man came to see to the ISP of ours. Well as we thought they just changed the modem to see if that does the trick. We were warned that in the next two weeks work is going to be done in our area so we will get intermittent close down of service whilst this work is going on. Well at least we have been warned of the maintenance work to be carried out.

Good job we checked our shopping bill over a cup of coffee as we had been charged wrongly. Two items which was on offer we had been charged the full price. I wonder how many other customers have taken these items and not bothered to check their bill at the end of it. I know we will be inspecting out bill closely from now on. As we were over charged by $.350 CAD which is a great over charge. Like you we take up on these offers and this saves money in the long run as while the offer is on we buy a little extra of the good if they are non perishable ones and have a good expiry date on them. This way it makes the money set aside for the groceries go that little bit further.

one thing I have been trying to do is drink less soft drinks such as squash as I know this is a little naughty but I have to drink a high amount of fluids due to the troubles I have with the damage to my nervous system that operates my water works etc. I have been trying to swop some of these drinks for water. It has not been easy as I am not a water drinker but I have found that chilled water I will drink more readily. So I am hoping over time I will gradually change my habits. I know I am not going to do it over night so I think the softly softly approach might work like it did in changing my diet that was very poor at the time. It might not be perfect now but it is vastly improved from a couple of years ago.

Going to see mum and dad tomorrow looking forward to seeing them as it has been a week since I have seen them. I have spoken to them on the phone regularly but it is not the same as seeing them in person especially when we are a close family considering the few miles their is between us. My sister sees my parents more than I do but she lives in the same town as them.

Well I best finish my epic essay that I seem to be compiling here before it becomes a university dissertation (thesis). One more day to go till the weekend ladies so happy Thursday and have a brilliant day Friday. Will try and pop by tomorrow morning before I go out. So till next time ladies take care.

Justwant2Bhealthy 08-27-2009 10:38 PM

:wave: HI LADIES ~ the temps dropped down to 0C last night (32F) and there was frost on everything when we woke up. We had 40F for a few nights before that too. Seems like fall weather is here early, but we may have some nice days in September and October yet ...

Made a nice beef HOT POT today; it was so fab smelling that delicious soup-stew all day long. Even NIKO couldn't wait to have some; we put a bit on bread for him; he's our furry baby and we love to spoil him rotten.

We went up town for our weekly grocery shopping; just picked up some veggies (baby carrots and cukes; tomatoes) and some strawberries besides the essentials. I picked up some non-salted nuts to put into my homemade snack mix; this is a nice treat. I made a point of walking all around the outside of the store to get my walking in for today (kudos 2 me). My eating was very good today too (credit moi).

As I mention before, we spent yesterday up at our lot -- me doing cleaning of our camper and DH cutting a bit of grass. I made a list of things that we need to do (the minor repairs and changes); we will just take our time and enjoy the journey. We have a lovely view; from the kitchen window, I can see the neigbours gorgeous garden and from the east side, I can look straight at our cottage and watch the progress there too.

I tried to take a picture as we were leaving but it was just starting to get dark there and so the pic wasn't too good. Next time we go up, I will take a picture in the daytime so you can see it too. It actually looks pretty nice on our lot; it makes a great mini-caban, as the French call it.

My Dad and SM (Grace) are both looking and feeling much better. We had lots of time to visit this time as we were up at the lot three days in a row preparing for the camper arriving. They will be going home soon, as the temps are starting to get much colder at night here much sooner than normal it seems ...

HI PURPLE ~ that's OK; I read all your epic drama. :lol: A lot of the same things go on here as there, but I don't think there really is as much cheating as some people think; the rules here are so strict that it seems harder to get help really. I have seen people not get help for many years just becuz they didn't know how to access it or how to fill the form out correctly. The process is daunting and sometimes very stressful too.

I hope we don't have to get those disc things for pollution control or pay a tax on that; we already pay too many taxes now. The licenses cost us a lot each year, plus gas and repairs is difficult for some people. Our mechanic told us to wait on the bearing; to use it until it starts to squeak constantly, then bring it in to change it; that will cost us about $213.00. I now know how much it will be, so I am going to try and put the money away as soon as I can to pay for it. It seems that most times, I just can't get ahead with my car fund; the repairs come up too often to get ahead for even a few months.

Anyways, I am just now have my evening tea; time to go put my legs up for awhile and do some reading. I have a doctor's appointment in the morning, so will have a shower just before going. Hope we can find out what we can do to get the skin on my leg to heal; it is taking such a long time.

Take good care ladies, and hope that you all have A FABULOUS FRIDAY and weekend .... :hug:ROSEBUD :hug:

purpleorc 08-28-2009 06:49 AM

Hi Ladies

I have a little time before going to mum and dad's so I thought I would drop by and say hello :wave:. The weather was nice for me on getting up now it looks rainy but none has developed now. I hope it holds off as DH as gone for a walk to put my prescription in and then we can pick it up on the way out to mum and dad's Today is what we describe as dog walking weather because so many times when we go to mum and dad's it decides to throw it down with rain :rain: and so we get drenched for our troubles. Not to mention a Rizzie who has the hump because he has got wet also.

Just too a joint of pork out of the freezer and popped it into the fridge to defrost. ~This is what I am cooking tomorrow it is the leanest joint being the loin of pork. It was a big joint originally but we cut it in half and froze both halves. The portion now is more realistic for the two of us and a few tit bits for our Rizzie of course.

ROSEBUD Oh I can taste your beef hot pot from here. I love stews and soups plus one big bonus they have very little washing up afterwards. The worst part is chopping up all the vegetables to go in there but now I also put either bean or lentils in for more vegetable based proteins. Like you we spoil our Rizzie and sometime I cook a dinner for him :o Though I do not put any seasoning like salt in for him or any onions. Mainly mashed steamed vegetables , gravy and meat of course. He loves those meals I must admit especially any roast meats. My parent often cook him one as well as my Dad spoils our Rizzie rotten more than we do I think :D That's why my DH nicknamed my dad Mr Softie :lol: and me at time Mrs Softie. DH does not like to admit it but he is just as bad as the rest of us really.

Yes some of our forms for certain benefits are really daunting like I think it is the one that is called disability living allowance or DLA for short has something like 40 pages to fill out. Now I can understand peoples reluctance to fill that out because a lot of the questions seem irrelevant to you. Though I was more fortunate than most I had filled several of these forms out for patients of mine on their behalf or assisting them on filling them out. But even so when it came my turn to do one for myself as my health circumstances changed I was some what overwhelmed so goodness knows how others feel. The blessing is that now there is more help to assist you in filling the forms out I think that was not so readily available 10 years ago when I had to do it.

We also have many taxes in the UK as you know we even have a licence for our television which is over $160 CAD per year. You can take your chances and not have a licence but it is not worth it as there are detector vans whom who catch the offenders who do not pay and they get a fine or persistent offenders I think can get a prison sentence. So I never even think of trying such a scam. Not that many years ago either you even had to have a licence for a dog!!! Though that was abolished in 1987 for some reason. You still have to have a licence to fish in this country also. I tell you the government has every angle covered to get more money from its people.

Good Luck for today and the doctors visit I am sure that there is some treatment out there that will get it healed. It maybe a long process but I am sure they will crack it. I know it is more difficult to heal if you are diabetic as Dad can have the same trouble.

Well must be making tracks now to close this post as we are going in the next 20 minutes so want to pack the car with a change of clothes and a few bits and bobs So till next time take care

Justwant2Bhealthy 08-28-2009 10:03 PM

TGIF ~ Hope all you ladies are having a fantastic Friday night!!! We woke up to lovely :sunny: weather today; it stayed til about noon then some clouds rolled in but we never got the rain they predicted for tonight (well, at least not yet).

Got up really early to have a shower and get ready for my docs appointment; turns out the schedule was behind. I met my new doctor and he seems very nice and caring; and he is much more aggressive when it comes to finding solutions for your issues. He put me on antibiotics to make sure if there is an infection to get rid of that and pills to help get rid of the excess water in my legs (the swelling) which he thinks is contributing to the slow healing of my leg ulcers (that's what they are called).

He was very informative and explained to me in detail what they are and what causes them and how we can try to get rid of them. I also had to order some special gauze pads with meds as our pharmacy was out of them. We will try these for a month and see with the meds how they heal.

We also discussed my weight of course; like I said he was very progressive in his approach and I really like that. I also have to have some tests done next week as well. Since I am new to him, he is being very thorough to check things out first. He is also making an appointment for me to see a specialist about my weight. So DH and I have some big decisions coming up that we have to make concerning my health. I will fill you in as I know more myself; it will take some time for us to digest everything and we'll take our time making the impending decisions ...

Other than that, we had a great day; took a long while to get our meds as it was very busy today being Friday, so we went out for a small lunch which was fun for a change (we should do that more often). We had a light dinner but did treat ourselves tonight a bit; so hopefully that will be OK over the week. Back to the plan for tomorrow. I was talking to a nice lady while at my appointment; she had lots of health issues that she said our new doctor has helped her clear right up, so that gave me hope too, and she was right.

HI PURPLE ~ that's a good idea to cut some pieces of meat in half before freezing it; sometimes I do that with beef roasts or hams too. That works better for the crock pot as well (smaller pieces of meat, I mean). We actually feel sorry for you that you have to pay so much for telly, but we have to pay for cable and satellite here too. Right now, you can use an antenna for free, but we don't have one here.

I am likely just going to upgrade to high-speed internet so we can watch on there instead; have to call and inquire about that. I have lots to do next week -- have to go to the hospital for blood tests; plus make appointments for the eye doctors for both of us; plus make a few other phone calls as well (another doctor's appt for 2 weeks which we forgot by the time we got home). Better make a list or I am going to forget something, I just know it. :lol:

We still have to have a dog licence here; but we got a lifetime one for NIKO which cost $40.00 for a lifetime tag. That was better than paying for each year. We also have to have fishing licences too; I have a pass becuz of my disabled pass, but DH had to buy one and was none too pleased that it cost him $25.00 for only half a year. Oh well, pretty soon he will be exempt when he turns 65; I wish it was exempt at 60 though for the seniors, as most people consider a senior citizen as someone who is 60+ -- not 65 (which is really our general retirement age).

Time to put my legs up for awhile and rest some for the night; take good care ladies and please do have A WONDERFUL WEEKEND!!! :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc 08-29-2009 03:43 PM

Hi and good evening

Well the heavens did open yesterday just as we were getting in the car to go to Mum and Dad's it still continued really pouring with rain as DH got out of the car to pick up my prescription from the chemist. So he got more than a little wet for his troubles of a good deed for me. Later at my parents house we had a brief thunderstorm that even brought a few hailstones with it. The temperature yesterday was much cooler by about 5 degrees than in previous days. I hate to say it but I can feel autumn is just around the corner with these more chillier days. I even had to put my electric blanket on last night to warm up the bed as my legs and hands were like blocks of ice. I got to thinking and though yikes :fr: what would I be like in the much colder climates that many of you have. I would be dressed in hat, scarf, coat, thermal long john's and that was just for bed :lol: Today weather wise it is much nicer with long periods of sunshine with short bursts of cloud cover.

Today I have cooked a joint of pork but instead of roasting it I did it for a change by putting the joint in whole but then putting the normal vegetables and pulses that you would put in a casserole. Then about 20 minutes prior to serving lunch I take out the joint to rest ready to carve it. Has it was pork I added a cooking apple in big chunks though by the end of cooking time it had melted into the gravy. I put in bay leaves and thyme as my seasoning herbs. It was extremely nice I must say so tasty and with the leanest cut of pork being the loin of pork.

ROSEBUD I am so glad that your visit to the doctors went well and that he was progressive in his treatment. Sounds like he is tackling the ulcer from all sides with dressings, antibiotics and diuretics (medical term for the tablet most people just call "water tablets"). So you will find that when you take these you will be wanting more potty breaks than normal but that is what they do to get rid of the excess water in your legs. You are right to take your time in making decisions about your weight and possible treatments. That way you do not rush into them and regret afterwards that you wished you had taken more time about making a decision. He sounds a rather good and through doctor who has your best interests at heart.

Sounds like you have enough to keep you out of mischief for the next two weeks what with blood tests and appointments at various places. My next two weeks are really making the preparations to my holiday as we go a fortnight today. It does not seem that long ago since we booked it but that was way back at the end of December. We are going to just outside the historic Yorkshire town of York. Though it is set in the countryside with lakes for fishing there. It is a log cabin of course that we are going in and a 3 bedroomed cabin. That is so that there is a bedroom for my parents and one for us. Then one for putting coats, suitcases and other bits and piece we buy on holiday. This way we do not fall over anything well namely Dad and I who can trip over our own feet never mind any obstacles. The cost of another rooms is not much difference to a 2 bedroomed cabin and worth it for our safety.

Not sure here if there is an exemptions for fishing licences for anyone over 60 or disabled here. Though we do get a bus pass for free both over 60 and disabled. Here in Nottingham we have a good network of buses and trams which run on a regular basis. Though the trams do not reach as far as where I live though they do go out as far but in another direction. The travel is free for disabled and elderly with this pass in off peak hours. If you wish to travel in rush hour times then it will cost half. Gosh our dog licence was never that expensive so I am thankful that it has been abolished now in the UK.

The retirement age is 65 here also it has just been raised from 60 my mum just snook in at 60 before it became into enforcement. Though there is talk of it being raised even further. At this rate the younger generation will not get any years of retirement as they are predicting for the first time that the next generation will not life longer than the previous one. This has been put down to the poor diet of fast food with very little to no vegetables and fruit. Very little exercise and obesity which will lead to mortality rates being younger.

I am going to close my post for this evening as I am very tired now just about an hour ago I had to lay on the sofa as the fatigue really got to me. Though some of it was due to the heat from the kitchen and cooking. So opened the back door and let the cool air waft and it gradually did the trick of cooling me down and the result was a much better feeling me. So good evening for now ladies I hope your enjoying your weekend.

Bye for now and take care ladies

Justwant2Bhealthy 08-29-2009 09:38 PM

:wave: HI LADIES ~ well, the day was quite cloudy and overcast until just before sunset; but we didn't get the rain they had predicted for this weekend at all. Maybe we won't get it at all and it will all go south and down to the southern part of N/A for the areas that need the rain really bad (California and the lower southern states).

After doing some laundry (including our bed linens), it was time to put the warm comforter back on the bed, as it is getting a bit cooler at night now. DH has been finding it a bit chilly at night; but I'm sure that tonight that he will say that he is roasting. :lol:

We decided to go out for drive this afternoon to do a pick-up for DH (that is, materials for his hobbies). We had a nice visit today with a couple who are retro-fitting an old large building; they sure have accomplished a lot in just two months but the cold weather is fast arriving and they need to get their heating system up and running very soon. We suggested they use econo electric heaters (confection) but in the dead of winter, they will likely still be very, very cold. Maybe he should install a wood furnace or stove like he originally planned.

If it's nice tomorrow afternoon, we may go for a drive out to the lot and see if my Dad and SM are still at their cottage or not. He does have a new portable phone, but I am surprised that they haven't called us with it yet. At first, they said they were going to build a small shed, but then he changed his mind again, and they said they would be returning home as they were finding the night temps a bit too cool for them.

We've had to put our furnace on twice so far, but only for a short while. The days have had nice temps in around 70F which is quite nice actually; the best temps we have had this summer actually. It's pretty warm in here tonight; all you have to do is a bit of cooking and that warms the place up.

HI PURPLE ~ your loin of pork sounds quite yummy. We had some homemade soup for lunch today and a fun dinner of a hamburgler and fries. Don't blame you for pulling out your electric blanket; that sounds like something that would be nice to have for the winter, just to warm the bed up a bit before we jump in. Hmmm ... that has me thinkin' ... :chin:

Yes, I am glad that this doctor is more aggressive as far a finding solutions for my health issues, but apparently he isn't the only one right now. I was talking to a lady that said she doesn't have a regular doctor yet, but she was assigned one at our day clinic that has been pestering her to quit smoking and to lose weight constantly. She says that she won't go back to her anymore becuz of that; she says she doesn't mind them suggesting things once, but not harping on her every time she goes. Some doctors tell their patients they want them to lose weight but don't have any practical solutions to offer them.

It's nice to see the doctors care, but I could see how that could become very annoying after awhile. Like you suggested, we are going to take our time thinking about his suggestions which some feel are too radical. I just don't know what to think right now; sometimes it feels like we are between a rock and a hard place. We want to lose weight, but I am having trouble losing and keeping it off, but their only solution for someone like me is to have major surgery.

He says that most doctors today don't believe diets work for most people and that right now surgery has a higher success rate in the stats; but again, I still feel that it is so drastic. Yes, it is true; I have seen the research that says only 3-5 % of people that diet to lose weight, will keep it off; those stats are also very dismal. I have a book here by a doctor who was also a Weight-Loss Specialist (I will try to find her real medical name) who said that in her practice, only people with about 30 lbs to lose, on average, were able to keep the weight off for a long time. She said all her patients that had 50 lbs or more to lose, were not successful long term.

Honestly, I really don't know what to do right now -- and I was very discouraged after I went to my appointment. I could tell that he really cares, but it was also scary at the same time. I need some time to think things over, becuz I don't want to do something just becuz I feel pressured, frightened, and/or desperate.

I did a little stress munching becuz of this too; but I am hoping by tomorrow that I will be back on track again. I must keep going on my journey towards good health, despite what anyone says.

Well, it's time to go put my tired feet and legs up and do some reading for a while; maybe a puzzle if I feel up to it. Hope all you ladies have a Superbly Serene Sunday!!! Take good care ... :hug:ROSEBUD:hug:

purpleorc 08-30-2009 03:48 PM

Hello fellow chicks

Well Mr sunshine didn't make an appearance today but on the plus side we did not have any rain just heavy cloud. There still remains today that definite nip in the air that suggests autumn is coming faster than maybe we would like. Though for our holidays days that are not too sunny are ideal with having Rizzie as it means we can leave him in the car for short periods whilst site seeing etc. Then when we return to the log cabin park give him his dose of fun or stop off at a park that maybe near by. Last year we went into the grounds of a castle that was about a mile an half away every day morning and evening. He absolutely adored it sniffing every blade of grass not to mention watering anything that didn't move ;) The holiday is as much for him as it is for us so it is right that he has his bit of fun and excitement.

Today we went out for lunch and I had a chicken dinner with vegetables. It is bank holiday weekend here in the UK so the cafe we dine in was less busier than normal I suspect people are either having visitors or have gone a visiting. Normally the cafe is very busy and often you have to double up with either another couple or a widow or widower. This way we have got to know lots of customers over the time we have gone there. Today also was the computer fayre though we did not go this time as we didn't want anything or neither did my parents/sister. My family normally need inks for their printers as they have an epson printer (different models) and we can pick up inks so much cheaper there. Plus they do deals on sets which makes them even more cost effective. My sister will soon start rapidly going through ink as she now has one daughter starting at college, and two at secondary school. So as the time goes on homework will need to be printed off to take to college/school.

ROSEBUD yes it is important that your friends seriously need to get some heating sorted as soon as possible with your winter climate. Most homes here tend to have gas central heating so that means radiators in every room (unless your this bungalow :lol: though there is talk of putting one that is missing which is the lounge one) and passage ways such as halls. Then most have what are called gas fires which give instant heat to a room. Though the gas fires are normally only in the lounge and dinning room. We only have a lounge so hence we only have one gas fire. With having this form of heating it is advisable that you have a regular service to maintain them. You must also have adequate ventilation which comes in the form of a small vent. If you are safety concious then you can buy an alarm than detects the build up of carbon monoxide which if high enough doses can kill you. They are inexpensive to buy so are a good investment.

The electric blanket was a great investment though one thing I wish I had done was bought one with separate controls for right and left side of the bed. This way if one person likes the temperature cooler then it can be adjusted to their taste. Also I bought the one that can be left on all night if the switch is clicked over and it just keeps it on at a low temperature just keeping the bed a little warm very nice if you suffer from cold extremities. I can not use this feature as my DH can't control his temperature like ourselves due to his burns. He gets hot very quickly and he seldom needs coats or jumpers. If I put the blanket on then prior to going to bed I just flick back the covers on his side of the bed leaving mine nice and covered. I have bought one that can also go into a washing machine to launder which amazes me with being electrical.

I hate doctors whom are so pestering whether that is about giving up cigarettes or losing weight. For starters no amount of badging is going to make someone do it they must want to do it for themselves. Also like you say they do the badgering but do not have practical solutions in helping you achieve these goals. I had a doctor who was like that once who pestered the living daylights out of me, every ailment I had was put down to my weight. I was fortunate enough that my weight did not effect my health but I know that it was only a matter of time before that happened. He even sent me to a dietitian when I went with symptoms that indicated something neurological this was the start of the MS.

That for me was the last straw I was so deeply upset by this my DH had the devil of a job getting me to see the other doctor but I am glad he persuaded me now. I saw the other doctor in the practice who was different again. Never was my weight mentioned or the fact I smoked at that time. When I went for this consultation with the first symptoms of MS. Though when I say first symptoms I would be telling a fib there I had problems for at least 9 months non stop but I had a good inkling what it might be. If I didn't go to the doctors then it couldn't be true. In essence I did not want to come to terms with it so kept it secret even from DH which is something I never do we share everything. This doctor on the first consultation did the basic neurological test such as walk only an imaginary line like a tight rope. Then close my eyes and touch my nose with either finger etc. A few years ago I actually saw the letter from this doctor to the neurological department and even he way back then had though the same as myself that it could be MS.

I can understand your worries about being pushed into radical surgery. I would on your next visit voice your opinions I maybe the doctor will reassure you that he will not push you down any route that your not happy with. He will give you the time decide what is right for you.

I know that research shows that people whom lose a certain amount of weight do not keep it off. Though this is only the finding of there study. There are so many here on 3fc who are living proof that they can keep it off long term but they have maybe done this by joining no weight watching club but choose a path of healthier eating and more exercise. I have kept my weight off for a year all by I tend though to vary between just a few pounds and I weight myself regularly which then tells me how I am doing. If I am creeping towards the cut of point I have given myself. Then I just shave down the calories for a few days until we are back where I should be. I am not saying maintenance is easy but nothing is life is easy. It is hard being over weight, it is hard losing weight and it hard maintaining. Just pick which hard your want to do. That came from a quote of one user on here and I have thought that ethos was so true and I think regularly of it.

I know it is hard not to be stressed by such events in our life. Though one thing I will say to you look how far you have come and how much weight you have lost. Not only that you have continued to keep the weight off. I am sure your diet I say this loosely by this I mean the type of foods you eat in general are good wholesome foods much better than maybe a few years back. If anything like me they were fat laden or sky high in sugar. I never cared what amount of calories something had in it if I wanted it I just munched my way through it then went back for seconds :o I am by no means perfect in my diet at present but it is all about finding a balance that I can live with. I wished I could have a truly wholesome diet but it just isn't going to happen any time soon so this is the happy medium for me.

Time for me to wash the tea pots up we had a late tea with going out for dinner and didn't feel hungry till later. I think when it comes to supper I will just have a banana so that I may take my tablets without feeling sick.

Bye for now and take care