Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-14-2009, 01:37 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 352/263.2/170

Height: 69"

Default Allergies! Rawr!!

Anyone else have food allergies galore that seem to cause issues?

Also, I've heard that wheat allergies can lead to weight gain. I think it's a load of crap, but what have you guys heard?
skatardrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:21 AM   #2  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

On one hand, I have (or maybe had) always believed that grains got a bad wrap. Now, I'm not so sure I was right. Avoiding grains and high carbohydrate foods not only really helps me lose weight more easily, it seems to also minimize the symptoms of my health issues. When I've got the perfect balance right, I feel great.

I only have one true food allergy that I'm aware of and that's honey - or "some honey," which probably means I'm allergic to a common pollen. Pasteurized honey seems to be better, and some raw honey is even ok, but it's common enough that I usually avoid honey (otherwise, I get a sore and scratchy throat). I also had an allergic reaction to a bee sting, but it was a local reaction (swelling and rash) and didn't involve the respiratory tract. Again maybe it's the pollen on the bee that got into the venom and caused the problem.

While I don't think I'm allergic to wheat, I might have mild celiac disease, or just a carbohydrate or grain "intolerance." From experimenting, I've found that a low carb/low grain really is best for me. That doesn't make it easy to stick with.

Last edited by kaplods; 03-14-2009 at 03:21 AM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote