Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #46  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Hi!

Meowee-for doing well with the eating! It does improve the outlook to be able to stay on plan and see progress, doesn't it?

Hi to everyone else, too and hope you're all having a great day! Our furnace broke yesterday, so spent the whole day trying to track down a replacement part -almost impossible and the one we can get is so expensive, we've decided it's better to replace the whole HVAC system-so then I was lining up contractors for estimates. Unfortunately, most of them treat a woman like you don't have a clue what they're talking about-you know, us poor, little dumb females who have to rely on our men to make these kind of complicated decisions I had the facts charted out and decision 80% made before DH got home from work! Then, when we went over everything, he agreed with my decision (cause HE knows I've got a brain), so I can line up the work today. Just wish we'd known this was coming-I'm not the best at budgets, so something else is gonna have to wait. Oh, well, that's been our lot in life for the last 18 years, so we should be used to it by now That's the choice we made when we decided to do the homeschooling-we knew we wouldn't always have $$ like families where both spouses have paying jobs.

But, a good thing from the furnace issue was that I got absolutely ALL the laundry done! DH has the dryer vented into the house in the winter, so we heated with the dryer and the oven (roasted chicken and veggies-yummmmmm!). Today, off to town for some groceries after I talk to the HVAC guys.

Hope you're all having a great day!
Old 03-13-2009, 04:39 PM   #47  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

RONNI ~ glad you have found a solution for your furnace problems, even though it has to be a new one, and that costs lotsa money; but at least you do have your income tax refund to cover that, and heating the house is an important need right now. As you know, I took business the second time I went to college, so I am always haranguing people about the benefits of putting away some savings for a 'rainy day' for unexpected emergencies like this. Hindsight is always 20-20, isn't it?

Can't tell you how many times we have been so grateful that we did put a wee bit by ... as life is full of these kind of unexpected problems. I kinda believe that we should always 'EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED' ... I could make that my motto, I think!

MEOWEE ~ Well, the storms have finally passed here too; glad you are having better weather, which sounds similar to what we have here right now as well. Congrats on eating so well this month too ...

Well, we are just staying home today so DH can rest up his shoulder; we have a full larder, so we are OK. We had some sun on and off, but there is a bit of a wind too. Poor NIKO isn't too well today either; earlier DH found the evidence of an upset tummy ... poor fella!

So we have our hands full here right now too, but this too shall pass! Hope you all have A WONDERFUL WEEKEND!!! Take good care ROSEBUD
Old 03-14-2009, 10:39 AM   #48  
MSer living healthy

S/C/G: 300/176/170

Height: 5ft 8in

Hi Ladies

Round 2 why round 2 I hear you say I have just typed this out once then had a moment absent mindedness and decided to delete it instead The annoying this was I was just about done I was suppose to be smalling them on my desktop and in my infamous wisdom hit the cross and closed it completed. So hear I am again typing it out.

The trip to Ashborne went well and no traffic problems. We have another fairly local one next Monday to do so something like the 23rd of March the day after Mothers day. I know it is not mothers day in other parts of the world but we celebrate it on a different day here. Something to do with it being contacted to the church that decided the day.

Yesterday we were at my parents house and then in the evening went to play cards. I did no good but not that I can complain as I have had a real purple patch just recently (purple patch is slang for a lucky streak). DH faired better than I did he won first and so won a money prize of £3.00. We played cards the night before and we came away with a lot of prizes. I won first and got bacon and tomatoes (tinned). DH got the lowest score and won a tin of rice pudding. Then we won a raffle prize of a packet of wafers which we gave for her grand children.

RONNI Sorry to hear that your furnace has broken I bet they are expensive to replace. It is one subject that gets me onto my soap box the way women are treated by some men as stupid when clearly we are not. Oh for the day of equality for all no matter what sex, colour , age or weight. The list goes on the areas people are discriminated with but the one that touches me most now is the sexual inequality. It also use to be my weight but now I am more like the norm or others perception of it. Those I must add that my brain has not caught up and I still see myself as I was before. I still have the butterflies as I go through turnstiles wondering whether I will fit.

I do not blame you home schooling your children. If the education system is anything like it is getting in the UK. Here in my opinion they are exposed to things way to young. Unlike when I was educated there where things I did not know about until I went to secondary school and now they are doing these subjects in primary school.

Though as you say there is a downside to home schooling having less income. So it means tightening the belts and not having so many luxuries in life but there are somethings in life that money can not buy.

ROSEBUD Like you we always try and put a bit away each month for a rainy day as you never know what life will throw at at you. Some months it is not much as we do not have a lot left over in the budget.

At the moment we have been saving hard for the deposit on the car. We do not know how much the deposit will be till the end of March when the new book comes out with the new prices. Then we quickly have to decide which car we wish to have. We have one or two in mine but the final choice will ultimately come down to the amount of deposit. I try not to get my heart set on a car as I have done that in previous years only to find that the price as gone way up out of our budget.

MEOWEE Your an inspiration to us at the minute with being steadily on plan this month and seeing good positive results due to your eating habits. I unfortunately can not stack enough good days together to have an impact on my weight so all I have is status quo at the minute.

With the weather getting nicer I am managing to get in more exercise and doing a daily walk. I must admit it has been really hard getting back into walking after having such a long lay off from it. So it is a matter of gritting my teeth and trying hard. I am hoping it will pay off doing this gentle bit of pushing myself.

Time to go and make a cuppa then phone my sister and help her do something on here computer. My sister can just about find the on button bless her. We were never schooled in this area so are self taught. I have had more tuition with having a nephew who is good in this area who are taught us well. Bye ladies and take care till next time

purpleorc
Old 03-14-2009, 08:03 PM   #49  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we have had snow on and off all day; some big, fat flakes too, which are kinda pretty really! Milder temps too, and I don't mind that at all. I just stayed home and did stuff around here ...

PURPLE ~ Sorry you lost your post; I think that happens to us all at least a dozen or more times. I have had mine disappear into LA-LA LAND many times, as have others. On those days, I use your tip to do the retype and put it in a file; save it and then copy it. Thankfully, that doesn't happen too often. Glad you had such a prosperous week playing cards, and a nice delivery trip too.

MEOWEE ~ yes, right now you are our biggest inspiration. I'm doing well on my meals, I am really trying to have better snacks though. Some days I do superbly and then I'll have just that ONE DAY, that I get off track, but I figure the damage isn't too bad to ruin the whole week .... I hope?

Don't have much news here right now, except we had a new young female Woodpecker at our feeder today, and she came back twice; plus we had big male Squirrel here today too. Well, it's the first time I have seen him that is, or it's the first time he noticed there was food here, more likely; and now that he has, he'll be back for more ...

Hope all you ladies have a SUPER SATURDAY!!! Take good care ROSEBUD
Old 03-15-2009, 10:36 AM   #50  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Thanks for the kind words, Chickies . . . happily I'm still on track. My carbs snuck up a little too high for a couple of days, but overall the calories stayed in the good range. Haven't seen any more movement on the scale for a couple of days, though. I have faith -- in us all.

We are having mostly sunny weather and the temperature is expected to sneak up to slightly above the freezing mark today . . . not exactly Spring yet, but I have faith in Mother Nature too. Spring will eventually arrive.

Hope the rest of your weekend is great.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:03 PM   #51  
MSer living healthy

Hi and good afternoon ladies

It has been a lovely sun day with temperatures as high as about 15C so nice weather today. I noticed that we now have those sticky buds forming on certain trees now so spring is definitely on its way now.

We were travelling down a country lane the other evening coming back from playing cards and saw these cute rabbits by the verge side feeding. They did not look overly big so I suspect they where young ones. We occasionally see wildlife like that as we travel out into the country to play whist. Now our country roads tend to be very twisty so you can only go at a slow speed down them so tend to spot such niceties as rabbits, squirrels, foxes and different birds.

MEOWEE you deserve the praise as you are doing so well at the minute and this helps keep the spirits up. It is always harder to lose weight when you have other health issues like diabetis to contend with. This is because as you know you have to balance the diet out regarding sugars and carbs.

I do not now how strict the diet is in Canada regarding diabetis but I know that it has relaxed some what from when I first started back in nursing all those years ago. Where you could not even have a grain of sugar and all carbohydrates where measured faithfully. The diet here is more relaxed and you can have the odd treat now and again with sugar in. Though it must be like on high days and holidays. Also no measuring of carbohydrates not sure if that is the case if you are insulin dependant though.

ROSEBUD I should know better than to just type a post out on here but sometimes I am absent minded and just merrily type away and forget my golden rule of doing it on a note pad or something similar. so I suffered the consequences of it disappearing into cyber space.

Woke up yesterday morning as if a herd of elephants had trampolined all over my back Though as the day wore on it eased off and was pain free by the end of the day. I normally find if I end up sleeping on my back I end up in pain. I do try my best at sleeping on my side but not always successful. DH if he finds me on my back will wake me knowing that I have trouble every time with pain if I am in this position. Another problem with this position I can not move so I need assistance to get out of bed.

Well off to make some tea now as I am getting hungry now. Just going to be something simple like a sandwich or toast. So bye ladies and hope you all having a lovely weekend.

purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 03-15-2009 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #52  
Rosebud

Hi ladies ~ We had a lovely day today; started out with clouds, but then the sun came out to shine and warmed things up all day. The snow is starting to melt and I can even see some pavement on the roads. Yeah, that's a sign for us that spring is on the way ...

We had another new young male Woodpecker come by today; they really love the suets we put out. We put out one Peanut Butter one and a mixed seed one, and they love them. We had a lovely dinner of roast beef and lots of veggies with red potatoes. Just having a quiet night at home and DH is just playing with his music tape collection.

PURPLE ~ I am finding the same as you; if I sleep on my back, I have pain the next morning ... so I am going to have to make a note to sleep on my side, which doesn't have that same effect. When I start out on my back, it feels OK, but by the morning, I am stiff and sore. I used to sleep on my stomach or back, but then I switched, but I am going back to my side again for awhile and see what happens.

MEOWEE ~ one day last week, my sugars snuck up into the sixes on me; not sure what caused that, but with a few adjustments, the next morning I was back down to 5.4 -- just goes to show ya that you have to keep an eye on things all the time.

HI to VAL, and BEVERLYJOY, and RONNI, and NUMPSTER ... hope all you ladies are feeling good out there and that you all had a great weekend ...

Take good care and have a Wonderful new week! Your friend ROSEBUD
Old 03-16-2009, 08:28 AM   #53  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Hi chicks....DH and I went out of town last weekend to visit family. It was good to get away and not have to 'think' about DH finding a new job. Sorry to be MIA last week. I've been having such a hard time with anxiety and pain. I am trying to rely on Arthritis strength tylenol, ice, heat, stretching and meditation to get me thru the day. It has been really hard.

I really need to change family doctors. I got this one when mine left the practice. She is strictly clinical - never smiles, not warm or caring. I don't need a doctor to give me a 'hug' or anything...but, I just don't relate to the style of this doctor. When I was losing weight....she never noticed or said anything unless I pointed it out. But...since DH is without a job and I feel so extremely stressed out...I just don't feel like I have the 'energy' to switch. I know it doesn't make sense...but, it's where I am at with it.

I'll come back for personals...need to ice, ice baby!

Have a great day.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:04 AM   #54  
MSer living healthy

Hi and good afternoon

Another glorious day here at 15c went out in the garden briefly with no jumper, cardigan or coat so you can see that it is nice weather. Great weather for drying clothes outdoors. Not sure whether this nice spell of weather will last.

Been busy this morning with ironing and household chores. The morning has just whizzed by I must admit. So I am glad of a sit down and a bit of relax to be honest. We had lamb, with steamed vegetables of carrots, swede, cabbage, broccoli and potatoes. Then I did a yoghurt which was low fat and calories at about 49 calories I think with half a banana. The yoghurt was toffee flavoured so it kind of gave the hint of bananoffe pie ( i think that is how it is spelt)

BEVERLYJOY
I fully understand your need for a different doctor who is not so clinical. You need a mixture of someone who is on the ball medically but also has the feel of a good friend. I have a really nice female doctor who is really "chatty" and puts you at your ease but also up to date medically. I know how you feel about not having the energy to change. When you are struggling with your health it makes things so much harder to do than when you are OK.

I know when I was having trouble at another doctors practice with my own GP it was when I was having symptoms but not yet diagnosed with MS. I went along with the symptoms and all he did was send me to see a dietitian. I was devastated and so upset yet really did not want to go back to see another doctor. My DH really coerced me to see the other doctor a lovely Irish gentleman whom I will be eternally grateful. He looked passed the weight and saw the symptoms. Within 18 months of that visit I was diagnosed with MS. When you are ill you just don't have the "get up and go" that you would normally have. This is normal to feel this way and your not the only one to experience this feeling of trying do things but lack of drive.

Sorry to hear that your having a tough time trying to keep the pain under control with the regime of treatment. I hope that things improve quickly for you.

ROSEBUD Looks like your birds are coming in earnest. I have never seen a woodpecker in real life I have only ever heard them tapping away at the tree. See you have a few secret foods up your sleeves that they can't resist.

It brings to mind when I was watching the gentleman living on the croft in Scotland he was trying to lure the pine martin with oats, jam and honey as they have an very sweet tooth. I am afraid he wasn't successful so he visited a home of someone who the pine martins visit frequently. Here they were eating digestive biscuits (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaA digestive biscuit, sometimes referred to as a sweetmeal biscuit, is a semi-sweet biscuit or cookie, popular in the United Kingdom, in other Commonwealth countries, in the Republic of Ireland and in Greece. The name "digestive" derived from the belief that they had antacid properties due to the use of bicarbonate of soda when they were first developed.) covered in jam. Here he was successful at seeing the elusive pine martin.

Like you I used to sleep on my tummy but as I put weight on this became uncomfortable. I have tried it since I have lost weight but still uncomfortable as my "girls" get in the way. I know I am not so big now but I have loose skin from the weight lost. Now I usually sleep on my right side and occasionally on my left if my face will allow. When my face is playing up then I can not abide anything on my face or pressure on it.

Time to go and make a cuppa I think. This has been a nice interlude with a break from the chores. Still have a few more left to do before I can really sit down so bye ladies and take care.

purpleorc
Old 03-16-2009, 10:16 AM   #55  
Onward and Downward

Hi there everybody . . .

Oh BEVERLYJOY . . . I hope things start to look brighter for you really soon. I too can understand what you mean about a slightly less clinical doctor. Mine is okay but I do wish he were a woman.

As for you, PURPLEORC . . . I am so very jealous of your weather. We've got another sunny day on the go, but our temperatures are going in the wrong direction. The expected high today is going to be -5C -- silly.

ROSEBUD . . . an occasional day of high BGL is not cause for alarm. Mine are an ongoing disaster of late -- having trouble getting the fasting level below 9 even with my regular meds and 17 or 18 units of Lantus insulin -- and I'm beginning to wonder if it could some how be connected with the increased symptoms of pulmonary edema. My biggest fear is that after 20 odd years of living semi-successfully with Type II, my pancreas may have decided to shut down completely (it does happen, unfortunately) which would mean needing to go on a mjuch more stringent insulin regimen. Guess I'll wait and see what the doctor has to say next week.

Nothing else too exciting around here -- it's School March Break and I imagine all the stores I need to hit today will be packed.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:52 PM   #56  
Rosebud

HI LADIES ~ we had a lovely day of sunshine and the temps got up to about +7c, so we decided to go for a drive out to our lot. Yep, it's still there but we just wanted to check the snow levels to see how long it will be before it melts. Out that way, the snow is much lower than in town, so it will melt pretty quickly. Our place had a bit more snow than other places by the road; not sure why, but a couple of weeks of warm weather would melt it all anyways.

I even made a picnic lunch: we had a sandwich plus a small piece of fruit pie to go with that, so tonight we just had a light hot turkey dinner (I just had turkey & gravy on a slice of whole wheat bread with 1/3 cup frozen peas and DH had potatoes with his). It was nice to have a treat as the last time was Christmas; and we haven't had apple pie in years, but I gave NIKO my crust to cut down on the calories a bit. I usually make a type of apple crisp, but we had these in the freezer from Christmas (they didn't get eaten). I left some pieces in containers in the freezer for another picnic as well; that way we won't eat too much at one time.

It was nice to at least go out for a drive to get out on a nice, sunny day; and with the roads clear most of the way, it was a nice drive as well. Later, I just came on and looked at recipes for awhile and read my mail. We are going to be checking over the next few weeks to see when the snow melts exactly as well. We can't wait to get out there; and I miss going for my walks and so does NIKO. He got so excited, he scratched DH's face, but he's OK, just left a wee mark.

BEVERYLYJOY ~ don't you have any pain meds for your foot? I forget exactly what's wrong, but have been praying for you. When I'm in pain, I take mild meds as needed, and get off my legs or rest or whatever is needed. Hope things improve for you very soon.

PURPLE ~ I slept on my side last night and my back felt much better this morning. I can't wait til all the snow is gone so we can go walking again. There is too much ice around this place to go walking in the winter; we live on a hill, so when it melts the water runs down on our side of the road and when it freezes up, it turns to a sheet of ice as does our laneway. I had hoped to walk up and down the laneway here, but many times I went out, it was a sheet of ice. So winters here will have to be indoor stuff mostly; and spring to fall, will do walking outside.

MEOWEE ~ gee, I'm sorry to hear how much trouble you are having getting your sugars down. Hope your doctor can figure something out for you. I have been looking at the sugar amounts in some foods, and boy, there is lots more sugar hidden in foods than we think ... so, no wonder some people have such a hard time getting their blood sugar levels down. Will send up some more prayers for you too ...

Well, that's about all the news from here; my feet are a bit sore, so it's time to put them up and do some puzzles, and maybe read a bit, if I don't nod off, that is. So take good care ladies, hope you all have a HAPPY ST. PATRICK's DAY tomorrow ... for all those who are Irish like us, and for those who aren't too! ROSEBUD
Old 03-17-2009, 07:57 AM   #57  
Onward and Downward

Top O' The Mornin' . . . hope your day brings the proverbial Pot o' Gold to you and yours . . . . . . Apparently the green beer is already flowing in Atlantic Canada -- the bars in Halifasx opened their dorrs at 7:00 am this morning and the patrons were already lined up to get in.

Nothing too exciting planned for me -- may just don some green clothing and take advantage of another day of lots of sunshine (but still cold) and travel off to town for a few things I forgot to get yesterday.

Nice trip across the causeway yesterday because the ice is starting to break up in the harbour and I saw three beautiful bald eagles sailing over the open areas in search of fish -- yes I do think Spring will eventually arrive.

Natural sugars (like in fruits and vegetables) are not a big problem, ROSEBUD, but you really need to watch out for the added sugars -- you have to read both the nutrition panel and the ingredients list on prepackaged foods to know what you are actually getting. My FBGL this morning was better, but still not very good at 7.6 as compared to yesterday's 9.0.

Have a great -- but semi-sane -- ST. PATTY'S DAY.
Old 03-17-2009, 02:28 PM   #58  
MSer living healthy

Good evening ladies

This is only a swift drop by as I do not have a lot of time today with it being treatment day at the MS centre. So no personal posts to people Oops I forgetting my manners HAPPY SAINT PATRICK'S DAY .

When travelling to the MS centre I saw trees in a small white flowers not sure what type they are to be honest. Though they sure did look pretty and a sure sign spring is here for us. I know that we are extremely lucky to have temperatures so high. Though today it has been considerably colder though when I first got up it was glorious sunshine.

Been struggling to keep my jeans up today so I decided when I got home to measure my waist out of curiosity. Which I did and I was really suprised how much I have appeared to lost around my waist since I last measured I now measure 35" I was 38". Not that I have lost any weight I am a little heavier than my ticker shows at the minute by 2 to 3 pounds which my body seems to stay at constantly so it has found its niche at the minute. I know if I was more ridge with my food regime and strung more days on plan together I would lose. I have been good for the past 4 days I have been on plan so I am proud of that achievement.

Tiime to go I am afraid gosh the time sure does whizz by typing. Take care one and all till next time.

purpleorc

Last edited by purpleorc; 03-17-2009 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:20 PM   #59  
Onward and Downward

Oh PURPLEORC . . . that is so terrific to have lost so much around the waist. Measurements are a much better goal than the old scale numbers anyway and getting rid of thickness in the waist area is great for your long term health . . . you rock, girl.

BTW . . . afraid I have to own up to a major chocolate meltdown today . . . so much for a perfect month of March. I will get my act back together tomorrow, I promise.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #60  
Rosebud

HAPPY ST. PATTY'S DAY !!!

HI LADIES ~ we had a lovely warm day that felt like it was spring: can you believe it was +15c out there today, and that's 55 Farenheit? That is absolutely awesome for March, in this here hinterland ...

We woke up to sunshine and everything was icey, but the clouds rolled in and the temps still kept climbing. By the time we got back, the ice was melting in the early afternoon. DH went scrounging about and found some sand to put on the laneway just in case it freezes tonight.

Anyways, we had a good day mostly; I just didn't like all that ice that was out there today, and DH has fixed that now (albeit, with some coaxing on my part). I had to make a suggestion where he could find some free sand, but then he was on his way. Thank you GOD, for woman's intuition ...

PURPLE ~ Congrats on losing 3 inches around your waste; hey, that's just as good as weight. I have been doing my tummy tucks and such pretty faithfully only missing a day for soreness of my back and I can feel that my clothes fit better, and DH says he can notice a difference. So will have to pull out my stats pretty soon and compare; I wanted to wait long enuff to be sure of a difference.

Hope you had a good session at the treatment center. I managed to get in lots of walking today; purposely walked the perimeter of two of our largest stores here in town. My feet were a bit sore by dinnertime, so I rested them awhile before dinner. We just had a light dinner of a banger on a bun, as I had some w/w sunchips for a snack today; trying to balance that out a bit. I had some strawberries for dessert, but skipped the salad today.

MEOWEE ~ when I went to the store today, you could literally smell all the chocolate in one area, so I zoomed through it as fast as I could and exited another way; but I did have a small treat of some whole wheat sun chips, which isn't too bad, I hope. I think one chocolate splurge during Easter season is allowed for everyone. At Christmas, I found some very dark chocolate sticks that only had 16 calories each, so I had 2 a day for one of my snacks for only 32 calories. I hope they get them again next year; wish I'd kept the box to remember what they were called now though ... dang it.

HI to VAL: hope things are melting for you too; and BEVERLYJOY: hope you are feeling better; and RONNI -- hope everything's OK with you and yours, and that new furnace; and NUMPSTER ~ that wedding should be coming pretty soon; hope all is well down there!

Take good care friends ... ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-17-2009 at 07:38 PM.
Closed Thread